Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Front and Rear maximum camber allowed for the streets ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front and Rear maximum camber allowed for the streets ?

What is the maximum camber allowed for the front and rear fro the streets?
Old 03-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front and Rear maximum camber allowed for the streets ? (EJK20R)

When does streets = road course/track? Jk...just being an ***..

For the street you should set it back to factory spec. No need for neg. camber on a public road...under any circumstances.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Front and Rear maximum camber allowed for the streets ? (Circuit Star-29)

i disagree. you do want static negative camber, even for normal driving when lowered. its not going to hurt anything other than straight line grip. when you say set the camber back to "factory spec", well whats factory spec when youve already lowered the ride height of the car out of factory spec? i would imagine honda took time in designing the camber gain in relation to the spring stiffness and ride height to better maximize grip to provide the best possible handling. if you "zero out" the static camber at a lowered ride height with stiffer springs, who knows if youll achieve enough camber when you need it at max load. its not clear to me that youre doing yourself any good because youve taken the camber curve out of its designed path

whats always important is to get an alignment after youve lowered the car. i stress that because ppl think getting a camber kit solves the problem of uneven tire wear, but where the camber is set is not the main issue so youre not fixing the problem. the change in toe is what kills tires, and that needs to be corrected. a lot of ppl dont realize toe is also changed with ride height and is the reason for uneven tire wear.

however i will agree this question is not posed properly here in rr/ax.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front and Rear maximum camber allowed for the streets ? (Tyson)

To me...the importance of a camber kit on the street is to maintain stability in ANY situation. You know how the car can seem to jump from side to side...especially in slightly grooved roads? Well, we have many roads similar to this in my area... All the cars I've ever driven in my area that had neg camber, gained stability in these areas when the camber was "Zero'd out" (factory spec'd, if you will).

I only say to zero out the camber (and especially the toe) because most of the people (young adults) who post questions like this in this forum seem to be looking for an answer from a "race car driver" in effect trying to emulate the "race car drivers" on the public roads.

I fully expect anyone that has the experience such as yours, and my "limited" experience to fully understand what camber requirements THEY need for a public road.

Further more, I do agree with your opinion...But my statement is made for the reasons of conserving stability and nothing more.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front and Rear maximum camber allowed for the streets ? (Circuit Star-29)

Zero the toe first at all 4 corners, or maybe go 1/16" toe-in for stability. That will make a bigger impact than camber.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:06 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Front and Rear maximum camber allowed for the streets ? (WRXRacer111)

IBTL.