Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Free Guide Into Motorsports & Giveaways

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FREE Resource to help get you behind the wheel in the sport of racing!

<FONT SIZE="6">New Update... This resource is now available online for FREE!</FONT>
Also be sure to check out the very cool giveaways that various racing companies are sponsoring.

<FONT COLOR="#FF0000"><FONT SIZE="6">Go Ahead – Take the Wheel</FONT></FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#ff0000"><FONT SIZE="4">Road Racing on Your Budget</FONT></FONT>

For more information about the book or to purchase your copy today, click on this link:
<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="#000099">www.GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com</FONT></FONT>

Millions of people grow up dreaming of one day becoming a racecar driver. Are you one of them? As with many people, maybe you simply don’t know how become involved in club racing or believe that it’s not within your reach for one reason or another. Whether you think it would be too expensive, or have the financial resources but do not know how to get involved, Go Ahead – Take the Wheel is a step-by-step guide to turn your dream into a reality.

“Whether as a hobby or as a potential career, Go Ahead - Take the Wheel gives you everything you need to know to get started in racing.”
<FONT COLOR="#ff0000"><FONT SIZE="3">- Michael Andretti</FONT></FONT>

“For the speed junkies that have always thought racing equals money, Go Ahead - Take the Wheel not only fills in the behind-the-scenes information you need to know to get started, but gives you the insider tips and tricks to make racing affordable right from the start.”
<FONT COLOR="#ff0000"><FONT SIZE="3">- Eric Curran, </FONT></FONT>professional racecar driver in SCCA’s SPEED World Challenge, and the Grand Am Cup series. Also a former SCCA Improved Touring B driver.

“Finally a book for the rest of us! This book proves that safe and affordable road racing is much more accessible than you would think.”
<FONT COLOR="#ff0000"><FONT SIZE="3">- Jake Fisher, </FONT></FONT>current SCCA Improved Touring A and NASA Performance Touring F driver.

If you have the desire to drive in wheel-to-wheel road racing events, but do not know how to make this sport a reality, this book is a must-read.

In this book you will learn how to:
* Race on your budget – from economy to extravagant
* Maximize “seat time” – get the most racing for your buck (including free track time!)
* Modify your car to produce the greatest amount of gains
* Overcome the most common obstacles
* Gain racing experience before you have a racecar
* Build your own racecar on a realistic budget
* Become a front-running driver

Maybe you are already racing but are still relatively new to the sport. Yes, you too will find this book very useful! Even if you are a seasoned veteran, take a look at the book’s website. There are numerous links to racing related businesses, and some very cool club racing, high performance driving, and autocross videos.

<FONT SIZE="5"> <FONT COLOR="#ff0000">Stop Watching – Start Racing</FONT></FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#ff0000"><FONT SIZE="5">The entire contents of this resource is available online for FREE!</FONT></FONT>

<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="#ff0000">www.GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com</FONT></FONT>
Your help is needed - Please spread the word about this book

Posted with Honda-Tech owner's permission – Thank you for your support![/size]

Modified by granracing at 8:53 AM 4/21/2008
Old 07-22-2006, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The book shippment just arrived...

Please feel free to post your comments / thoughts about the book once you receive a copy. Thank you again for your support in getting the word out about this book!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Re: (granracing)

Wow Dave !!! What an excellent book.......topshelf, as in very very good. I'm sure everyone who has even thought about racing will want one.........I think I should carry some on my rig for the HPDE guys who want to know what it really takes to get into racing.......

Again, I'm proud to be associated with such a great piece of information !!!!

Phil
Old 07-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Phil! I'm very happy with the reviews and interest it has received thus far, and it was just released. The head of NASA and a board of director (among others) from SCCA are both intersted in helping promote the book. Needless to say, it is great that they like it too.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still waiting for my 2 copies come on USPS..

EDIT: Got it, thanks for the autograph Dave

Modified by Chris F at 11:48 AM 8/9/2006
Old 07-27-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Chris F)

I got mine this week, and LOVE this book. it's awesome.

I HIGHLY recommend it to even ANYONE.

PS -&gt; Dave, that is truely the best book I have ever read on racing. I just wanted to say thanks a lot.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:56 AM

Default Re: (poison)

Well,The book is good ,Thank you!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally, a book to help get you behind the wheel in the sport of racing! (granracing)

This is the first book I've read on racing and Im very glad I did. It talked me out of buying some new rims and a big brake kit and talked me into starting at the Auto X track. Thanks a lot! Saved me $$$!
Old 08-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally, a book to help get you behind the wheel in the sport of racing! (d16_DIM)

ive been autoXing for 1 year and plan to stay there. will this book be benificial to me?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi,
To be honest, if you already have a fair amount of autoXing experience and never want to consider doing high performance driving events nor club racing, you won't benefit too much from it. Then again, after reading the book maybe you will want to try these other forms of racing.

If a person were new to the Autocross scene and never wanted to try high performance driving events nor club racing, the book would still be helpful.

As some seasoned racecar drivers who read the book posted on another forum - all the book needs to do is save you from buying one inexpensive tool and it has paid for itself. Of course I can't help but agree.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Finally, a book to help get you behind the wheel in the sport of racing! (coot_er)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coot_er &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive been autoXing for 1 year and plan to stay there. will this book be benificial to me?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nothing wrong with planning on staying autocrossing. I can say the book will be beneficial not just on HPDE's, but autocrossing too.

Just like Dave Gran said, the book he wrote does help you with the basics and everything around racing to have fun while not breaking the bank. Except, autocrossing is MUCH cheaper than HPDE's.

There is an older book that goes further into depth on solo2 autocrossing called "Secrets of Solo" by Henry Watts. I also recommend that book.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just finished reading Dave's book. I just wish that I had had it three years ago, I would be even more LoBuk if I had first read this book.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is even considering racing as it will totally change their attitude towards the cost and attitude associated with club racing. I think that Dave needs to add a supliment to his website about driving your racecar to races as it is a very viable option that I encorage budget racers to seriously consider.

Zephyr
Old 08-24-2006, 11:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Finally, a book to help get you behind the wheel in the sport of racing! (granracing)

Just ordered
Old 09-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally, a book to help get you behind the wheel in the sport of racing! (Dengar)

Though I’d share the first of hopefully many reviews that will appear in various publications…

Reviewed by Jeff Zurschmeide
Jeff writes for MazdaSport, Subiesport, and SportsCar magazines, and covers motorsports for the Portland Tribune in his home town. Additionaly, he's the past Regional Executive for the Oregon Region SCCA.

About once a decade, someone writes a book on how to get started in amateur racing. This is a good thing, because the world changes over time and the information needs to be freshened up. I have one such book that dates from the 1950s, a couple from the 60s, and several from the 70s, and while they're a neat bit of history, they're not exactly relevant.

This decade's book has been written by David Gran - an SCCA club racer from Connecticut. As a writing racer, I've penned magazine articles and other pieces about getting started in racing, but I never decided to put together a comprehensive look at the topic, and now Gran has done it so I have to wait at least ten more years.
In all the decades gone by, most books about sports cars and amateur racing have treated the process of getting started with a chapter at the back of the book. But not Gran - he has gone through in detail and covered everything you need to know to start racing – including the dreaded quicksand of motorsports: cost estimates. On that strength alone, this book will save more marriages than an army of Licensed Clinical Social Workers.

As I read through the book, every time I'd think something like - "Aha, but what about the frammus - you haven't talked about the frammus!" - I'd turn the page and Gran would have the frammus covered, in detail. The book is complete, fair, and brutally honest about the good points and challenges of going racing.

If I had to find a weak point - which is to say, how I would have done it differently - I think I'd emphasize the price difference between building your own car and buying a prepared and sorted car even more. That's the single place where most would-be racers get lost before they even turn a wheel on the track. Building your first race car is a siren song, luring you to crash on the deadly rocks of time, incompetence, and needless expense. Gran covers this in detail, of course, but I'd put it in big friendly letters on the cover, together with a picture of Cameron Diaz so drivers would look at it.

There - the obligatory "Yabbut" having been dispatched, I can go back telling you why you ought to buy this book. Let's cut to the chase - if you "always wanted to go racing" or if you've already bought that slightly rusty 1977 280Z and pulled the carpet out of it and you don't know what to do next in the three weeks before driver's school, you desperately need this book. Get it as soon as possible and read it with a highlighter in your hand. Take notes - it will save you money, pride, and stomach lining.

If you are already a racer, buy this book anyway, and just hand it to people when they ask how they can get started in racing and what it is likely to cost. You can read it, too, because it's chock-full of good ideas, cost savings, and it's just generally a pleasure to read. The book costs $16.95, and you can get your copy at http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:57 PM
rookn00b

We (RC Engineering) just got a free copy of that book. Nice book and thanks!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally, a book to help get you behind the wheel in the sport of racing! (xtrac1)

I just ordered a copy. I am looking forward to getting into HPDE when I get back to the states, so hopefully i can get some great info out of this book.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:24 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Finally, a book to help get you behind the wheel in the sport of racing! (CarbonEGG)

I ordered my copy the end of last week.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:35 AM

I had the oppritunity to meet Dave this past weekend at Limerock and purchase his book. The book is perfect for someone like myself. I used to Auto-X and do schools alot in the mid 90's. I had put the racing thing on the back burner for a while. But now I'm looking at doing it again.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally, a book to help get you behind the wheel in the sport of racing! (little bob)

just received my book today cant wait to start reading. for signing it!
Old 10-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I might have to check this book out.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally, a book to help get you behind the wheel in the sport of racing! (gutted)

Got my book last week and already finished it. Now I have passed it onto my pops in hopes he too will learn something in his racing pursuits.

One thing. It was very dificult to take the "Oath" and Im not sure if I can abide by this law.

I can suggest (as the author did) going through your sanctioned racing rulebook to see what your class allows.

Good Stuff!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, you read that quickly!

Notice how I didn't write the "oath of frugality" and it was written by a friend, Jake Fisher? I will say that it is something which makes sense especially in the beginning of ones racing career.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im definately getting the book. 16.99?! what a deal!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:29 AM

Default Re: (pos_cd5)

I think I might pick up a couple of these for Christmas presents
Old 11-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The NASA National Office has a couple of copies of the book and reviewed it. I'm very psyched with our discussions, their reaction towards the book, and support they will be providing it. Their first step was to add a link on top of the Nor Cal site (I owe a special thanks to Jerry Kunzman, the head of NASA).

http://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal/

I also want to extend my grattitude to those of you from here who have supported the book (especially Honda-Tech!) and continue to help to spread the word about it.

Thank you - I do sincerely appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Free Guide Into Motorsports & Giveaways