Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

My auto-x runs from Sunday, critiques welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My auto-x runs from Sunday in Louisville, critiques welcome.

Hey guys, critique my runs. This is my first time running with a camera. My 2nd run was OK, but then I slowed down my next 3 instead of going faster. If you guys could critique both my runs and my camera placement that'd be great :D I didn't get the camera running for my 1st run. Right-click, save as please

Run 2 54.916
Run 3 55.365 (Overdrove)
Run 4 56.859 (Overdrove even more)
Run 5 56.648 (Other than one small mistake I thought it was much better than run 2, but I guess not)

I bottom-halfed in PAX again 51/101.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: My auto-x runs from Sunday in Louisville, critiques welcome. (turbohappy)

Looks fun. It is hard to tell from the video but you look to be coasting a lot. Check your corner entry at almost every turn, you can hear youself accelerating and than engine braking/coasting to get to your corner entry speed. This costs a lot of time, instead try accelerating and than braking hard to set up for the turn (no coasting ast all) or trail brake were indicated. Remember you should be accelerating hard or braking HARD, anything else and you are losing time (there are exceptions like slalom were throttle modulation is key).
Old 10-05-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Re: My auto-x runs from Sunday in Louisville, critiques welcome. (tubedriver)

Yep, you're right. I was trying to concentrate on being smooth last weekend (been having trouble with overdriving and coning everywhere), but I definitely was giving up a lot of time coasting.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:34 PM

Default Re: My auto-x runs from Sunday in Louisville, critiques welcome. (turbohappy)

That's all I could see, it's hard to tell without being on the course and seeing the corners but it looked like you were inside on the entry to some of those. It's kind of hard for me to tell for sure though.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: My auto-x runs from Sunday in Louisville, critiques welcome. (ewaugh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ewaugh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it looked like you were inside on the entry to some of those.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What do you mean? BTW, I (strangely?) didn't hit any cones all day.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your IM.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
Old 10-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My auto-x runs from Sunday in Louisville, critiques welcome. (honda93)

i'm a noob so i'm not gonna try correcting you but have a question for the veterens and yourself

it seems like were you coasting not only at the turn in but throughout the entire corner? shouldn't you be modulating the gas while you're going through the corner and then accelerate out of it?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:54 AM

Default Re: My auto-x runs from Sunday in Louisville, critiques welcome. (azian21485)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by azian21485 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm a noob so i'm not gonna try correcting you but have a question for the veterens and yourself

it seems like were you coasting not only at the turn in but throughout the entire corner? shouldn't you be modulating the gas while you're going through the corner and then accelerate out of it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When the car has rolled on fully, the engine braking will allow you to tighten up if you came in a little hot, while a brake tap might send the rear going, as on my car.

In the run labeled 4, were you having understeer problems, it seems like you were a step behind for each turn after the long left?
Old 10-06-2004, 05:12 AM

Default Re: My auto-x runs from Sunday in Louisville, critiques welcome. (Goullish)

Yeah, run 4 wasn't very good. I went into most of the turns too fast.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:55 AM

I think it is a good idea to worry first about line and how to set up corners. Don't wory about speed, it will follow when you know how to drive the line.

1) learn the line
1) again: learn line
2) learn how to break as late as possible (and trail braking)
3) learning how to get on the gas early coming out of corner
4) when this is done than start to get more aggressive
Old 10-08-2004, 07:46 AM

Default Re: My auto-x runs from Sunday in Louisville, critiques welcome. (tubedriver)

Yeah, I found out that basically I was taking too much of a road racing line on this course, need to be closer on the corner entry.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:23 AM
memoryFAB.com representative

the video kinda made me dizzy... i lost my job so i cant afford to compete at tire rack on sunday