Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Good pedals/pedal covers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good pedals/pedal covers?

I feel like a damned ricer, but...I have been eyeing the Mugen pedals for a LONG time, but can't bring myself to spend $150 on them Does anyone know of a knock-off or something similar so that the brake/clutch have grip while the gas is almost completely smooth?
This seems like it would be a good combination...

::EDIT::

Though, I guess I could just buy some Razo knock-offs, let's say, with the mesh pedals and then make my own accelerator pedal from homedepot stock...any thoughts?
Old 07-13-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (ion_four)

I got a set of sparco's for my b-day:

http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/...d=715

I was reluctant at first to install them, but after a few track sessions I started to like them. The little black grip strip helps somewhat, but you might be able to modify these things if you need the extra grip. If I were you though, I would spend the money on something more usable (brake pads or rotors). When it comes down to it the oem rubber inserts are just fine.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (sptsi00)

I have used the cast aluminum bolt-ons road racing and at hillclimbs and thought they were great (Sparco or OMP, as I recall). This was on our rally car and was YEARS before "rice" was even invented. Spend some time thinking about how they are actually mounted to maximize positioning.

Kirk
Old 07-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mugens look like they're VERY grippy and everything seems to say good stuff about them, minus the facts they wear out and are NOT cheap.

Old 07-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run mugen pedals and love them. Grips where you need it. No issues of wear.

Thanks,
Victor
Old 07-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the OMP ones as you put two bolts through each car pedal and each metal cover has a pattern of many holes so you can move them left or right, up or down for heel and toe spacing. I've used them on three cars so far. I got a set of Momo covers for the racecar thinking they would offer the same adjustability but they do not. Next set will be OMP again, have already thought about it for the M3.

If you can use them to really make you or the car better, it's not rice. It's called an upgrade.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:46 PM

Default Re: (JMU1337)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JMU1337 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mugens look like they're VERY grippy and everything seems to say good stuff about them, minus the facts they wear out </TD></TR></TABLE>

How do pedal covers wear out?
Old 07-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (usuck)

Sparco Curva, 25 dollars. Drilling was a pain but once they're on, well.. they're on

http://www.sportscar-parts.com/
Old 07-13-2003, 07:58 PM

Grip tape on the stock pedals are an alternative.

Bend the brake pedal towards the gas pedal.

It's not too bad.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:10 PM
New User

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (Eee Pee)

I really like my OMP's.

Old 07-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (siisgood00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siisgood00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really like my OMP's.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm, the OMPs must have been redesigned since my last set several years ago as the clutch and brake were identical vertical 12 hole rectangles and the throttle was taller and wider by a lot.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (siisgood00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siisgood00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really like my OMP's.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, I like the OMPs...they have the grip, grip, smooth style (clutch, brake, gas)...hmm...

thanks for the opinions, guys, and not to rag on you sptsi, but I didn't ask "how can I spend my money best"...I asked about pedals...it seems like the ever-prevalent answer to that question is HPDE and driver's school, anyway so, thank you for your input as well
Old 07-13-2003, 10:41 PM

where to get the OMPs

And a quick sidenote, my car came with some MOMOs, and they're really falling apart, not too happy with the quality.

I don't speak italian, so I don't know if I could get them to warranty it.

-PHiZ
Old 07-14-2003, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (usuck)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by usuck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How do pedal covers wear out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The grip on them does (from some reports I've read). I personally have never used them but I have my mind set on them when I do get pedals.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:15 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (JMU1337)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JMU1337 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have my mind set on them when I do get pedals.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Purple Tenzo*R to match the springs?
Old 07-14-2003, 04:25 AM

On the WRX I have a strap-on ricer pedal on just the brake, to move the brake higher and a little closer to the gas.
On the Miata, I have the OMP brake pedal with a peice of aluminum sheet underneath as a spacer bolted to the brake pedal. On the gas pedal I made a little lip out of aluminum sheet to mount on the underside of the pedal sticking out just a little bit.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (elgorey)

I have the Mugen pedals and can't say anything bad about them. I agree that they're a bit pricey for $170 but they work (wet and dry). I've had mine for close to a year and haven't noticed any signs of wear. I drove a friends car with Sparco pedals in the rain my feet kept sliding especially the clutch pedal and it wasnt fun/ let alone dangerous. Get the Mugen, you get what you pay for
Old 07-15-2003, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (CRX Lee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Lee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hmmm, the OMPs must have been redesigned since my last set several years ago as the clutch and brake were identical vertical 12 hole rectangles and the throttle was taller and wider by a lot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually the OMP's you are talking about CRX Lee still exists, the ones you see on that pic are another model.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (Andrew 825SM)

I'm running sparco pedals, they work pretty well. I don't think i'd recommend this model though if your car doubles for street use, the rubber grip things get caught in shoes with large tread but if your using racing shoes they'd be great.

I think these were $35 or so.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:38 PM

You could always make your own Mugen look-alikes....
http://www.7thgencivic.com/for...edals

I've got MOMO Superturismos in my car. My only complant is that gravel stuck to my shoes has put gouges in them.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (CRX Lee)

I'm sure this is the set Lee is thinking of:

You can find them at (ugh) Driving Impressions: http://www.teamdi.com/pedals_SC.htm

I've got this set on my 'Rex and (when my brakes work) I love them.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (97 TYPE-R 312)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97 TYPE-R 312 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run mugen pedals and love them. Grips where you need it. No issues of wear.

Thanks,
Victor</TD></TR></TABLE>

What Victor said. Great for street, better for racing and super easy to install.

Brian.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (mugen22)

believe it or not, i grabbed a set or 19.99 pedal covers from the local auto supply store, and they are better than the mugens and sparcos imo

different spacers to align gas with brake pedal, wider to accomodate heel toe, and sexy multi color to attract the ladies
Old 07-16-2003, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (Audipwr1)

I have some cheap crappy cover style pedal that I got as a promo freebie when I got my header for my old D series. They are plain aluminum with holes. The grip is great, wet or dry, but I do need to drill and mount them more securely than can be done with the dumb straps. There is no reason why the cheap pedals can't be redrilled and mounted properly, but if I hadn't gotten mine free, I would have gotten the Sparcos or OMPs. Those OMPs with the seemingly 4 inch wide gas pedal are sexy
Old 07-16-2003, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Good pedals/pedal covers? (EF_LSVtec)

I had the Mugens in my GS-R. The materials are first rate and the brake and clutch are very grippy, but ... the accelerator wasn't wide enough for really comfortable heel/toeing. If I was doing it again, I'd get something with a wider accelerator.

Quick Reply: Good pedals/pedal covers?