Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

last race of the year for me -- Turkey Bowl coming up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default last race of the year for me -- Turkey Bowl coming up!

hi guys.

i'm all loaded up with Probenstien; ready to go to the Turkey Bowl at Summit Point this weekend!

for those that don't know, this event is every year on Thanksgiving weekend. It is a dual race format; half the races are Vintage format (prewar, under 2 liter, over 2 liter, 50s-60s cars, and the featured race marque is "60s and 70's challenge cars". the other half of the races is typical "modern" race cars. all racers with a valid liscence are usually welcome (SCCA, EMRA, NASA, BMW, Ferrari, PCA, etc.).

Friday is test and tune and setup day; Saturday is sprint races plus a 1 hour enduro, Sunday is more sprint races (2 for each group, i think). lots and lots of race action!

anyone else going down? either to compete or watch? i really love watching the Vintage guys go at it, in between my race sessions!!!

happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Old 11-23-2004, 07:13 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: last race of the year for me -- Turkey Bowl coming up! (Todd Reid)

Is there a complete schedule available somewhere online?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:22 AM

Default Re: last race of the year for me -- Turkey Bowl coming up! (John)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there a complete schedule available somewhere online?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.vscca.org/turk.cfm

this is all the online info i know of; its kinda "word of mouth" info between the various clubs, and is a casual, fun, kind of weekend.

they will hand out schedules on friday and sat morning, i think....

todd

Old 11-23-2004, 07:37 AM
New User

Gate fee for spectators?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gate fee for spectators?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you know, every time i have gone i think i have been driving; so no gate fee for me!!!!

i don't know if there is a charge to get in for this event????

todd
Old 11-23-2004, 07:59 AM

I have some friends racing with the VSCCA. They will be driving a Saab Fourmula S (two stroke w/ tuned pipe make your ears bleed fun...), a Saab Quantum 1 (the most "unique" looking car there...for the lack of a nicer word) and a really neat Morgan. The Formula S is yellow & blue, the Quantum is aluminum, and the Morgan is green & yellow.

Stop by and they will be glad to tell you about thier cars. You will prabably see at least one of them mostly appart at some point. The VSCCA guys are pretty cool. Very laid back...and they have some pretty good stories to tell also.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it up. I have too many projects at home that I am behind on.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gate fee for spectators?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure there isn't. We ran it two of the last three years so they put us on the schedule with our own run group this year.... without notifying us. It's so word of mouth we weren't even sure if it was happening at all this year.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Re: last race of the year for me -- Turkey Bowl coming up! (RexRacer19)

[QUOTE=RexRacer19]I have some friends racing with the VSCCA. They will be driving a Saab Fourmula S (two stroke w/ tuned pipe make your ears bleed fun...), a Saab Quantum 1 (the most "unique" looking car there...for the lack of a nicer word) and a really neat Morgan. The Formula S is yellow & blue, the Quantum is aluminum, and the Morgan is green & yellow.
QUOTE]

i think i've seen that yellow and blue formula Saab at a few local (BMC) autocrosses, plus a couple of years ago at VIR racing???

see ya there!

todd
Old 11-23-2004, 09:57 AM

I am not sure if they race the Formula S at autocross events. He also has a Sonett spyder that has been autocrossed for many years that is the same yellow and blue. He keeps a pretty neat website with tons of pictures and videos (the in-car helmet cam ones are pretty cool) and all things Saabness here... http://www.at-speed.goof.com/ They live in DE, so chances are you have seen them at an autocross up that way...

They usually make it down for the spring race at VIR each year. The past two years (that I know of) they have shared the weekend with the Alfa Club.

Good luck racing.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:06 AM

Default Re: last race of the year for me -- Turkey Bowl coming up! (RexRacer19)

that definitely sounds like the family i have seen at the BMC autocrosses. the younger guy had a convertible saab with a v4 and a column shifter on it; he drove it like a madman! the older guy (father, i guess?) had the formula car and went around the course like "vrrrroooooooooooom ping ping ping ping vroooooooooom bing bing bing vroooooooooooom zing zing zing zing!" very ear piercing sounds!!!!

funny, neat cars!

todd
Old 11-23-2004, 10:17 AM

LOL...There is no mistaking them.

I crew for them when they come to VIR. I have to wear earmuffs to start that Damned 2-stroke Formula S. I feel sorry for everyone else...
Old 11-23-2004, 10:38 AM
New User

Default Re: last race of the year for me -- Turkey Bowl coming up! (Apocalypse)

Thanks for the info Chris.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how about some new livery on the probenstein for the turkey bowl? I think this would be appropriate:

Old 11-23-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Re: last race of the year for me -- Turkey Bowl coming up! (JoelG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoelG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about some new livery on the probenstein for the turkey bowl? I think this would be appropriate:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

aaarrrghh!! my eyes!!! my eyes!!! blah!

no WAY in HELL my Probenstien will ever look like that! i'd be ashamed to even park my Probe near that heap; that is absolutely HORRIBLE! Yuk!!!

now, on the other hand, my Probenstien is classy, yet understated in a sporty sort of manner.....

he and i are aimin' to crack off a 1:28.xxx lap this weekend, if conditions allow it... and i even welded up a little muffler section to tame that wild shriek

todd

PS not too tame tho

PPS what the Fu#$ was that idiot thinking when he built that purple rolling wing-farm?????
Old 11-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Todd, I might actually show with the accord!!! How much is the weekend..??

I got some 1:29's in the accord, think we can race hard all weekend!
Old 11-23-2004, 02:14 PM

I will try to stop by on Saturday, since I will be in that general neighborhood this weekend. I just have to sneak away from the family.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Re: last race of the year for me -- Turkey Bowl coming up! (Honda318dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda318dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Todd, I might actually show with the accord!!! How much is the weekend..??

I got some 1:29's in the accord, think we can race hard all weekend! </TD></TR></TABLE>

awesome, corey! do show up in the Tank II, as i think we'd have a hell of a race... its $250 for all three days; tons and tons of track time; (basically, about 3 times as much as a standard weekend). there are two races each day, plus practice/qualifying, plus a 1 hr enduro. i don't know if i have enough tires for all that!!!!

i plan on running street tires on friday (all day test/setup day) to save my used race tires for sat/sun...

and keith, definitely come down; you can hang out with me and my krew

todd
Old 11-23-2004, 05:20 PM

Have Fun you turkeys

from ian who won't be there this year
the lotus needs to be fixed for next year

i ran a 1;17 at summit pt today on street tires
it was a blast
Old 11-23-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Re: last race of the year for me -- Turkey Bowl coming up! (icarp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Todd Reid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

awesome, corey! do show up in the Tank II, as i think we'd have a hell of a race... its $250 for all three days; tons and tons of track time; (basically, about 3 times as much as a standard weekend). there are two races each day, plus practice/qualifying, plus a 1 hr enduro. i don't know if i have enough tires for all that!!!!

i plan on running street tires on friday (all day test/setup day) to save my used race tires for sat/sun...

and keith, definitely come down; you can hang out with me and my krew

todd</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will down in the 81 car. if you guys make we should all be around the same times. will make a great race.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:08 PM

Default Re: last race of the year for me -- Turkey Bowl coming up! (Andrew240z)

yeah baby.... this is gonna be fun fun fun

see you guys there! have a nice Thanksgiving dinner, cause afterwards Probenstien and I are gonna whup ya......

todd