Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

gas pedal position???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas pedal position???

i think my gas pedal is abnormally low in comparison to my brake pedal. this makes heel-toe extremely difficult. the car is a 99 si and i have stock pedals but not for long. i have had no problem heel-toeing in my moms mini and i have adjusted the seating position in my civic to no avail. what im asking is can my gas pedal be adjusted to be more level with the brake rather than deeper. any help is appreciated.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only options as far as the gas pedal goes that I know of are either aftermarket pedals or bending the stock one. Bending the pedal is fine, just DO NOT bend the brake pedal, it could weaken it.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gas pedal position??? (bonSI)

Its hard to do but tough it out and its possible. I want to get new pedals for mine in the future but after this past weekend I have been able to heel toe pretty well in my civic, and it was deffinitly not easy to accomplish at first. I am a tall guy so height is also alittle against me in this aswell.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:48 PM

Not sure if it's a "good" solution but there's an adjustable stop that sets the upper pedal position. I just screwed mine in a bit more so the pedal will rest higher. Originally my accelerator pedal was a bit lower (1/4 - 1/2") lower than my brake pedal. Be sure to relieve the tension in the throttle cable otherwise you will be forcing the throttle plate.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM

Default Re: gas pedal position??? (unrealwrc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrSeuss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure if it's a "good" solution but there's an adjustable stop that sets the upper pedal position. I just screwed mine in a bit more so the pedal will rest higher. Originally my accelerator pedal was a bit lower (1/4 - 1/2") lower than my brake pedal. Be sure to relieve the tension in the throttle cable otherwise you will be forcing the throttle plate. </TD></TR></TABLE>
that is exactly the problem i have, is this a symptom of the car being old, or thats just the stock setting and im being picky?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by unrealwrc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its hard to do but tough it out and its possible. I want to get new pedals for mine in the future but after this past weekend I have been able to heel toe pretty well in my civic, and it was deffinitly not easy to accomplish at first. I am a tall guy so height is also alittle against me in this aswell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah im 6'2 so its a tight squeeze
Old 07-21-2008, 06:55 PM

I just think it's the stock setting. Now that my pedals are level, I'm occasionally blipping the throttle when I'm on the brake when I don't want to. Every other car I've been in has the gas pedal slightly lower so it's probably intentionally set that way for "safety"
Old 07-21-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Re: (DrSeuss)

ok, i will try and adjust it tomorrow with that in mind. thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In the stock configuration, all gas pedals should be lower, and this is good for RR also. When you smash the brake to threshold braking, the brake pedal should go well past the gas. That way, the gas pedal is now not too far back for your foot to blip without awkward ankle twisting.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GI8U2racing)

Right. Under braking the pedal should be about even with the accelerator pedal. Mine was that way from the factory without any adjustment. To narrow the gap from side to side, I just used one of the Sparco pedals with the dog leg at the bottom. Works great for me...

Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 PM

Default Re: gas pedal position??? (bonSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bonSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think my gas pedal is abnormally low in comparison to my brake pedal. this makes heel-toe extremely difficult. the car is a 99 si and i have stock pedals but not for long. i have had no problem heel-toeing in my moms mini and i have adjusted the seating position in my civic to no avail. what im asking is can my gas pedal be adjusted to be more level with the brake rather than deeper. any help is appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you can heel toe your moms van ditch the si and rock the van. ftw.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:24 PM

Default Re: gas pedal position??? (dynimitejack)

i think a new pedal set will fix my problem, im kinda hesitant to mess with the stock position of the gas pedal. maybe i need to just improve my foot work for that particular setup.

Edit: WHAT VAN ?????
Old 07-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The gas pedal on my EG hatch is perfect for heel toe.

The gas pedal on my EK hatch was in a very different position. I put two hands on the gas pedal and bend the whole assembley until if felt just right.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love the pedal setup in my 3rd gen prelude, i find it very comperable to my S2000, there are plenty of preludes in the junkyard, so you could check it out and see what modifications need to be done to make it work with your car