Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Mug23's EG K24 Swap Endurance/HC Race car Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Mug23's EG K24 Swap Endurance/HC Race car Build

Originally Posted by Dublocivic
You should be in that power range with well placed bolt on parts and good tuning. If I was building a car for endurance, I would keep the cams stock. If your K24 isnt the 06-08 TSX variety, grab a set of those cams and youll make a bit more power and stay reliable. If you can run E85 you may be able to squeak 240-250 whp out of it. Cage looks good!
Hi,
Thanks for the tip. It's not practical to run e85 for endurance races. I'll need a big fuel tank since it will burn fuel fast.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have few new pictures on post 3. It's under update 9/11/2018. Check it out and let me know what your thoughts?
Old 09-11-2018, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Duct your hood up front near the radiator, where air flowing over the hood is lower pressure. You need to seal those holes up at the rear of the hood if they're open to the air. The base of the windshield is high pressure- it'll be trying to push air into the engine bay.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

my first hood duct was cut just on the backside of the radiator when looking from above. when I moved it back a little farther (where the b series valve cover starts) I got "additional" cooling but they were tested on different days. the difference was 2-3 degrees under the hood. venting in general got me 10-12 degree drop on my water temperature.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Posted some updates and pictures on my build on page 2. Check it out!
Old 03-14-2019, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update - 3/15/2019

I have been working nightly to get this project done and the progress is moving along well. I'm hoping to get this project completed by end of May so I can shake down the car. Below is are some more recent pictures.

Here where I picked up the car from the paint shop. I want to Thank Clean Lines Restoration in Pittsfield, NH. If you need some body work, go see them. The turn around time is very quick and great quality work.

Rebuilding my 6 speed RSX Type S transmission

Comparing the differentials. On the left is OEM open diff. On the right is a new MFactory LSD diff.

Installation of K20 oil pump for higher RPM capability. The factory K24 oil pump with the balance shaft is so much heavier than the K20 oil pump. Now my engine is lighter!

Replaced to stiffer springs from Hybrid Racing for the 6 speed gear selector to get a more positive feel when changing gears

Stay tuned for more updates as the next step would to installation of RBC intake manifold with thermal gasket, K Tuned 72mm billet throttle body, Canton baffled racing oil pan and put the engine all back together.
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-19-2019, 03:10 PM
Homosexual by choice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice build. seems like a post from a decade ago. glad to see the forum getting some usage.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4/1/2019 Update

This update has one of the biggest milestone of this project and the motor is finally assembled and installed into the car. It looks so beautiful and coming together very nicely now. The next biggest hurtle will be the wiring as I will be stripping all the unnecessary wiring out and perhaps to build a brand new relay and fuse panel to replace the factory fuse panel. The new fuse panel will be installed under the dash in the passenger side along with the KPro ECU for easy access in case if needed to troubleshoot. I can't wait for that to happen as this will enable me to start the car for the first time.

In the meantime, please enjoy more pictures of the update!

72mm K Tuned throttle body

Canton Racing baffled oil pan. This is awesome. Thank you Canton Racing for helping out!

Here it is all installed.

On my JDM K24A high compression block, I needed to shaved little bit off the girdle to fit the Canton Racing oil pan. For USDM K20 motors, this is not needed.

RSX Type S 6 speed all re-assembled and ready to be mate to the motor.

Competition Clutch light weight flywheel courtesy with the help from Hybrid-Racing. Thank you HR!

Clutch completely installed.

Engine and transmission assembled

Top view

Engine ready to be installed onto the car. This is the poor man's way of engine install without a real lift but it works since the shell is so light!

Installed. What a beautiful sight to see!

I decided to install a hood louver D Max style from the Nissan 240 crowd!

Hole cut.

Test fit to see how it looks. What you guys think?

That's it for today. I will have more updates soon as the wiring will be my next big thing on this project. Come back soon for more pictures!
Old 04-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build man, so far at least. I've got a very very similar build under way, red EG6 from Ohio as well, more rust than you. I posted a thread about the rusted panels but the topic got moved to paint and body. Was planning on doing white as well except only difference was going 2.0 vs 2.4. But very similar components and concepts very cool to see someone doing it but further along the process and not being a post from 3 years and + ago. Curious on your plans for the following if you don't mind sharing.

1. What is going to be your brake set up?
2. Any thoughts on your coolant set up?
3. Are you planning on using a conversion harness if so which one and why?
4. How much did your baffled oil pan set you back, currently researching these for my build too.

Looks great though,,,keep it coming I'll be tuning into your build for sure.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OGNAEG
Nice build man, so far at least. I've got a very very similar build under way, red EG6 from Ohio as well, more rust than you. I posted a thread about the rusted panels but the topic got moved to paint and body. Was planning on doing white as well except only difference was going 2.0 vs 2.4. But very similar components and concepts very cool to see someone doing it but further along the process and not being a post from 3 years and + ago. Curious on your plans for the following if you don't mind sharing.

1. What is going to be your brake set up?
2. Any thoughts on your coolant set up?
3. Are you planning on using a conversion harness if so which one and why?
4. How much did your baffled oil pan set you back, currently researching these for my build too.

Looks great though,,,keep it coming I'll be tuning into your build for sure.
For the cooling route, the CSF V3 K swap radiator and SPAL fan is ridiculously good. At a recent track weekend, I didn't get over 160 degrees, 68 degree ambient during 25 minute sessions (~260 whp K24 on e85) fwiw.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the cooling route, the CSF V3 K swap radiator and SPAL fan is ridiculously good. At a recent track weekend, I didn't get over 160 degrees, 68 degree ambient during 25 minute sessions (~260 whp K24 on e85) fwiw.
Cool man thanks for sharing, never heard of these guys and checking them out now. Price doesn't seem too bad at the high $300's. Tucked units go a little more which I was looking to do. Any reason you chose these over say Chase Bays or Rywire just curious as I love vetting out other options to the quick choices. Much appreciated though.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems like these guys collaborated with Rywire on producing a world class radiator product. Like what I am reading on their site. Thanks for the reference man really appreciate it!
Old 04-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OGNAEG
Seems like these guys collaborated with Rywire on producing a world class radiator product. Like what I am reading on their site. Thanks for the reference man really appreciate it!
Sent you a pm
Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sent you a pm
Replying back thanks for sending man!!!
Old 04-17-2019, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Checked out the oil pan from Canton, looks legit. Like the extra capacity increase of 1 quart and it comes with a magnetic drain plug plus has a temp bung on it too.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Curious to see how that louver looks when you're done. You gonna paint it, or leave it black? Seems like a good alternative to getting a new hood.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In for updates. Curious on how k24's do on endurance builds at certain RPM limits and stuff. Ended up ditching the idea of a D after another member had issues revving to 8k on a built D in endurance races. He couldn't get more than 1 hr of sustained tracktime without breaking ****.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sorry that I haven't been keeping updates on this thread. There is so much going on but I'll post some pictures now.

I got the car on the dyno few days ago and got a tuned from Seamus at Tailored Chassis Solution in Millbury, MA as they specialized in race car build and fabrication for endurance racing. Go check them out. Top notch service. This is on a Mustang dyno and NOT Dyno Jet. I'm making 230 whp and 190 tq. Stock K24A with RBC manifold, 72mm Ktuned throttle body, K20A2 oil pump, stock 310cc injectors. Not bad. Engine bought from JDM New York and strong motor.

Here's a video of the dyno run:

Interior picture of the dashboard. I'm using 1 7" Raspberry Pi touchscreen for main display, one Amazon Fire HD8 with custom ROM and custom Android OS rooted as second display. I'll be adding a 4" for backup camera soon as well. This is all running off the CAN bus from the Hondata Kpro v4 via Race Capture Pro data telemetry system.

These pictures are from after the alignment and corner balance ready for up coming shakedown of the car to see how it will do.

Last edited by mug23; 07-15-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I forgot to mention that the car weighted on corner balancing scales with 3/4 tanks of gas on a 16 gallon ATL fuel cell, it comes in at 2075 lbs. Pretty light for a 230 whp car.

So far, all the goals I have wanted for this car has been met and exceeded too. I'll be up in Canaan on 7/18 which is a Saturday running with MassTuning to shakedown the car. Stop by to say hi if you are around.

This has been a long project and almost 100% completed.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mug23
I forgot to mention that the car weighted on corner balancing scales with 3/4 tanks of gas on a 16 gallon ATL fuel cell, it comes in at 2075 lbs. Pretty light for a 230 whp car.

So far, all the goals I have wanted for this car has been met and exceeded too. I'll be up in Canaan on 7/18 which is a Saturday running with MassTuning to shakedown the car. Stop by to say hi if you are around.

This has been a long project and almost 100% completed.
Looks great man! should be a ton of fun at that weight. Did you limit it to 7400 for endurance purposes? The graph looks like it would keep climbing =-).
Old 07-16-2020, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

This thing is sweet! Let us know how it goes on the 18th!
Old 07-16-2020, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great man! should be a ton of fun at that weight. Did you limit it to 7400 for endurance purposes? The graph looks like it would keep climbing =-).
The engine will go to 8300 RPM no problem but it is capped at 7200 RPM for reliability purpose. It is making great power for 310 cc injectors and they are not max out yet.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine will go to 8300 RPM no problem but it is capped at 7200 RPM for reliability purpose. It is making great power for 310 cc injectors and they are not max out yet.
Awesome, congrats on getting it all together it looks killer!

How long are the sessions that you'll be running? Typical H1 session lengths?

My engine setup is very similar and had no problems with a bunch (25-30) of 25 minute 8300rpm limited sessions. Magnets all looked good, no metal fwiw.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, congrats on getting it all together it looks killer!

How long are the sessions that you'll be running? Typical H1 session lengths?

My engine setup is very similar and had no problems with a bunch (25-30) of 25 minute 8300rpm limited sessions. Magnets all looked good, no metal fwiw.
The car was design to be endurance race car so anywhere between 9 hr to 24 hrs so 25 minutes is just a warm up session.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The car was design to be endurance race car so anywhere between 9 hr to 24 hrs so 25 minutes is just a warm up session.
Looking forward to seeing some video!

Quick Reply: Mug23's EG K24 Swap Endurance/HC Race car Build