Laguna Seca NOV 9-11 RedlineTimeAttack

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laguna Seca NOV 9-11 RedlineTimeAttack

Hey all,

Who's going to Laguna?
This is THE event if you want to get in on the Redline Time Attack Final Round.
It's our last event of the season and the Time Attack finals.
If you like big events with lots going on, then this is the event for you.

And for those who are driving, you'll be happy to hear we're only running 25 cars max per run group, so you'll get plenty of quality track time if you only want to run the HPDE on Friday and/or Saturday.

For or time attack drivers, you'll be happy to know we'll have Speed Channels "Redline TV" out covering the event along with all our regular magazine and SpeedTV.com coverage. This event is sure to make your sponsors happy.

Here is the link: http://redlinetimeattack.com/index-6laguna07.htm

Hope to see some HT members at this one. It's our first time out at Laguna and it's going to be an awesome event!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will be at the december 14 event at willow springs

first time on a track.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 PM

Redline:Time Attack! to be held 50 years to the day, of the first racing event ever held at Laguna Seca Raceway!

A bit of history for all of you automotive enthusiasts out there. The first organized race at Laguna Seca was held November 9th, 1957 and was won by Pete Lovely driving a Ferrari. The Redline:Time Attack! event scheduled for the weekend of November 9th-11th will be taking place EXACTLY 50 years after the first race concluded at Laguna Seca.

Join us for the beginning of the next chapter in the remarkable history of what is now known as Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. The 2007 Redline:Time Attack! Championships is the innaugural event of what will be an annual visit to the beautiful Monterey Peninsula and historic Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

Those in the Time Attack community with the highest aspirations and the biggest dreams will descend upon Laguna Seca to secure their spot in the history books. To witness history in the making you will need to be at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca the weekend of November 9th-11th. Who will be crowned the Champion of the first ever officially sanctioned Time Attack event to be held at Laguna Seca!? Join us to find out!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nikolas)

Too bad there is going to be a 92 dB limit that weekend. Not sure how we are going to get our time attack cars down from well over 100 dB. Bit of an oversite there guys?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mikeski38)

Your sound is measured at 92db at about 50 feet off the track on the passengers side of the car.
That's the way it is at Laguna. Most people just strap on a different muffler or a turn down pipe and it's a done deal. It's not that difficult to get 100db + at the exhaust measured at 92db 50 feet off the track. It's worth it for a Time Attack at Laguna
Old 10-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I beg the differ. My Honda Civic with 2 muffler, and one of them stock replacement street muffler didn't pass 92 dB. It was recorded at 93 dB at much higher temp. We all know what a lower temp do to sound.

With that setup my car was quiter than any street car with aftermarket exhaust.

A porsche 996 in stock form didn't pass 92 dB

We will be there regardless, hoping to pass sound. We are making 3 muffler system in the Evo
Old 10-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andrie Hartanto)

Legend has it that there will be the normal laguna sound station plus a mobile station at any one of many undisclosed stations around the track thoughout the day. That is direct from laguna officials. They told me that they are going to be absolutely enforcing the 92 dB limit.

BTW, an integra with stock exhaust and a cold air intake will not pass 92 dB on a cool, damp monterey morning.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was just there last March in the cool morning air. My S2000 passed just fine and it's a lot louder then an integra with a stock exhaust and cold air. The intake sound from my S2 is WAY louder then 92db when measured 10 feet from the car.

It's not that hard to overcome the sound limitation if you want to run at Laguna. It's just what you have to do if you want to run at that track.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is no mobile sound station at the track. Like you said, that's a legend.
I know this because we're paying these people to be there and there is only one sound guy per day.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SuperKool)

Funny, I was told that directly by a Laguna official.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any Civic/Intergra with a stock exhaust system with any aftermarket intake, outside of the Comptech Icebox, or Mugen intakes, will not pass the 92dB rule. I have no clue what you guys do in the race cars, most of the street guys I know simply upshift and bog the car down to pull it out of vtec and make the least amount of noise possible at the sound station.

Mike,

A roving sound person could be from the track as a second sound checker for the track's verification of compliance just to cover their asses, or the county to ensure compliance, or it's just a myth.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:13 AM

Everyone is well aware of the sound limitations at Laguna Seca. Nearly every event, save for the SCRAMP "large" events (CART, MOTO GP, ALMS,etc) and a few SCCA weekends are limited on the sound level.

If you want to run at Laguna, You need to make sure your car meets 92db at 50ft... Those people who want to run at Laguna, will do whatever it takes to make their car meet that sound level. If it is not important to you, then you will not go through the hassle of making you car meet the requirements. It pretty much as simple as that.

It is not IMPOSSIBLE to meet 92db at 50ft. It just takes some work.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm signed up, but i really didn't put any thought to sound limitations. Its a SOHC with compression and cam so even though i have a 22" magnaflow resonator, and a twin loop muffler, the car is rather loud. (has a CAI too) I'm away from any exhaust shop I'd trust to modify my exhaust, what can i attach (no welding!) to the tip of the exhaust to help? Could a turn down pointed away from the sound station be enough?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: (Eyal 951)

A turn down pointed away from the sound station has been proven to reduce the max dB reading by several points. You can attach on with a clamp if necessary.....
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eyal 951 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm signed up, but i really didn't put any thought to sound limitations. Its a SOHC with compression and cam so even though i have a 22" magnaflow resonator, and a twin loop muffler, the car is rather loud. (has a CAI too) I'm away from any exhaust shop I'd trust to modify my exhaust, what can i attach (no welding!) to the tip of the exhaust to help? Could a turn down pointed away from the sound station be enough?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your car wont pass sound even if you put the stock exhaust on there. CAI and short rams on stock exhaust hondas and acuras wont pass at 92db.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your car wont pass sound even if you put the stock exhaust on there. CAI and short rams on stock exhaust hondas and acuras wont pass at 92db.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My Honda passes with over 100db intake sound off my s2 at 10 feet from the front of the car.
I have K&N intake.
The intake level from my F20C is way louder then that of a civic or integra.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your car wont pass sound even if you put the stock exhaust on there. CAI and short rams on stock exhaust hondas and acuras wont pass at 92db.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the intake on the D-series is quite a bit quieter then B series vtec intake.

I just went out and bought 2 turndowns. one of em imma leave alone, and the second one I'll drill and put 2 bolts in, then stuff a bunch of steel wool, then put another couple bolts in to hold it all in. A home made silencer, as long as the steel wool will hold up to the temps, that might just work.
i'll try the turn down turned away first, if it doesn't pass, i'll throw on the steel wool stuffed turndown.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:22 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

I went down to the ALMS race and had a blast taking pics. I wish I could come down and shoot this event.

maybe next time
Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: (falcongsr)

amazing picture
Old 11-06-2007, 06:43 AM

I cant way to see cars from AMS, Crawford, JIC Magic, FactorX ripping through the corkscrew this weekend!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiousity, is that 92dB limit always in place, or just on specific weekends/events?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stinkycheezmonky)

what a great shot! Any high res versions?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: (Stinkycheezmonky)

The 92dB limit is actually not even their most restrictive.. There is a 90dB limit as well, for other types of events.

There is a handful of "Unlimited" dB days, reserved for the big boys when they come to town (MotoGP, ALMS, CART, etc) and the SCCA typically gets a few dates a year with around a 100dB limit.. We're working on securing one of the higher "100" limits for our event next year.

Nikolas
Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falcongsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went down to the ALMS race and had a blast taking pics. I wish I could come down and shoot this event.

maybe next time
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, check out the front outside tire of the audi
Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falcongsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went down to the ALMS race and had a blast taking pics. I wish I could come down and shoot this event.

maybe next time
</TD></TR></TABLE>

A lot of the LMP cars were scrapping. We were pitted next to turn 4 and seen a few LMP's scrap.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca NOV 9-11 RedlineTimeAttack