Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how??

I don't have a cage or anything to mount to, and the plates on the ends of each strap have a bolt, but no nut or anything! why? I usually install them with a plate through the floorboard....so should I go get some plates and mount it in like that? Or is there an easier/different way to go about it?
Old 04-16-2002, 02:10 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how?? (hot_EF)

If I was interested in living to a ripe old age I'd install them in the trash can.

As all the people in this forum say, harnesses are not safe in a car without a rollbar or cage. And I imagine Weapon R harnesses aren't safe for anything.

--buji
Old 04-16-2002, 02:14 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got them for anything other than "styling" send them back and get a good set of harnesses. I just looked them up and they have no certifications.

If you insist on using them however you could always mount them to your stock belt bolts or to the seat rail bolts. As stated above however don't expect that harness to protect you if you roll your car because typically a harness will keep you from being pushed down in your seat by the crushing roof. Of course a Weapon R harness will probably break and you will be ok.

[Insert "Y0! F U ALL CUZ U R HATERZ!!!!!!!!!" comment here]

[Modified by Cobra, 6:22 PM 4/16/2002]
Old 04-16-2002, 04:10 PM

Harnesses without a roll bar or cage means using your head as one instead
Old 04-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how?? (manveer)

Harnesses without a roll bar or cage means using your head as one instead
Just about every seasoned autocrosser I know uses a harness belt, and very few have rollbars. That said, you need to remember that not everyone here is a road racer, so harnesses are ok in certain situations. I would NEVER use them on the street, or on the track without a rollbar, but for autocross its not really a problem.

Sure there are the occasional rollovers at an autocross (although I've never witnessed it), but the added control a harness gives you, could actually prevent these types of things from happening. Without a harness, I've seen many a driver hanging onto the steering wheel to support their body when cornering - thats not good.

I agree though, that Weapon R harness probably isnt very good. I've heard those are more for show cars.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how?? (Brett@SoloRacer.com)

what's wrong with using a belt on the street? i didn't get any other harness cuz i don't want a 5 point with a strap against my ***** cuz it's irritating. I've seen alot of guys using the R harness for street use.....it's a solid piece. seen one up close? If i mount it right, i don't see what the problem would be. someone please inform me.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off, you can buy a four point belt without getting Weapon R.. I've got two Sabelt four points sitting in my computer room right now... The reason you shouldn't use the Weapon-R belts for anything other than a "bling-bling" show car is because It doesn't come with a certification of any kind.. this means that it hasn't been through ANY testing... return those belts, and get something with a cert.....

Dan
Old 04-16-2002, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how?? (Lt. Dan)

okay..well, show me a decent 4 point that doesn't have a metal buckel that digs into my stomach and that looks more civil than what should be on a top fuel dragster...and i'll get it as long as the top belts are long enough to mount into the floor behind the seats
Old 04-16-2002, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's that word again.... "looks".
http://www.racerwholesale.com for harnesses.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. 1. u can set the anti-sub strap (crotch strap) a little loose so it doesn't bother you. plus, unless ur running a race seat that has a slot to accomadate the strap it will run over the front of the seat and will come no where near your "*****"
2. function before fasion. do u want something that WILL work and look ok or something that looks cool and MAY work.
3. if u want a 4pt, get a sparco(?) or a schroth harness. i know thw schroth is 2 inch and more mellow that a 3" like the most of us have.

and just a tip, some clubs may not even let u use the wepon r harness during there events because there not rated. i've seen them up close and compared to my g-force harnesses, they don't look quite up to the job

as for wearing harnesses on the street-don't if u don't have to. it gets uncomfortable and u'll be supprised what u can't see anymore because u can't turn ur upper body.
not tryin to flame, just tryin to help u out.

[Modified by SOLOef, 11:47 PM 4/16/2002]
Old 04-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay..well, show me a decent 4 point that doesn't have a metal buckel that digs into my stomach and that looks more civil than what should be on a top fuel dragster...and i'll get it as long as the top belts are long enough to mount into the floor behind the seats

Buckles like a standard OEM 3-point. If you want some names on some reputable racing harness manufacturers, just ask (OMP, SABELT, SPARCO, SIMPSON...)

BTW, in case you didn't already learn, there is no appropriate place to run anything more than a 3-point harness if you don't have a rollcage. The only place people typically run a 4-point without a cage is at an auto-cross and only for the duration of the event. Even this is taking a risk, be it smaller than on the street or at the track.

Try to imagine if your car rolled over and the roof was collapsing. If you have a 3-point, your body can lean down to your knees, or side to side so you can get out of the way of the crushing roof.

If you have a 4-point your body will be erect regardless and your neck/head will stop the roof from collapsing, therefore rendering you a vegetable. If you have a rollcage with a harness, the rollcage will stop the car from collapsing. If you still don't get it, please ask politely or go read for yourself somewhere.

[Modified by mojoGSR92, 11:46 PM 4/16/2002]
Old 04-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Schroth, Sparco, and Momo 4-point, 2" belts all have versions that snap together in the middle using a plastic "push-buckle" like normal seatbelts. Any harness with a significant metal buckle like you mention is going to be 3" wide, most likely, and only suitable for racecars with rollover protection.

You definitely don't want to mount any harnesses into the floor behind the seats, or into the seat frame/rail bolts. In addition to possibly taking your head off during a rollover, this kind of mounting could also potentially compress your spine.

Long story short... harnesses are meant to hold you "back" more than hold you "down". That's why all the harness mounting in racecars occurs at a 90 degree angle from the shoulders - i.e. straight back to a harness bar.

If you're using harnesses without rollover protection, please mount the shoulder straps somewhere in the back of the car, at as close to a 90 degree angle from your shoulders as you can find. The first place that comes to mind is the rear seatbelt bolts. I'd even settle for the floorpan under the rear seat cushion. Just please don't mount them on the floor behind the seats.

Not trying to preach or judge, just trying to keep you from getting paralyzed (or worse)...

Hope it helps,

Jon
Old 04-16-2002, 07:47 PM
New User

Default Re: Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how?? (SOLOef)

Guys - he has said nothing about participating in any motorsports activities however he has mentionned bling bling looks. It is obvious he doesn't give a rats *** about function so leave him alone with his pimpy **** Weapon R crapola.

Remember - it is ALL about the IMAGE of speed and performance.

Kid: Here is a hint for you - Functional harnesses ARE NOT comfortable. Don't think that Weapon R came up with some revolutionary concept - they didn't. Racing harnesses manufactured now are made by companies that have been doing it for a long time. I am confident when I tell you they are designed to be as comfortable as FUNCTION will allow.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as for wearing harnesses on the street-don't if u don't have to. it gets uncomfortable and u'll be supprised what u can't see anymore because u can't turn ur upper body.
not tryin to flame, just tryin to help u out.
i'm glad you brought that up. the ENTIRE reason i got this harness in the first place is cuz i got Arospeed seats. My stock seat belt buckle is welded to my stock seat frame. I don't see how i can relocate it on my new Arospeeds....so in comes the harness. if someone can suggest a decent way to delete the harness option then i'd LOVE to hear it. i don't go to the track, i'm not into auto X at ALL.....my car only sees street use...never even been to the drag track.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:51 PM
New User

Default Re: Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how??

Bling Bling!

Old 04-16-2002, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how?? (Cobra)

Guys - he has said nothing about participating in any motorsports activities however he has mentionned bling bling looks. It is obvious he doesn't give a rats *** about function so leave him alone with his pimpy **** Weapon R crapola.

Remember - it is ALL about the IMAGE of speed and performance.

Kid: Here is a hint for you - Functional harnesses ARE NOT comfortable. Don't think that Weapon R came up with some revolutionary concept - they didn't. Racing harnesses manufactured now are made by companies that have been doing it for a long time. I am confident when I tell you they are designed to be as comfortable as FUNCTION will allow.
why are you being a *****? seriously.. .i didn't say anything about 'bling bling'!!!!???? I didn't say anything about the 'image' of speed and performance! i just don't see how it's outrageous to have something look nice? man...please revert to my previous post and maybe you can actually help me instead of just being a *****. people like you are what i don't like about H-T...you just ASSUME i'm some dumb riceboy without even giving me the benefit of the doubt
Old 04-16-2002, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bling Bling!
[SARCASM]
Hey, those are the bargin seats I've been searching for, for STS! Thanks Cobra!
[/SARCASM]

[Modified by mojoGSR92, 11:54 PM 4/16/2002]
Old 04-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...Arospeed seats...
There you have it, folks.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if someone can suggest a decent way to delete the harness option then i'd LOVE to hear it.

The best way would be to not install those seats.

Maybe this is a stupid question but... if you don't race at all, why do you want all this "racing style" equipment? The reason I say "racing style" is because neither of the brands you mention (Weapon R and Arospeed) have proper certifications for actual competition use as far as I know.

If you were going to get into performance events one day, you would need to replace that stuff anyway. And, it sounds to me like it's actually going to make your street driving MORE dangerous than it would be with stock seats & belts.

Seriously not trying to flame... I just honestly don't understand why you would take out a safe, proven stock setup to put in "racing style" aftermarket stuff that could potentially do more harm than good. Especially with the crazy *** drivers everywhere these days.

Again- no offense intended. All any of us are trying to do is keep you from getting hurt...

Sincerely,

Jon
Old 04-16-2002, 07:59 PM
New User

I am being a *****? Sorry. Forgive me for not being concerned with looks when safety is at risk. How shitty of me . . .
Old 04-16-2002, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup. the bling is strong with this one.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how?? (getfast)

if someone can suggest a decent way to delete the harness option then i'd LOVE to hear it.

The best way would be to not install those seats.

Maybe this is a stupid question but... if you don't race at all, why do you want all this "racing style" equipment? The reason I say "racing style" is because neither of the brands you mention (Weapon R and Arospeed) have proper certifications for actual competition use as far as I know.

If you were going to get into performance events one day, you would need to replace that stuff anyway. And, it sounds to me like it's actually going to make your street driving MORE dangerous than it would be with stock seats & belts.

Seriously not trying to flame... I just honestly don't understand why you would take out a safe, proven stock setup to put in "racing style" aftermarket stuff that could potentially do more harm than good. Especially with the crazy *** drivers everywhere these days.

Again- no offense intended. All any of us are trying to do is keep you from getting hurt...

Sincerely,

Jon
thanks for actually being nice Jon...as far as you other ****** the reason i got the seats:
i have a 92 CX....VINYL interior. i live in texas. 105 degree summers. the vinyl SUCKS A NUT, sticks to me, and the seats have NOOOO back support at all. it hurts my back just to drive to the store. i got the Arospeed seats (sorry if that makes me ricey) because they looked good, and you know what? they feel great. cost me less than it would to get my stock seats redone. man guys..sorry....forget i asked. seriously.

yeah Cobra, you are a *****. you could have simply and politely stated your reasons, but instead you threw it up in my face like i'm some dumb riceboy who cares ONLY about looks. thanks bro.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how?? (getfast)

Non-certified ebay specials cost A LOT less than certified seats/harness + roll cage. That's logic enough, just not enough to find out it can be dangerous.

Jonathan -
Who is also just trying to help a fellow human being from being injured.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:02 PM

We will have no part in your death when investigators look up your comp and find out we have been giving you bad info... We can be linked as accomplises. We WONT be. So until you have something that has:

A: certs
B: certs
C: certs

go ask APC... they would know all about it...

And FYI. I have never seen a harness that is DOT approved for street usage... That means you can be tickets for no belts... And then you bitch about the cop..

Y0zzz I hadz mYz mAd tIzzItez Weapon Type R super street harnezz y0!!! That pig waz a ****** pig y0zzz!!!

Shut up and kill yourself. God I hope you havent pro-created yet...
Old 04-16-2002, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup. the bling is strong with this one.
WTF? how is the 'bing' strong with me? you know nothing about me! man.....this has got to be the most allianced group i've ever seen.

Quick Reply: Help installing Weapon R seat harnesses....how??