Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Moroso Oil PAN LEAKAGE HELP PLS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Moroso Oil PAN LEAKAGE HELP PLS

Originally Posted by thanhtheman_ej1
hey guys, i currently have gsr semi built and in a 95 coupe that i use mainly on Track days, i have a moroso Oil pan installed and recently was at Buttonwillow and had a solid day but at the end of the day once i got home i saw some motor oil (royal purple 5w-30) squeezing out from the headers side, their was no leakage before hand so my guess it was from the pressure of the motor doing its work at the track. did some research and saw that the moroso pan leaks but no resolve issues. im not sure if the answer is to constantly remove, reseal with new oem gasket or if theirs another solution upon my researched i found this link they may help but no reviews on it (ill post the link on the bottom of this post) but if anyone can help it would be highly appreciated.

http://www.myhondahabit.com/

Hi there,

My name is Jim Bianca and I manage the Tech Dept here at Moroso Performance. I'd like to help you in figuring out what the issue is with your pan. I have included my contact information below for you or anyone to contact me direct with any questions or concerns on any of our products.

203 453 6571 ext. 302
JimB@Moroso.com
Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 AM
Trial User

Good Morning,

I read of the trouble you had with the Moroso Oil Pan leaking and I think I know the solution. If you follow the attached installation instructions for the Honda Oil Pan especially # 7 the problem will be fixed. I have seen this problem several times and once the bolts are tightened in the 3 step process the rail stays flat and the pan will not leak.

NOTE: These instructions are a basic guideline and some descriptions may not apply to all vehicles. Always consult the proper service manual for complete instructions.

1. Make sure vehicle is in Park and on a level surface, emergency brake on, chock wheels and jack up vehicle. Use approved jack stands for safety or place car on a lift.
2. Drain oil from pan and disconnect the oxygen sensor from the lower exhaust if equipped. Remove the lower splash shield, lower exhaust and hanger, transaxle brackets and dustcover. Remove oil pan from engine.
3. Install the mounting hardware and torque to 108 in. lbs.
4. Thoroughly clean the new Moroso Oil Pan, especially on the rail sealing area. Install a new Honda/Acura oil pan gasket on the oil pan rail using RTV (or equivalent) to hold the gasket firmly in place. Clean engine block pan rails.
5. Install the new Moroso Oil Pan using a slight “rocking” motion. DO NOT USE FORCE.
6. Tighten fasteners in (3) steps 36 in. lbs., 72 in. lbs., and 108 in. lbs. Start in the center of the pan and proceed in a crisscross pattern moving outwards.
7. Reinstall the transaxle dust cover and brackets, lower exhaust and hanger and the lower splash shield. Reconnect the oxygen sensor.
8. Place washer onto magnetic drain plug and install. Do not overtighten.
9. The upper 1/2” NPT Bung is for a turbo drain and the lower 1/2” NPT Bung is used for a temperature sending unit. It is recommended that a –10AN line be used for a turbo drain line. If any of these fittings are not being used, they should be blocked off with the provided plugs and Teflon pipe sealant.
10. Refill with fresh oil and check for leaks. The Moroso Oil Pan P/N 20910 holds (5) quarts of oil not including the oil filter and P/N 20911 holds (4) quarts oil, not including the filter.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

108ftlbs of torque for an oil pan? Really?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

108 inch lbs it says not ftlb, so like 9 ftlb
Old 06-21-2012, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Doh....good eye.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 AM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Builda'Teg_92
108ftlbs of torque for an oil pan? Really?
Haha.. not quite.

FWIW, I have a 5.5qt RR steel pan from moroso and I am really happy with it. When i installed, i used teflon tape on the oil temp and oil return ports since i was not using them, and a brand new stock honda pan gasket, and i have had no issues so far, after having been installed for just about a year.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sanimalp
Haha.. not quite.
I was half asleep this morning when i read it lol
Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i got mine yesterday...i like it
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JimIAP
Hi there,

My name is Jim Bianca and I manage the Tech Dept here at Moroso Performance. I'd like to help you in figuring out what the issue is with your pan. I have included my contact information below for you or anyone to contact me direct with any questions or concerns on any of our products.

203 453 6571 ext. 302
JimB@Moroso.com
thank you for reaching out i will contact asap

Originally Posted by frankthibodeau
Good Morning,

I read of the trouble you had with the Moroso Oil Pan leaking and I think I know the solution. If you follow the attached installation instructions for the Honda Oil Pan especially # 7 the problem will be fixed. I have seen this problem several times and once the bolts are tightened in the 3 step process the rail stays flat and the pan will not leak.

NOTE: These instructions are a basic guideline and some descriptions may not apply to all vehicles. Always consult the proper service manual for complete instructions.

1. Make sure vehicle is in Park and on a level surface, emergency brake on, chock wheels and jack up vehicle. Use approved jack stands for safety or place car on a lift.
2. Drain oil from pan and disconnect the oxygen sensor from the lower exhaust if equipped. Remove the lower splash shield, lower exhaust and hanger, transaxle brackets and dustcover. Remove oil pan from engine.
3. Install the mounting hardware and torque to 108 in. lbs.
4. Thoroughly clean the new Moroso Oil Pan, especially on the rail sealing area. Install a new Honda/Acura oil pan gasket on the oil pan rail using RTV (or equivalent) to hold the gasket firmly in place. Clean engine block pan rails.
5. Install the new Moroso Oil Pan using a slight “rocking” motion. DO NOT USE FORCE.
6. Tighten fasteners in (3) steps 36 in. lbs., 72 in. lbs., and 108 in. lbs. Start in the center of the pan and proceed in a crisscross pattern moving outwards.
7. Reinstall the transaxle dust cover and brackets, lower exhaust and hanger and the lower splash shield. Reconnect the oxygen sensor.
8. Place washer onto magnetic drain plug and install. Do not overtighten.
9. The upper 1/2” NPT Bung is for a turbo drain and the lower 1/2” NPT Bung is used for a temperature sending unit. It is recommended that a –10AN line be used for a turbo drain line. If any of these fittings are not being used, they should be blocked off with the provided plugs and Teflon pipe sealant.
10. Refill with fresh oil and check for leaks. The Moroso Oil Pan P/N 20910 holds (5) quarts of oil not including the oil filter and P/N 20911 holds (4) quarts oil, not including the filter.
Thank you for the instructions!

Originally Posted by Builda'Teg_92
well i got mine yesterday...i like it
Nice Let us know the finish product
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I received my hondahabit gasket. Apparently they're made by cometic.

install was a breeze. torqued to 9 per my crapsmen torque wrench. we'll see in the next week or 3 how it holds up.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crapsmen lol...that's new.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the kicked out/welded one. I doesn't leak from the gasket, but it always leaked from the plug on the front for a turbo drain back. I hondabonded the plug and problem solved. Maybe try a little bit of hondabond on the gasket if all else fails.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Root of all Evil
Stock gasket is ****, buy the myhondahabit composite gasket and use prodope liquid teflon as well as tape on all threaded fittings even the drain.
I just looked that up. $55 for a paper gasket? Holy crap.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by njn63
I just looked that up. $55 for a paper gasket? Holy crap.
i got my gasket from http://js-products.webs.com it was about 10 bucks cheaper and worked flawless. my moroso pan leaked no matter what i did and i went threw 4 new oem gaskets. now its dry as a bone and these new gaskets are reusable.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aren't you the guy that ripped off the images from myhondahabit? There's another thread that discusses this in detail with images. See below.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/how-stop-leaking-oil-pan-gasket-once-all-3067703/

Originally Posted by boosted91crx
i got my gasket from http://blahblahblah.com it was about 10 bucks cheaper and worked flawless. my moroso pan leaked no matter what i did and i went threw 4 new oem gaskets. now its dry as a bone and these new gaskets are reusable.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive got two cars with the kickout moroso pan, both do not leak.
I did use a new gasket one my track car, and reused one on the other car, both dont leak.

Easy as pie!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just had an itr at the house with one that developed a crack in the pan where one of the tacks are for the baffles. thats the first i've ever seen of that. all of mine have been flawless.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone having issues with the oil return leaking on these pan?

I had my stock pan fitted with a return and the weld keeps leaking so I have chance of Moroso pan off a friend unused, just dont wanna be in the same boat....
Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^Ive yet to hear of that being an issue.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:22 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you venting the pan or running a pcv system? i think a pan vent would be ok since it's a track car, and you probably change the oil a lot anyway. if you dont have something to relieve crankcase blowby buildup you are going to have leaks
Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
are you venting the pan or running a pcv system? i think a pan vent would be ok since it's a track car, and you probably change the oil a lot anyway. if you dont have something to relieve crankcase blowby buildup you are going to have leaks
really a good point~
Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Robin6
^^^Ive yet to hear of that being an issue.
Thanks, I'll go collect it tomorrow and get it fitted, hopefully that will be the end of my messy driveway!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGUK
Thanks, I'll go collect it tomorrow and get it fitted, hopefully that will be the end of my messy driveway!
Be sure to use a breather system esp on forced induction.

Also look over the welds on the new pan as well as clean up all the weld mess...I had this on both my pans they are not ready to just bolt up until a small bit of cleanup is done, my only neg feedback to the moroso pans.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Robin6
Be sure to use a breather system esp on forced induction.

Also look over the welds on the new pan as well as clean up all the weld mess...I had this on both my pans they are not ready to just bolt up until a small bit of cleanup is done, my only neg feedback to the moroso pans.
I have a extra ports in front of valve cover to vented catch tank and no PCV system...

Its just the weld on the return that keeps cracking... its like the pan expands and contracts but the weld does not, resulting in it crack after a few weeks... I've had it rewelded 3 times...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGUK
I have a extra ports in front of valve cover to vented catch tank and no PCV system...

Its just the weld on the return that keeps cracking... its like the pan expands and contracts but the weld does not, resulting in it crack after a few weeks... I've had it rewelded 3 times...
Maybe your welds are now brittle from all the heat from the 3 welds? I hope you have better luck with the moroso pan as I and others have had with them.

Quick Reply: Moroso Oil PAN LEAKAGE HELP PLS