Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

help with brakes.....did install, having problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with brakes.....did install, having problems

ok guys,
i just did my brembo rotors (X drilled/slotted) and Hawk HP+ pad install. im havintg some issues.

This morning i went out and pumped the brake for a good 5 mins, still soft pedal feel, i guess this is normal for the new set up and i have to get adjusted.

secondly, i have shitty braking power, im not concerned as i estimate braking power is reduced 70% while break in period occurs.

THIRDLY, my main concern. my pads are running on my rotors. by this i mean that i can be on a hill stopped, and if i take my foot off the brake, normally i should roll down the hill, correct. no not me, ill sit there. for instance if i am doing 50 mph and i let off the gas, i should coast with ease, not me. ill start to slow down. i dont know waht the problem is, and i havent determined what or which wheels are causing the problem but its def a problem and its not normal. can anyone offer any thoughts as to what might cause my pads to stay locked onto my rotors. i only drove 15 miles today and thats all i plan to drive untill i figure this out, im NOT going to ruin this brand new set up, buts its really stressing me out. please!
Old 04-01-2002, 08:05 AM
.RJ

Default Re: help with brakes.....did install, having problems (NYb16)

Did you open the bleeder valve at all when installing them? are you sure everything is seated properly? R&R them to make sure.

Ryan
Old 04-01-2002, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help with brakes.....did install, having problems (Type-RJ)

THINK i found the problem.......siezed caliper pin.....currently letting liquid wrench do its job, ill check back in a few with update!
Old 04-01-2002, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take all those caliper pins out an lube them up with some grease.. BTW, its the pads that are going to make your car stop better, not the rotors
Old 04-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help with brakes.....did install, having problems (Honda318dx)

yea the one pin was stuck closed, i had to beat it out witha hammer. lubed it up and popped her back in, hopefully this will work.

as for pads, i went with the Hawk HP+s i hope i made a wise choice?........
Old 04-01-2002, 10:30 AM
Wrong-Way Wang

The pads are fine, but those rotors, ugg...

Next time get blanks. No marketing crossdrilled or slotting non-sense.

Warren
Old 04-01-2002, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help with brakes.....did install, having problems (Warren)

rotors were free........cant complain, my GF got them for me. plus its fun to say "yea those are BREMBO's" even if they arnt a whole OEM Porsche set up
Old 04-01-2002, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get back to us in a year and let us know what you think then... They look tough as hell but slots/holes/etc are absolute magic when it comes to starting cracks. Seriously, if you can find someone to buy them from you right now (and not disappoint the GF!) and buy stock rotors, you will be money ahead inside of two years.

Kirk
Old 04-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help with brakes.....did install, having problems (Knestis)

Ok, i dont doubt you guys, ive also heard the stories of cracked rotors etc etc.

but why would just about aftermarket upgrade include slotted or cross drilled rotors (Baer, Wilwood, Brembo etc)

and why are they OEM parts on porsche, ferarri, lambo etc?
something must be right for them to be on these cars. any insight?
Old 04-01-2002, 07:30 PM
.RJ

Brembo rotors are better than most. Why? because they are cast and heat treated. Then drilled, chamfered, heat treated, and finished properly. They'll last the longest out of all of the aftermarket drilled rotors.

Most other guys use oem type cheap-o blanks, and drill them and probably bake them in the oven (thats what gives them their bronze-ish appearance). I even found one website (which looked like it was done by a 4th grader using frontpage) that was selling "brembo" cross drilled rotors for dirt cheap. Further digging: they were brembo blanks, but drilled after they were packaged and ready to sell. This same discussion went on my saturn mailing list a while back, and after i tried to educate people about the dangers of all that crap and how KVR/Stillen/etc rotors were crap, some jackass pointed out this website and said "see, brembo rotors arent expensive". So theres alot of mis information going around out there about these....

Ryan
Old 04-05-2002, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

while on the subject of brakes,
has anyone else had a problem with the shims of the HP+'s sliding around/off the back of the pad when the pad is up to temperature?

Mine have a small tendancy to do this (the outer pads) the shims slide around when the glued backing allows for the movement at the given temp and the shim ends up contacting my hub grinding and squealing, really annoying if you ask me, I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience? TIA
Old 04-05-2002, 08:38 AM

Default Re: help with brakes.....did install, having problems (SOHCArchangel)

What's the grease you're using on the shims and pads?

Molykote M77?

Supposedly, it is better to use molybdenum disulfide grease, rather than any sticky, gluey anti-squeal compound b/c the parts "float" independently of each other.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:03 AM

__________________________________________________ __________________

Quote:

and why are they OEM parts on porsche, ferarri, lambo etc?
something must be right for them to be on these cars. any insight?

__________________________________________________ _________________

Actually they are not!Take a close look at the Ferrari rotors on the street cars VS the race cars. They are the same in most regards.The "kits" you buy don't have the same rotor as the Ferrari ones. The Ferrari rotors are much beefier in thickness , and all the holes are drilled and mitered then heat treated to prevent cracks.

A replacement set of front rotors for the F355 are $2000...( don't ask me why I know this ! )..same on the 360. The kits don't include the better parts because of the $$$$$. They use cheaper parts because they know most racers are not going to use these , they are mostly for high performance street applications....and for show. Yes....even Brembo sells some parts for their look rather than performance....gotta pay the bills ;-)

Ciao'

-sj-
http://www.sportauto.cc
Old 04-05-2002, 10:24 AM

Default Re: help with brakes.....did install, having problems (N24RE)

A replacement set of front rotors for the F355 are $2000...( don't ask me why I know this ! )..same on the 360.
They'd better be ceramic for that kind of money.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:34 AM
.RJ

Default Re: help with brakes.....did install, having problems (bps2799)

not ceramic. Cost of materials, cost of processing, cost of quality control. How happy would a Ferarri owner be if his brake rotors were showing signs of spider cracking around the holes? Not very. The holes in the rotors are integrally cast into them, then chamfered, heat treated, etc, etc. Its a very stout peice. I've seen the porsche OEM rotors, and they look nothing like the riced out crap that most companies (stillen, kvr, etc) sell. However, they sell.

So the companies make money off of riceboys who are willing to pay too much money for inferior products. Since the bottom line is whats important, they'll sell it along with other inferior crap. Its not their fault that the consumer cant make an informed decision other than "that looks madd TiZziTe y0!!! mY doGg goTs DeM' oN hIz r1De y0!"
Old 04-05-2002, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the grease you're using on the shims and pads?

Molykote M77?

Supposedly, it is better to use molybdenum disulfide grease, rather than any sticky, gluey anti-squeal compound b/c the parts "float" independently of each other.
there is no grease, these are the shims that came adhered to the pad straight from hawk, i just noticed they had cut a nice groove on the inside of my wheel.... i will go to the dealer and get new shizmz
Old 04-05-2002, 10:51 AM

Once again being the drag racer, I love not needing brakes like you guys do. I wish my brakes were smaller so that I could run a smaller wheel/slick combo. Good info on the cross drilled though, us drag racers dont have experience with them like you all. Very interesting. With my stock 4 wheel disc, my 2300lb car stops nicely.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:57 AM
New User

Default Re: help with brakes.....did install, having problems (bigblockEG)

I've used them all, street and track - cross-drilled, slotted, and solid. And each has cracked after a while, too. But I haven't noticed any more problems with the slotted or drilled ones than I have with the solid ones, and they've lasted as long or longer.

Based on my experience, I would suggest you keep using them, just keep an eye on them. There's no need to remove them the way a few people here are insisting.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:11 AM
.RJ

Default Re: help with brakes.....did install, having problems (bigblockEG)

no need to shitcan 'em.... just be nice with them (i.e. dont get 'em real hot then wash your car).

As far as stock 4 wheel disc stopping the car well enough? Good Alot of people think they need more "brake" when they just need sticky tires and better brake pads... i would think that the rapid heating/cooling cycles (though less often) would be hell on drilled rotors for drag racing... 100-0 stops, and then you sit while your brakes heat soak themselves into oblivion...
Old 04-05-2002, 11:39 AM

not ceramic. Cost of materials, cost of processing, cost of quality control. How happy would a Ferarri owner be if his brake rotors were showing signs of spider cracking around the holes? Not very. The holes in the rotors are integrally cast into them, then chamfered, heat treated, etc, etc. Its a very stout peice. I've seen the porsche OEM rotors, and they look nothing like the riced out crap that most companies (stillen, kvr, etc) sell. However, they sell.

So the companies make money off of riceboys who are willing to pay too much money for inferior products. Since the bottom line is whats important, they'll sell it along with other inferior crap. Its not their fault that the consumer cant make an informed decision other than "that looks madd TiZziTe y0!!! mY doGg goTs DeM' oN hIz r1De y0!"

Why do they need the holes to begin with? Modern pad formulas shouldn't outgas much, esp. not in a street application, even w/ a Ferrari or Porsche. I'd prefer cheaper rotors w/o holes, since they are wear items, not conversation pieces to display on the coffee table. But if you've got $150K to spend on a car, I guess you can afford $2K rotors.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:00 PM
.RJ

I imagine there is still a use for them. Heat dissipation? Not sure. I'm not a brake system enginerd...

Why do they need the holes to begin with?
One would think. I used to work at a MB/Porsche/Audi/Land Rover dealer, and i never got tired of amusing myself with the MB customers that would come in and bitch about the $600 service (30K) on their $50,000 car.

<storytime>
Funny story though - one day a kid (19-20 yrs old) rolled up in a '97-'98 911 C4, with custom turbo banana yellow paint, and a custom RUF interior and exhaust and headers (not sure what else, thats just all i could see). Turns out, he bought from a guy who had the work done, and his parents just threw the $100,000 away for this kid to buy this car. He had no mechanical inspection of any sort done on the vehicle before he bought it, and as luck would have it brake rotors are warped and pads were shot. Of course the service advisor recommends pads+rotors, which would be $1500 or so ($250/ea for rotors, $200+ for pads, add labor). So the kid starts whining... and complaining... says "well my parents bought me the car but i gotta do maintenance". And says he wanted to come in and bring aftermarket (non OEM) parts in for the job. Service advisor told him no, they wouldnt do the job at first. Then he sez he would in no way warranty the work, and then challenged him to find another shop that would work on that car. Funny thing was... 3 days later, he came back and had the work done on the car. He paid for it alright.... on mom & dad's credit card. It just makes me very very sad, for people who have no appreciation for a nice vehicle like that. Probably got wrapped around a tree somewhere.

But if you've got $150K to spend on a car, I guess you can afford $2K rotors.
Old 04-06-2002, 05:49 AM

Actully, they are not drilled my brembo, aftermarket people buy the blanks and drill them themselves.
Old 04-06-2002, 06:12 AM

Those Porsche and Ferrari rotors are cast with the holes in them and its done to reduce unsprung weight. When a rotor is that large every little bit helps. FWIW I attend track events at which there is a couple that drive a semi-new Carrera. The husband in the instructor group and the wife in the intermediate, completely stock setup stock pads the whole 9 yards and they run all day long with 0 problems. Many times in back to back sessions.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:20 AM
.RJ

Default Re: help with brakes.....did install, having problems (electronspeeder)

I know, thats why most of the aftermarket ones are crap.

Actully, they are not drilled my brembo, aftermarket people buy the blanks and drill them themselves.
Old 04-06-2002, 08:50 AM

You get what you pay for

Quick Reply: help with brakes.....did install, having problems