Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

I suppose it must have been gnawing away at me for months...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I suppose it must have been gnawing away at me for months...

Originally Posted by RR98ITR
they didn't know how great it was at the time...
I am no longer young, yet not quite "old". One thing I have learned from various life experiences is that this statement is painfully true and often applies to many aspects of one's life.

Wisdom......its not just for "old" people!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to check...you joined this board in 2001...it seems, along with the baggage you dropped in a paragraph full of "questions", that you must have missed the last 11 years. Yes, clearly I need to give back more.
Clearly your expertise also ventures into to the realm of elitism. The poignancy of your insults is proof enough and the level of pretentiousness and condescension in your posts has reached a record high. Your accusations are never direct but always implied, that the good ol' days are gone when the "real thinkers" were here.

It wasn't a you/me comparison Scott. Your aptitude and background for the technical is beyond mine but this isn't a competition. Your capacity for understanding engineering, physics and math, which I assume after reading your posts over the last 11 years, is high or at least you make it seem as such. Perhaps it's just poetic pedantry and I'm getting it confused but I'd rather give you the benefit of the doubt. But thank you for looking down your nose at me, and the rest of us.

I've been around the circle several times as I've depleted my physical capability over a lifetime now nearer the end than the beginning - it doesn't surprise me or pose a coping challenge. I miss old friends...

Scott, who doesn't know where magic will strike next...if at all...an old friend who lived thru a time of great magic told me that they didn't know how great it was at the time...
Ok Kierkegaard. Despair! Despair!

Maybe it is time to move on Scott. I've never seen a more clear sign that someone is so utterly bored with the status-quo. It seems like your only enjoyment anymore is dressing up your contempt for us under the guise of artistic prose.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frank...I'd like to apologize, and suggest you take your lead from Colin...He totally gets me.

Scott, who wonders how bad it would be if I Didn't get the benefit of the doubt...
Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He totally gets me.
Or sees you for what you are, or at least become. It's sad, I used to look up to you until I realized you were simply looking down at the rest of us and still are.

Last edited by rice_classic; 05-09-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Homosexual by choice

2012 really is about awareness and calling stuff out huh? lol.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Colin,

I'm pretty sure you'll appreciate this coming from me...You're pretty good at insults yourself. I can see some room for improvement though. You've incorporated some inapt cliches for instance.

Scott, who has seen this all before too...people who look up to others often nurse inferiority and grievance...and it all busts loose like a switch was thrown...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said, good luck Scott. It must be mighty lonely up there at the top.

So Colin and Scott aren't buying each other beers anytime soon, oh well.

Sorry for the interruption folks, back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO, if you're offended by Scott, you're taking him far too seriously. Likewise if you've put him on some sort of a pedestal. I view Scott as a peer and someone who's opinion I can trust, even if I don't agree with it. Now, back to that discussion about lifting tires....
Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

Wait, so, the party is over?

Brad, who got yelled at for calling the better half out on a lack of common sense, last night.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solo-x
IMO, if you're offended by Scott, you're taking him far too seriously. Likewise if you've put him on some sort of a pedestal. I view Scott as a peer and someone who's opinion I can trust, even if I don't agree with it. Now, back to that discussion about lifting tires....
Speaking of lifting tires, has anyone seen the new Reatime V-6 TSX's running in GTS class this year? Some extra grunt to compete with the Mustang Boss 302's also running. Do they lift? PD said that at Laguna Seca today that he thought the car's balance would be off at a few corners, but that it turned out not to be quite so. They posted fast time of day in practice I think.

And as for Scott and pedastals, I think more of jackstands when thinking of the Coyote. Seems to be his lair.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

back to lifting rear tires

has anyone read the book How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ricoisme26

pft. That is so 1990's. We have trick dampahs now!

Old 05-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ricoisme26

Pay no attention to my elite friend Nate who is seething with contempt for antiquated dampers and printed media.

Yes, I'm sure we've all read it. It was written in 1976 and I first read it in 77-78. There are about 20 other books in the genre culminating with RCVD and RCE (Rowley's book). And then there are the 4 or 5 bulletin boards on which a few key people with experience at the very expensive end of the spectrum are willing to share their insight and conclusions which can take you beyond into what is still ultimately indeterminancy.

What's your question? Are you starting out from absolute zero? What's your goal? A quick route to a workable setup? Deep understanding?

Scott, who thinks you should probably start a new thread with/for your answer(s)...
Old 05-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In find Scott informative, knowledgeable and entertaining.
To those who want to bash and ridicule.... you are all soo wrong.

I also envy his engineering abilities.
Find the positive folks.. its there.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's something...I broke thru the wall of apathy and bought a copy of GRM today, getting the accompanying official 2012 fanguide to World Challenge and...

...and I read that the pre-season base weight for the Acura TSX is listed at 3659lbs and I'm like all WTF?...

So I go to the World Challenge site to look at the VTS's...Appendix-A...2900lbs...that's better (better?)...

So, sorry, so sorry every time I start a sentence with So...if you want to watch the TSX's Not lift on braking/turn-in and wonder what magic is at work you might consider that it's a magical 4-500 lbs of ballast and where would you put it and what would be some of the coincident effects.

Scott, who just barely let such thoughts intrude on the 30 years retrospective of Gilles Villeneuve...
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about this year, but being involved in world challenge for a few seasons I saw the realtime tsx's lift the inside quite frequently. Still have in car video somewhere that proves this.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
I don't know about this year, but being involved in world challenge for a few seasons I saw the realtime tsx's lift the inside quite frequently. Still have in car video somewhere that proves this.
My head a splode.

Scott, who is not very well acquainted with proofs...of the variety that actually cause arguments to cease...on the interweb...
Old 05-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's your question? Are you starting out from absolute zero? What's your goal? A quick route to a workable setup? Deep understanding?

Scott, who thinks you should probably start a new thread with/for your answer(s)...
I'm pretty much starting from zero, id say my goal is deep understanding though. I'm in no hurry to build a set up seeing as I don't have the money to purchase such a set up and that most of my efforts have been focused on two wheels lately attending motorcycle safety classes to get my bike license.

My father gave me the book and I was interested if anyone thought it was of value.

I'm sure there have been many many findings since the publication of the book but starting at zero I'm looking to lay the foundation for my "deep understanding"

I have read(most) of this thread https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...1376210&page=3
and have yet to reach the good part(wishing for a happy ending). Some of the concepts are hard for me to wrap my feeble mind around.

Mind you I am currently an engineering major (completed my first year) and have only taken introductory physics 1 where springs were discussed shortly and too the point and dampening was only mentioned never utilized
Old 05-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Rico(?) is it?

Well, aren't you a sympathetic character! First year engineering student, have a supportive father, AND a variety of white DC2.

Yes, by all means read the book. Fine place to start and won't lead you terribly astray.

Gotta ask you one more question. How important is it to learn about the bizzaro laws that govern the world of front wheel drive? Cause let me tell ya - don't bother if you don't think you'll be staying. Answer that and if the answer is "Yes, very much so, I looooove front wheel drive and think it's the greatest", then I shall regard you with so much elite snobbery. And if the answer is "No, BUT I love Honda motors so much that I'm trapped and what else can I do", then I shall regard you with so much elite empathy, and point you helpfully down the intellectual rathole.

Scott, who hopes you don't live to regret riding a street bike and that you live...
Old 05-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha i love hondas its my first car and i rebuilt it twice (once before putting it on the road and once after a crash) swaped it from an auto to a 5spd and have spent the better part of my money earned dishwashing and fry cooking during highschool on it. I hope to never have to sell my integra and someday retire it too full time track duty.

i currently autocross it and hope to start time attack after college maybe even road racing. hopefully i will have another honda for this, i dont want to trade paint while in my integra i might get sick.

so my dreams are big, pockets empty, and mind open i suppose i don't love FWD rather hondas of all shapes and sizes, four wheels or two(currently looking for a 70's era motorcycle)

also im a firm believer of a slow car makes a fast driver, that being said i dont plan to touch my engine until i begin time attacks and even leave the suspension alone this(my first) season of autocross aside from the eibach springs i currently have on
Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Big dreams? They should wait till after college then if your pockets are empty. The best foundation for fulfilling automotive dreams is a solid income. If that hard earned dishwashing and fry cooking money went toward a crash repair resulting from losing the car while playing on the street I hope you learned a lesson. Is there an indoor kart track in your area that you could work at? Then you could kill two birds with one stone. More than anything else you need to learn to work a set of tires and own the zone at the lowest possible expense. Any set of tires will do. Hell, two ski's and a track did it for Gilles Villeneuve. You're old enough now that your options (dreams) are already slimmed down for you. What you can still control is building your assets concurrently - pound the indoor karts while you're in school. Skip the autocross, and don't buy gifts for your street car. Park it if you can. Ride the bus. Focus on your academic studies. Do it right and you won't be a clueless rich guy who wrecks his Viper at his first race weekend. Do it right and you'll belong. There's a dream.

Scott, who kept it short and tried not to be too pretentious...
Old 05-22-2012, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or you can leave your car in the garage and sit on the computer and write a whole bunch.
Like the movie said " I rather live 38 years dangerously than 85 being bored". Although it sounds better in French. Go big or go home. You live only one time.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So should he skip college and put everything into becomming an autocross or time attack champion? Should he eschew love for fame? Should he take every low percentage opportunity he comes across? Or should he plan out a rational course thru life that steadily builds toward reasonable goals?

Scott, who has had many periods in life in which I didn't turn a wheel...and during those times other excellent parts of life were enjoyed...but everybody has to make their own way...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Life can be enjoyed in many ways , if the desire is there you can go to college and be an autocross champion or whatever you want to be . It all depends on how much commitment you are willing to offer.
As long as the will and the drive is there you will find the way. Success is not measure by a title from college or how pretty you type or talk. Success is when you are truly happy with yourself and what you have done in life.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Names of ordinary people will forever be forgotten no matter how much they live if in that life they have not archive happiness . Names will be remember even if they didn't live enough . Senna , Schumacher, Prost , Rodriguez, fangio those are names that forever will be remember . Because they achieve happiness in what they did.

Quick Reply: I suppose it must have been gnawing away at me for months...