Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Hawk HPS vs HP-Plus on a street/track driven car, whats your preference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hawk HPS vs HP-Plus on a street/track driven car, whats your preference? (n1_egsex)

My set up on my STS Civic Si.

Street and AutoX - I run STS so I use street tires and not R-comps
front - HPS
rear - cheapo parts store

Track - I am now on R compound tires
front - Hawk Black (no longer available) now will use Hawk Blue or HT-10 with dedicated track rotors (again, from the local parts store)
rear - same cheapo parts store
Old 12-26-2007, 08:22 AM

HP+ a great for an all around pad they do however sqeak alot and are moderate dusting pads. They will stop damn quick though.

HPS I'm meh about, noticeable stopping difference over chepo Vatozone pads but not really sure if they are worth the cash.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:16 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jzenki)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jzenki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HP+ a great for an all around pad they do however sqeak alot and are moderate dusting pads. They will stop damn quick though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm using HP+ on both street and track, and mine never squeal at all. They do dust a fair amount, though. I like them; I think they're a great dual-purpose pad, and even if you are only using them on the street, they're fine.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hawk HPS vs HP-Plus on a street/track driven car, whats your preference? (n1_egsex)

I've been using the HPS and love em'
Old 12-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have yet to use either but ordered the hps to start w/ and will probably progress to the hp+ down for next time.

how bad do the hp+ squeal when cold and how efficient are they at stopping when completely cold and out of the temp window of when they work best...

you guys are saying the hps are horrible/scary for track, how do they compare w/ oem pads when on track?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 PM

Default Re: (georgiajdm)

Autozone rotors all the way around, Autozone rear cheapo pads, Hawk HP+ pads in front

Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by georgiajdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how bad do the hp+ squeal when cold</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine don't squeal at all, cold or hot.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by georgiajdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how efficient are they at stopping when completely cold and out of the temp window of when they work best...</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're just fine. I never even notice any reduced stopping power whatsoever when they're cold. Zero. Zilch. Nada. (Unlike other pads - I noticed it a lot with the Porterfield R-4, for example.)
Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Default hps/hp+

The hps dont usually make noise, but you can definitely hear the HP+ digging in. Its not a loud high pitched squeal though, more like lots of nails on chalkboard almost like pads that have gone metal to metal, but not very loud. I find HP+ to be unfit for real track use though. I did 3 days this year with HP+ and brembo rotors up front, 2" ducts as well, stock drums rear with new honda shoes, Motul 600 freshly bled, 225 r comps one day, and 205 azenis another 2 days.

They were good for about 2 120 to 60mph slow downs. Then they seemed to fade a bit, they never totally fell off, but they just didnt have enough friction once the temp was up. The tire had more grip than the brakes could use lets put it that way.

The HP+ feel great for autocrossing with R comps, HPS are fine on street tires for autocross, i think they still have more bite and temp tolerance than most OEM type pads.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hps/hp+ (EG8steve)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG8steve &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They were good for about 2 120 to 60mph slow downs. Then they seemed to fade a bit, they never totally fell off, but they just didnt have enough friction once the temp was up. The tire had more grip than the brakes could use lets put it that way.

The HP+ feel great for autocrossing with R comps, HPS are fine on street tires for autocross, i think they still have more bite and temp tolerance than most OEM type pads.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is exactly my opinion of them as well. If you are in a Street Tire class... go with HPS. Anything on R comps... HP+
Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im currently running the HPS pads on my DD and they hold up really well. As for your situation, you should def. run the hp plus pads. IMO a little squeaking and dust wouldn't matter to me since the car is not your DD and is for mainly used for the track.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:21 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for your situation, you should def. run the hp plus pads. IMO a little squeaking and dust wouldn't matter to me since the car is not your DD and is for mainly used for the track. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought the OP was looking for a recommendation for street and track. For a car that is mainly used for the track, I would suggest using a more aggressive, track-only type pad, rather than the HP+.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

Daily driven EK, about 3 track days per year.

Front - Project Mu HC+
Rear - Project Mu Bforce

Little dusty on the front though.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not both? I ran HP+ on the front & HPS along with ATE Super Blue on the rear of my 96 Cobra (all 3600 pounds of it.)
The HP+ were noisy & very dirty on the street. But I put 170 miles on the car over 2 days at Beaverun and had zero fade. In fact, I even corded a set of tires but the pads held up great.

The HPS is a great street pad - put some on the front of my 01 Outback because I tow with it. Mild upgrade that takes street heat very well. No noise, limited dust.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Suspetise...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by georgiajdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you guys are saying the hps are horrible/scary for track, how do they compare w/ oem pads when on track?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I personally liked OEM ITR pads MORE than HPS for every single type of driving (street, track, whatever). I hate HPS that much.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:26 PM

anything less than HP+ should be banned from the track. ive driven on some HPS for autox and they were decent, but no way they could handle 100+mph stops to 45 nearly as stable or quickly. my hp+ were super noisy though, worse than a garbage truck or a train (when used with slotted rotors). Yah they fade a bit after about 4-6 hot laps, but i had no problem with them even when they were smoking the modulation was fine and pedal feel was solid..
Old 01-20-2008, 03:23 PM
AW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wanahonda)

HP+ for the street is fine. I used HPS once on the track becayse I forgot to check what I had in before going out. Fade after 2 laps. Came in and saw that I had the HPS instead of my HP+'s in. Blue's are definitely too much if you are still using HPS's. I used Blue for a while until I tried Cobalt Friction GT Sports and that is what I still use but only for the track
Old 01-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AW)

i run HP+ on the front of my miater for autocrosses and my wife will be using the same for track days. i also run them on the front of my 86 Civic Si with great success.

i love 'em and until they fail me or are discontinued, i will use them.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, you can't get a single pad that does everything well. (If you could, we would all be using the same pads!)

As noted on the Hawk website, their Performance Ceramic pads are designed for low noise and low dust. I would conclude that they are better in that respect than the HPS or HP+. However, I would also assume that the HP+, and probably the HPS, offer better braking performance and, in particular, better ability to stand up to heat on track days.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ceramic are really scary if you live in areas with snow. When they are cold/wet they do NOTHING! You have to warm them up/dry them off, kinda scary in a panic situation at highway speeds. I would have to warm up the pads to even slow down for off-ramps. Switched to HP+, 1000X better.