Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Moving development of "miss TeX" from prepared to mod...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving development of "miss TeX" from prepared to mod...

Well since she is supposed to be an IT-X (X=experimental)...I'm going to experiment dangit! I'm so not liking FWD ever since I got the Tacoma and seen all the little REAL sportcars autocrossing. So Im going to make her a REAL sportscar - She's going to be RWD.... will take a lot of work (especially in the hatch area to move the engine and tranny to the rear and figuring out how to go with the suspension). So her new designation is IT-XR. I'm sure it will be quite a journey, but hey if I didn't do it then I would have to end up selling the FWD integra and getting a bugeyed sprite, Fiat X 1/9, 1st gen Rx-7, Miata or something....

Cutting, and fabbing, and welding...oh my!
Cutting, and fabbing, and welding...oh my!
Old 07-10-2002, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Moving development of "miss TeX" from prepared to mod... (Vracer111)

your nuts... Good luck man...

Corey - who thinks a Mid Engine prelude would be kickass.....
Old 07-10-2002, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Moving development of "miss TeX" from prepared to mod... (Vracer111)

I have been having similiar ideas (dilusions?) lately, but in a spec racer or formula style of car. Anyone know if Hewland makes a bespoke tranny? I want to run the motor N/S
Old 07-10-2002, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moving development of "miss TeX" from prepared to mod... (91SiKen)

My ultimate goal is A Mod - 500+cc motorcycle engine with 6 speed sequential gearbox in a homemade chassis and body between the size of a shifter Kart and a Miata....

Yeah a longitudinal engine layout would be nice ( a la S2000 drivetrain conversion) but I think it would be a lot easier, and cost a lot less just to give it the "Fiero" treatment and relocate it to the rear. And being rear engine/rear wheel drive I'd be making my own Porsche right?

[Modified by Vracer111, 11:23 AM 7/11/2002]
Old 07-10-2002, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep dreaming one of my mentors and his co driver built this and I get to see it run every weekend! Go to the Solo Nationals and see it clean house one last time. They are building a faster car in their spare time at present.

Part of the story is here
http://www.napylon.com/Phantom.htm

[Modified by DB1-R81, 12:32 AM 7/11/2002]
Old 07-11-2002, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Moving development of "miss TeX" from prepared to mod... (DB1-R81)

You think Prepared is expensive...wait until you try AM. you need cubic dolars to be competitive. However, if you just want to run locally in a fast car, you can have an easy FTD car on the local level in AM for small amounts of money. Just be sure in all cases you are ready as a driver for this. These are much higher speeds you are talking about.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My Civic hatch runs in D Mod, however it still needs a lot of "mod" to become a national level car. I say go for it.

Actually an easier conversion would be to use a built B18C in a CRX with the drivetrain from an EF Realtime Wagon. 200whp, All wheel drive, 1900lbs
Old 07-11-2002, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moving development of "miss TeX" from prepared to mod... (Crosser)

Honestly...Start with an OLD FV chassis and build up from there...Learn to drive a SOLO V first, this alone will "wet your wistle". Then add a 2.7L Super Vee motor (ala Formula Atlantic) then add the Atlantic wings...Throw out 1st gear and use 2nd and 3rd from a beetle (for 1st and second) and use 4th from bettle for 3rd gear and 4th from a bus for 4th gear. (There's a site somewhere that shows how to build this "frankenbox"

My Vee would easily push the 1.2 g mark...scared the hell out of me first time in it, missed every braking point. Open wheeling is great fun and really makes you think ahaead (and QUICKLY) but will create alot of "down time" and the track instead of "fun time hanging out". When your not driving, your wrenching, setting pressures, adjusting something, tuning something..ect ect ect...

Cost is HUGE...Hoosiers are easy to find (for Solo Vees) R25 takeoffs (after nationals) are $65ea with only 3-4 heat cycles on them..These are "good" for only 2 events, but can be run all season.. I think I spent about $6,000 on mine and was STILL not running well when I sold it...

Eventually I was forced to get rid of it (couldn't take the G's after recovering from a broken back), but WELCOMED the idea of returning to a street car... I have a lot more time to enjoy the event and people, then I did with the Solo Vee...
And went home alot cleaner too...
Good luck though, sounds like a great project

Jeff
Old 07-11-2002, 09:07 PM
.RJ

This car is disgusting. I've seen a well built AM car run in the New England region (bill goodman? goodall?? something to that effect) and it was FAST. He was always in the top 5 for pax even with the 1.00 AM factor. Just disgustingly fast. He did have to put mufflers on it for local events

I wouldnt have driven nearly as fast in it, nor have learned downforce at all.

RJ

Keep dreaming one of my mentors and his co driver built this and I get to see it run every weekend! Go to the Solo Nationals and see it clean house one last time. They are building a faster car in their spare time at present.

Part of the story is here
http://www.napylon.com/Phantom.htm

[Modified by DB1-R81, 12:32 AM 7/11/2002]
Old 07-12-2002, 03:44 AM
Neo

Thems is some big-**** wings. Can you say "down force"? Good, I thought you could.