Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Lotus Elise: Too fast for its weight and power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (kangaroo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kangaroo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Me too....14.8 with 177whp on tap in an eg hatch.

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

&lt;----13.9 @ 103 and a 2.2 60 ft with unknown power
Old 12-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lotus Elise: Too fast for its weight and power? (TunerN00b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TunerN00b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Weight, gearing, traction, and overall powerband will determine acceleration. Just looking at weight and peak power, doesn't really tell all that much. Unfortunately, thats all that manufacturers give us to go off of when buying a car.

Damnit, new cars need to come with a dyno sheet on the window, so we can see how the engine behaves over the whole rpm band, and not just the peak numbers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Lotus Elise: Too fast for its weight and power? (Weston)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Weston &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Exactly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why don't manufacturers like Mazda (for Miata) or Pontiac (Solstice sp??) doesn't work on these gearing and power band aspects? or is it that its all tunned to the limits on these cars?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Lotus Elise: Too fast for its weight and power? (schumi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schumi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why don't manufacturers like Mazda (for Miata) or Pontiac (Solstice sp??) doesn't work on these gearing and power band aspects? or is it that its all tunned to the limits on these cars?</TD></TR></TABLE>

These are street cars, and are mass produced. They will NEVER be built to the limits. Even cars that you are more extreme, like Elise's aren't built to the limits. Gearing is typically conservative. You're average person doesn't want to cruise on the highway at 5k rpm at 80 MPH.

The engineers aren't stupid, they just have economics to deal with.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: (kangaroo)

LOL, not at all. I failed to mention I have an ITR tranny. It highlights how important gearing is.

Your 103 mph is an indicator that you have wither a good deal of wheel spin off the line(1st gear), and/or a good amount of hp to weight ratio.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:35 AM

Default Re: (Reilly)

&lt;--I have an 97 spec tranny with a 4.7 final drive and the car weighs 2130 with me in it.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 AM
a/k/a Jomo

Default Re: (88 rex)

So much Apples to Oranges going on in here.

First off Lotus is a small time company that makes drivers cars for drivers. No compromises. Pushing the absolute limits of legality. You can't compare a compromised commuter car from a big name manufacturer against something like an Exige or even an Elise.

As far as why? Why not? I mean look at the thing. The car has 190bhp and 138 lb ft of tq. The car weighs 1984 lbs. The base model comes with pretty damn good street tires and the sport model and Exige both come with R compounds right off the lot. Not to mention the whole mid engine rear drive configuration to add with weight transfer and traction plus a ridiculously well sorted Bilstein/Eibach suspension and very tight geared 6spd transmission.

Not sure where some of the misinformation is coming from, but I'll clear it up for you guys.

Elise does 0-60 in 4.9 (4.7 for sport model w/ R's) and 100 takes 12.9 sec for both of them. Top Speed is 150mph.

The Exige, first off has the same IDENTICAL engine as the Elise. It's main benefits come in the way of Aero. It gets a Hardtop, Front Splitter, Rear Wing and Underbody Diffuser that adds quite a bit of downforce at speed.

Exige does 0-60 in 4.7 and 100 takes the same 12.9 sec. Top Speed is down to 147mph due in large part to the added downforce by the Aero Package. The car also weighs 2016lbs. MORE then the elise. The Exige just takes the elise a step closer to a dedicated track car with improved handling and stability at speed.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u need type r final drive mad jdm yo then u can pull !!! did u do off launch or top end i bet top end it would b better race....
Old 12-13-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: (Mr Hammond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Hammond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So much Apples to Oranges going on in here.

First off Lotus is a small time company that makes drivers cars for drivers. No compromises. Pushing the absolute limits of legality. You can't compare a compromised commuter car from a big name manufacturer against something like an Exige or even an Elise.

As far as why? Why not? I mean look at the thing. The car has 190bhp and 138 lb ft of tq. The car weighs 1984 lbs. The base model comes with pretty damn good street tires and the sport model and Exige both come with R compounds right off the lot. Not to mention the whole mid engine rear drive configuration to add with weight transfer and traction plus a ridiculously well sorted Bilstein/Eibach suspension and very tight geared 6spd transmission.

Not sure where some of the misinformation is coming from, but I'll clear it up for you guys.

Elise does 0-60 in 4.9 (4.7 for sport model w/ R's) and 100 takes 12.9 sec for both of them. Top Speed is 150mph.

The Exige, first off has the same IDENTICAL engine as the Elise. It's main benefits come in the way of Aero. It gets a Hardtop, Front Splitter, Rear Wing and Underbody Diffuser that adds quite a bit of downforce at speed.

Exige does 0-60 in 4.7 and 100 takes the same 12.9 sec. Top Speed is down to 147mph due in large part to the added downforce by the Aero Package. The car also weighs 2016lbs. MORE then the elise. The Exige just takes the elise a step closer to a dedicated track car with improved handling and stability at speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And now the Exige S that makes near 220HP with torque of that of an H22A to move that under a ton beast with ease.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:06 PM
a/k/a Jomo

Default Re: (cpforyou)

When it's available, yes. It just made it's debut at the L.A. Auto Show around Thanksgiving. No one mentioned the S model though.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:17 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Vitt1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vitt1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Elise is a worthy track car that is somewhat streetable?</TD></TR></TABLE>

somewhat? my buddy has 40k on it.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Lotus Elise: Too fast for its weight and power? (schumi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schumi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How Lotus do it? Even when you consider that it weighs only 2000lbs, the 0 to 60 figures are simply amazing when compared to other cars of somewhat similar power and weight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The difference is in traction at launch. The elise launches like a motherf*cker. I have spent time over on the elise message boards and people with slicks report that the engine can hit the firewall during a launch. soooo much traction. 38/62 weight distribution and the engine sitting on top of the rear wheels.

even in stock form the tires are more extreme than what most people have on honda's. the base tires are about as grippy as Azenis and the sport tires are R-compound. tires make a big difference.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Hammond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When it's available, yes. It just made it's debut at the L.A. Auto Show around Thanksgiving. No one mentioned the S model though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lotus has gotten the S through emissions and US legal stuff. It will find its way to the US either late 07 or early 08. They were saying the possibility of no Exige and just the S model.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Hammond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Exige, first off has the same IDENTICAL engine as the Elise. It's main benefits come in the way of Aero. It gets a Hardtop, Front Splitter, Rear Wing and Underbody Diffuser that adds quite a bit of downforce at speed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vitt1)

A buddy of mine stopped by my house yesterday with an S model... So they're definitely available.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:57 PM
a/k/a Jomo

Default Re: (HondaRcB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaRcB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A buddy of mine stopped by my house yesterday with an S model... So they're definitely available. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I call BS. Pics or Ban.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's at the Lotus Dealership in Midlothian, VA. I can get some pics. original owner had it for 300 miles, put Hoosiers and 2 piece floating brake rotors on it and sold it back to the dealer. Apparently he goes through cars on a weekly basis. Seriously.
Here's the link http://www.euroclassicslotus.com/allcars.aspx Second page toward the bottom. 2007 Lotus S. Get your checkbooks out. They also have an orange Cup version.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:20 AM
...still your worst nightmare squared

Default Re: Lotus Elise: Too fast for its weight and power? (Vitt1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vitt1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Elise uses the Celica GTS motor but the ECU has been remapped for a better power delivery curve.

The latest MR-2 sold in the US weighed 2200 lb according to some sources, but the US car only had the 138 HP engine. The Japanese equivalent (MR-S) had the Celica GTS engine, but I don't know the other specs as far as weight and gearing, etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>
the MR-S's in Japan still got the base model 1ZZ-FE engine. they didnt come with Celica GT-S motors in them...your seeing swaps being done.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Hammond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I call BS. Pics or Ban. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They are already on the dealer lots.

http://www.newporteuropeanlotus.com
http://www.lotusofsouthbay.com

They have them in stock as of writing this.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cpforyou &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are already on the dealer lots.

http://www.newporteuropeanlotus.com
http://www.lotusofsouthbay.com

They have them in stock as of writing this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats correct. I hang around the lotus boards and a couple dealerships are on there. One salesman offered the 2 S models they have for sticker price!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Re: (Mr. Nishant)

I've actually seen one in person on the streets, carving through the Malibu roads.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cpforyou &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've actually seen one in person on the streets, carving through the Malibu roads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have yet to see an exige or s on the streets. i see an elise once in a blue moon
Old 01-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Nishant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have yet to see an exige or s on the streets. i see an elise once in a blue moon</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just start going to some auto-x events. They are everywhere from the ones I've gone to

Old 01-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kay_animation)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kay_animation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just start going to some auto-x events. They are everywhere from the ones I've gone to </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure I would see them at auto-x's and track days but I lack a track worthy car at the moment. I'm shopping for a new car but it would help if I could narrow it down to one choice
Old 01-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Banned

The Lotus probably has extremely light wheels, which decreases inertial losses. Wouldn't surprise me if they have a really light flywheel too.

To make you feel better, here's a video of my Honda H22-powered mid-engine Mini passing all the Lotus's, including a turbo Exige, at Laguna Seca: http://www.kimini.com/Video/Laguna%20Seca.wmv

And yes 40/60 weight distribution rocks. I can go from 0-60 in second gear only (no shifting) in 3.9seconds, with little to no wheelspin.

So the Honda engine is very fast, it just all depends on what you put it in, and where it's placed in the chassis.

Modified by kb58 at 6:51 AM 1/11/2007

Quick Reply: Lotus Elise: Too fast for its weight and power?