Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

HPDE Question - 2 drivers one car

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPDE Question - 2 drivers one car

If you have two drivers who are both HPDE1 level, and they want to drive the same car, is there any way to make it work, or do all HPDE1 people run at the same time?

Basically I co-own a old sentra se-r with one of my friends, and we both were thinking about doing HPDEs in it.

Old 07-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HPDE Question - 2 drivers one car (jond)

one person will need enough skill to be placed in a different group.

the car will cry all weekend... and will eat up consumables like nothing.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:25 AM
.RJ

All HPDE1 people run at the same time. You'd either have to split the seat time and/or run in two different run groups (i.e. HPDE 1 and HPDE 2) - which may not be possible.

Another solution is you could switch off weekends - one weekend you drive and your buddy does tire rotations and car prep and switch off the next.

RJ
Old 07-11-2003, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Basically I co-own a old sentra se-r with one of my friends, and we both were thinking about doing HPDEs in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Buy an underdrive pulley (but I'm sure you knew that. )

Also, make sure you have an extra set of race pads. With that usage, I imagine you'll go through a brandy new set of track pads in a weekend.

Old 07-11-2003, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What they said. Most clubs only have one run group of each skill level per event.
For now you'll have to trade weekends, or use a second car.

That said, I've co-driven cars at HPDEs. It works fine, just gotta keep an eye on tire and brake wear.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HPDE Question - 2 drivers one car (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All HPDE1 people run at the same time. You'd either have to split the seat time and/or run in two different run groups (i.e. HPDE 1 and HPDE 2) - which may not be possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Say after we're both at the HPDE 2 level, could one of us run at HPDE 1? Would that be allowed?

Old 07-11-2003, 08:26 AM
New User

One idea is to share one entry fee for two drivers. It will be half as cheap for you, and you will still get decent track time assuming it's a 2 day weekend. It also does not wear out your car twice as much. We do this all the time we run test days, or track days. It's half as expensive, half the wear and still enough track time to have fun or accomplish what we need to do. Otherwise as others said, try running two groups if your car can take it all on the same weekend.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:21 AM
New User

Default Re: HPDE Question - 2 drivers one car (Hracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One idea is to share one entry fee for two drivers. It will be half as cheap for you, and you will still get decent track time assuming it's a 2 day weekend. .</TD></TR></TABLE>

For a NASA event this is typically not possible in HPDE1. The classrooms and track time usually build on each other from one day to another. THis is one reason why NASA-VA stopped with one day HPDE 1/2 events ( the other is NASA always book 2 day events leaving no 1 day time available).

ONce you one or both reach HPDE 2 level you can choose to run HPDE 1. However, you will most likely NOT want to do this because of the fact that you have advanced past HPDE1 and will not want to be that restricted.

It is more likely in HPDE2 that you would be allowed to share track time - but you need to check that out with the registrar and chief instructor.

Not sure how other clubs run their events.