Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Learn me about using foam to cover up holes around the radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learn me about using foam to cover up holes around the radiator

We removed the AC and there are gaping holes left by the condenser next to the radiator on both sides. T2 rules specifically allow me to use fooooam to cover up these holes. Which foooam is the best, where do I get it, and how the heck do I install it so it doesn't fly off at 150mph. For now, I got some from a craft store for $5, stuffed it in there, zip tied it to a few spots and realized that at 100mph it would turn into a foamy projectile.

More important, do I need to even bother with it?

Thanks
-Tom
Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Learn me about using foam to cover up holes around the radiator (trhoppe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trhoppe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> T2 rules specifically allow me to use fooooam to cover up these holes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Quote the rule(s) here for a better interpretation and answer.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Learn me about using foam to cover up holes around the radiator (trhoppe)

I dont know about for your car, but on the civic's i race when we removed the ac condensors (if they were there) we started having overheating issues. The air started to just go around the radiator instead of threw it. So i'd say cover it up.

That stuff you got will jsut make a huge mess. There are some super high density foams out there that you could use.

try going to home depot or the likes, and look for non-expanding window foam, its used in contruction, in zones were you need to foam windows. Make a template of the size it needs to be, find soemthing that it wont stick to (the foam that is) and coat the inside of the template, fill the template wait for it to dry, and then install it.

I dunno if cars these days, and of this type don't come with ac, but if this is the case, I'd look to see what they have blocking it.

I know on my civic (which didn't have AC) there was a plastic plate blocking off that area of the grill.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Learn me about using foam to cover up holes around the radiator (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know about for your car, ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rules? SCCA? How do they apply?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Learn me about using foam to cover up holes around the radiator (zygspeed)

can yea use a full sized integra radiator in a civic intead if that funny half sized thing, and the aerodynamic super plastic block off.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Learn me about using foam to cover up holes around the radiator (Eyal 951)

Umm, I think the question was asked for cars in general here? Hoppe is a known Subaru owner afterall.

And its not like Honduh's can hit 150 mph anyways.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:40 AM

Home Depot sell a blue sheet of foam that can be about 3" thick. I would think that is going to be up to the job. If its too thin its just going to snap and get pushed against the engine.

A few of your competitors wrap pieces of foam in ducttape to add strenth so it doesnt snap.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:37 AM

Oh sorry guys, forgot to put that its for an STi.

The rule is "The gaps around the radiator that are created by the removal of the ac condenser and related items may be sealed with foam"

The whole "foam snapping" thing is what I was thinking. It would seem like the air would just pull the fabric store foam through the zipties and it would become useless.

I think I'll get some of the spray foam and the thick foam + ductape and try out both. Both of those ideas sound great. I kind of like the spray foam as I could pull the radiator, make some kind of template inside the engine bay, then when I fill have it mold itslelf around things so it couldn't fly out.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

-Tom
Old 10-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Learn me about using foam to cover up holes around the radiator (stealthx32)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthx32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Umm, I think the question was asked for cars in general here? Hoppe is a known Subaru owner afterall.

And its not like Honduh's can hit 150 mph anyways. </TD></TR></TABLE>
&lt;--- still a noob! but my question still stands. I'm sure I could search, but....
150 is slow
Old 10-20-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: (trhoppe)

the easiest way to use spray foam and a mold is to use duct tape. What you do is layor many layers of duct tape along with cardboard, or anything else really stiff. Then you add the sprayfoam to the mold. you will be able to remove all but possibley one layor of tape. Most of the time, you can remove all of the layors. You can then use a common saw to cut the excess away, making a smoother surface for the air to flow.

Also, if you a sneeky bastard, you can inlay metal, plastic, or fiber glass inside the foam to make it more rigid. It will also be out of site. You could also make brakets that go inside the foam for mounting.

Is it oviouse that I have spent tomuch time making models out of foam and fiberglass.

Just remember, the mold is going to be destroyed, so make it cheap.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: (trhoppe)

You can always laminate the foam if you're concerned about it breaking. Take foam core cardboard, cover with a layer of fiberglass.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:40 PM
.RJ

You guys are making this way too complicated. Just use regular squishy type foam, unbolt the radiator and jam it in between the rad and the core support.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Learn me about using foam to cover up holes around the radiator (.RJ)

You *could* spray the mold or duct-tape mold with a heavy coat of something slippery like PB Blaster. If you've ever gotten that on anything, it's pretty slippery and tends not to evaporate.
Besides, ugly-*** duct-tape doesn't match the color scheme on your blingmobile.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Learn me about using foam to cover up holes around the radiator (WRXRacer111)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WRXRacer111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You *could* spray the mold or duct-tape mold with a heavy coat of something slippery like PB Blaster. If you've ever gotten that on anything, it's pretty slippery and tends not to evaporate.
Besides, ugly-*** duct-tape doesn't match the color scheme on your blingmobile. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The tape will usually release on it's own. Most of it has a coating on the surface so that when you pull the tape off the role, it releases. If you want to make sure it releases PB Plaster will work, but remember, it is still a solevent. I personally would recomend SPAM cooking spray, or linning the mold with wax paper.