Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

A little FSAE testing with vids!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little FSAE testing with vids!

hey guys thought I would share some vids of with the testing of the 04' car. We are testing a ton this semester to learn and improve the 05' car that we will be building next semester.

After some major rework of the 04' suspension setup we finally got this thing handling well. As you can see the places we have to test are not the best, small would be an understatement but we can get some data and work on some seat time.

Not sure how many of you have driven open well purpose built cars but damn they are a work out to drive and are fast as Fawk. This 04' car has about 70-75 hp and weights in at 520lbs without driver. And it is scary fast... with about 7lbs/hp

pic of the car in action...

this vid is of some accel testing
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

This vid is of me hitting cones as you can see the parking lot is tiny, but better than nothing...
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

I will keep you guys updated once the build of the new car gets underway.

-nate

p.s. thanks WE-TODD-DID-RACING for the free hosting! you rock out!
Old 11-02-2004, 08:20 AM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A little FSAE testing with vids! (Nate)

Using which engine? Normally asperated .6 Liter four cylinder I assume... You guys run restricter plates?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A little FSAE testing with vids! (mos)

we are running a NA Honda F3, 600cc. The restrictor is small, real small, I am on suspension and controls team, so I am not 100% sure of the restrictor size.

-nate
Old 11-02-2004, 08:57 AM

It looks as if you may be using it to funnel air into the intake through the "scope" at the top of the car?

Not the most aero design I've ever seen
Old 11-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not 100% sure of the restrictor size.
-nate</TD></TR></TABLE>

Restrictor size is 20mm

We tested our car a whole 4 days before a rookie put the car into a pole.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:11 AM

Nice! Good luck this May...
Old 11-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PseudoRealityX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PseudoRealityX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It looks as if you may be using it to funnel air into the intake through the "scope" at the top of the car?

Not the most aero design I've ever seen </TD></TR></TABLE>

to say the least, the 04' team did a few things i was not to sure about. but the large "scoop" was for more room for sponsor logos.

Any other FSAE guys feel free to share what is going on with your teams!

-nate
Old 11-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Trial User

Looks good, but it isn't a match for the Hype R yo
Dave-who wants to see this biatch in person in a couple weeks
Old 11-02-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: (Nate)

one question + one comment

520 not incl. driver is kinda heavy i think. FWIW and IIRC, top teams from last year ran in the mid 4s w/o driver. might want to look into shedding some weight

what made you guys decide to go w/ pushrods? (or are my eyes playing tricks on me and those are really pullrods instead)
Old 11-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Any other FSAE guys feel free to share what is going on with your teams!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Politcal bullshit is killing us. I was the lead suspension guy, but I left the team (because of all the bs with the team leader) only to be convinced by our adivsor to come back. The come back only lasted for a week and I couldnt take it anymore, so I left. Most of the returning members from last year would have quit by now, but the signed up for the fsae class here at school.

As a team we are soooooooo far behind. The frame isnt even designed yet, the suspension design is stagnate, we dont even know what differential were going to use, and alot more of we dont know what were going to do and use.

Nice kaa Nate
Old 11-02-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: (canuckr)

Politics in FSAE teams: . It's kindof a fact of life for some organizations though.

20 mm restrictors + 15,000 rpm = yay supersonic air speeds!

520 lbs is on the heavy side, lightening is a good place to start, and that enormous hoop is a good place to start lightening IMO.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:22 PM
cthulward

we've been testing mucho, and are somewhat behind in the design phase.

suspension geometry has been completed, and our tentative chassis is going into ansys in the next couple days.

unfortunately i dont think we'll be anywhere near our target weight this year. people keep adding weight with this or that...
Old 11-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondan00b)

good to hear the progress guys!

On the team politics, my team (suspension) is great, could not ask for a better group, And the other two teams are doing just fine. We are working well together over all but there is some major strife as to weather to some drastic changes some never really tried before in the competition or just make a few "safer" changes....

I would say we are a bit behind in the design end, we know what we want for geometry, just have to decide one definite mounting points.

And the 04' car seems to be built for a drive that is 7' 6" lots of changes in that regard. Our team goal for weight is 480 max. I think we can meet it if incorporate some of the crazy *** ideas we have come up with. who knows what will happen in the next month when all the big decisions come up!

-nate
Old 11-03-2004, 05:16 AM

Default Re: (black3door)

520 lbs is definetly on the heavy side. Like Nate said, we're looking to drop 40 lbs.

As far as pushrods vs pullrods: I can't speak for the team (since I wasn't the person who made the decision to go with pushrods), but pushrods were probably easier to package. You can pretty much put them anywhere on the top of the car, and then work the bellcrank geometry out. Off the top of my head, the only place I think of putting pullrods is on the floor, or just outside the car by the lower a-Arm.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:35 AM

The UF car is up and running, not sure what other teething problems they're working on, but the plan is to goto FSAE Austrailia with the car.

I haven't heard if we're defintately going yet.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:17 AM

UF is skipping australia. They'd have to ship the car by Nov 8th, and while it is running, it would be a half assed and hurried. So rather than waste student governments money, they are just going to do more testing and stay on SG's good side. I think it's a good call. It's absolutely amazing that they have a running car this early in the season. I wish I had the patience and time to still be on the team.

Maybe we can drag them to a south east pro-solo or national tour?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:07 AM

Default Re: (BUJonathan)

Speeds in FSAE aren't high enough to care about drag, so the scoop isn't going to slow the car down. Some teams have proven they can get decent downforce from wings, though...
Old 11-03-2004, 08:11 AM

Default Re: (Angry Joe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Angry Joe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Speeds in FSAE aren't high enough to care about drag, so the scoop isn't going to slow the car down. Some teams have proven they can get decent downforce from wings, though...</TD></TR></TABLE>

FSAE speeds are similar to regular Mod class autocross cars. 30-75mph

That being the case, look around and you won't see ANY non-aero AM or CM cars winning. Looking at the top AM cars nationally, they have HUGE amounts of downforce from wings. Given, these pieces would be very detrimental to the raw accleration tests of FSAE, but still, a little bit of loss there for a nice advantage in all the handling/braking tests would be worth it, IMO.

Jim, start talking to Mr. Team Leader. Guess is Gwinette for the Tour.

A Pro would be useless to them, other than the number of runs.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:13 AM

Not sure what you are getting at, I never said that downforce wasn't beneficial in FSAE - only that you really didn't need to be **** about drag. Speeds in the FSAE competition aren't as high as most Solo 2 events either - though I heard the autocross was faster than usual in '04
Old 11-03-2004, 09:23 AM

CM cars have wings?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:52 AM

Default Re: (TeamSlowdotOrg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamSlowdotOrg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CM cars have wings? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I hope not...

but i just said speeds are similar to Mod class cars...and then went on to specifically say AM and BM

Old 11-03-2004, 11:54 AM

Default Re: (Angry Joe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Angry Joe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure what you are getting at, I never said that downforce wasn't beneficial in FSAE - only that you really didn't need to be **** about drag. Speeds in the FSAE competition aren't as high as most Solo 2 events either - though I heard the autocross was faster than usual in '04</TD></TR></TABLE>

Speeds at the 2004-? FSAE competitions will be full side Solo2 courses. Marcus Meredith, Dennis Grant, and others who have managed the actual autocross portion of the competition for the last few years made the change, and are planning on keeping it that way.

The competition previously was a "hoax" if you read the intent of the rules, and then what you had to actually build.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:00 PM
cthulward

can you give a more official documentation of what Meredith and Grant have decided?

im not trying to call you out, im just trying to get a real document to show some people...
Old 11-03-2004, 12:02 PM
cthulward

in other news, after a meeting last nite it looks like certain aspects of our car will be both lighter and cheaper (on the cost report, anyways)

people are finally listening to my suggestions, w00t!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: (hondan00b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondan00b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can you give a more official documentation of what Meredith and Grant have decided?

im not trying to call you out, im just trying to get a real document to show some people...</TD></TR></TABLE>

No official documentation. Just talking to Dennis at Nationals about some *unique* ideas for FSAE cars that JReyenga (posted earlier) thought up, and I thought were hilarious, as well as possibly beneficial to a car.

Quick Reply: A little FSAE testing with vids!