Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Flat Towing Civic CX Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Towing Civic CX Question

Hi All,
I'm looking into Flat Towing my 96 Civic CX back and forth to the track. A few of my miata friends do it and looks to be a good and affordable solution, since i do not have a place to park & hold a full trailer free of charge. Lame part of flat towing though seems to be that the car has to be registered, so you have to be limited as to how far you go with track prep. I'm not a fan of the added miles on the suspension.. but.. its better than sitting in an gutted Civic hatch for 3-4 hours on the way to Thunderhill or Buttonwillow.

Anyway down to my real question;
I checked into this kit, however it mentions "Tech Tip: not applicable for CX models".

Does anyone know what the difference is between the front end of a CX vs other trim levels that would change the mounting points of a Flat Tow Bar?

Honda Civic Base Plate for Tow Bar - 1996 | etrailer.com

Tim
Old 04-19-2015, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Flat Towing Civic CX Question

Originally Posted by tcrane
I checked into this kit, however it mentions "Tech Tip: not applicable for CX models".

Does anyone know what the difference is between the front end of a CX vs other trim levels that would change the mounting points of a Flat Tow Bar?
It might be for coupes/sedans and not the hatchback? You can always look into storing a small trailer at a local storage yard. For a monthly charge they'll rent you space that is fairly inexpensive.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:35 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

What about this:

Kar Kaddy SS, Space Saving Tow Dolly- Free Shipping! - By Demco | HitchSource.com
Old 04-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by liam821
It might be for coupes/sedans and not the hatchback? You can always look into storing a small trailer at a local storage yard. For a monthly charge they'll rent you space that is fairly inexpensive.
I wondered about it only being for a coupe/sedan, but its weird that it specifies CX only and not the other trim levels, even for a hatch. It must have something to do with the Re-Bar or something. Going to check out other brands.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a nice piece, i've looked at this before but it'll take up more room than i have even folded up. It's lame but i went from a 2 car garage to a 1 car garage and am strapped for space.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:41 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by tcrane
Its a nice piece, i've looked at this before but it'll take up more room than i have even folded up. It's lame but i went from a 2 car garage to a 1 car garage and am strapped for space.
I know those feels.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wondering... When doing this, don't you have to set something up to disengage (or lubricate) the gearbox if the drive wheels are to be rolling on the ground with the car not running?

BTW, in some areas, you need to have the car registered when they are on a dolly too.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt_EH3
Just wondering... When doing this, don't you have to set something up to disengage (or lubricate) the gearbox if the drive wheels are to be rolling on the ground with the car not running?

BTW, in some areas, you need to have the car registered when they are on a dolly too.
My car is still registered, and yes, if all 4 wheels are on the road, it needs to be, in California at least.

I believe that the GSR transmission that i'm running will lubricate properly when being towed, but it's something i need to confirm.