Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

FSAE Students killed in towing accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FSAE Students killed in towing accident (rotten)

[QUOTE=rotten]The towing capacity of the Sprinter is 5000 lbs,....
Towing is some serious stuff, QUOTE]

That maximum tow rating assumes that the tow vehicle is not over loaded. It is important not only to stay within maximum trailer ratings, but also within the gross combined vehicle weight rating...and you gotta distribute the trailer weight properly. The van had seven passengers & all of their personal belongings plus a trailer that could have easily exceeded 5,000lbs. If the tongue weight were too light, or too heavy, that thing must have been a handful.

I would hope a bunch of engineering students, especially their professor, would have understood the dynamics. Who knows, maybe they did everything right and some other factor started the disaster.

Although I have a hunch...I'd really like to know exactly what happened.

Old 05-21-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: FSAE Students killed in towing accident (Track rat)

Many schools are forced to travel this way just due to funding, such as Auburn. We've been petitioning for a better tow vehicle for years, and it just isn't in the cards.

This year, we [baja] have gone so far as to rent a duelly truck for our long haul out to Arizona. It's always on the back of our minds, what just might happen has now happened.

The support of War Eagle Motorsports goes out to them.

In another, unrelated FSAE Incident...

http://www.corner-carvers.com/...nt=15

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unfortunately, there was yet another accident FSAE related. The Ryerson (sp?) car was doing it's acceleration runs, and as soon as it hit the brakes, the braking loads sheared off both front suspensions. 1/4" rod-ends are not enough for these cars anymore - they make way too much grip. Both wheel/tire/upright/brake assemblies flew into the crowd as the car slid into the haybails. One wheel hit a woman, who then fell off the bleachers. I was among the first responders, and she was in rough shape. A concussion and some possible neck/back damage. The EMTs put a neck collar on her, and we put her on a back board, just in case. I don't have an update on her condition, but it was yet another incident in the same year, which just makes for bad press on an otherwise wonderful event.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

EDIT: Please note, the Ryerson incident is unconfirmed, since I have since seen a report of them finishing their endurance.

Modified by Goullish at 12:13 AM 5/22/2005
Old 05-23-2005, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw the accident heading down to my folks place.

Also read a spectator got taken to the hospital at the event, after one of the cars lost a wheel while doing sprnt and stops testing. Injuries in the press said unknown.