Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Fast spooling turbo that's doesn't break the bank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast spooling turbo that's doesn't break the bank?

Current spec is b16 with forged pistons/rods with a copy cat gt30
Made 380hp at 15psi.

I now only use this car on the track. And I'm aware eventually my luck with this Chinese turbo will run out.
So I'm looking for a turbo to replace it with. Along with the manifold for a ramhorn or something else that maybe you suggest.
Basically I need to have something which can spool up easy and make a comfy 450hp (flywheel) for as and when I turn the boost up more .

Don't want to spend insane money, but understand I will need to dig deep.
What do you recommend for my needs?
As said. Literally just use this on track and eventually compete in time attack next year.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fast spooling turbo that's doesn't break the bank?

Talk with The Shodan over on the Forced Induction Forum - he's a good guy.

Scott, who wants a snail under his hood someday...so I can humble larger prey...
Old 06-01-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

No. He doesn't like me.. He thinks that I have ... what did he say.. Oh.. "Sand in my Vagina"? That's odd for an Englishman to say to us Yanks..

Looks like we have ourselves a fighter!!

How to make the one guy who wanted to genuinely help someone on an online forum simply walk away while shaking his head in in disgust.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_insider
Current spec is b16 with forged pistons/rods with a copy cat gt30
Made 380hp at 15psi.

I now only use this car on the track. And I'm aware eventually my luck with this Chinese turbo will run out.
So I'm looking for a turbo to replace it with. Along with the manifold for a ramhorn or something else that maybe you suggest.
Basically I need to have something which can spool up easy and make a comfy 450hp (flywheel) for as and when I turn the boost up more .

Don't want to spend insane money, but understand I will need to dig deep.
What do you recommend for my needs?
As said. Literally just use this on track and eventually compete in time attack next year.
If you're on a tight budget, you may find a "cheap" turbo to get you to 400whp you're trying to hit, but you're going to have to spend a ton of money on the rest of the car (engine internals, axles, gearing, etc.). It doesn't sound like you have much experience driving a high HP FWD car in a time attack or time trial format right now. I would recommend that you start out with a much lower output; 250-300WHP is plenty fast to embarass much "faster" cars on track if the rest of the car and your driver skill is up to the task.

At a peak output of 330whp, peak boost (10psi) in the mid-range of the rpm band with virtually zero turbo lag to aid in corner exit and immediately after gear changes, I've cleaned the teeth off 4th gear at Buttonwillow at GTA / Superlap about 4 years ago. Had another event where I chipped the teeth off of my 4.7 FD.
I've since dialed the power back to 275whp for most local events and a 300 whp map for special events. That output seems to be a happy medium for equipment longevity, drivability, and power to pass or run with the "faster" cars.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueTeg
If you're on a tight budget, you may find a "cheap" turbo to get you to 400whp you're trying to hit, but you're going to have to spend a ton of money on the rest of the car (engine internals, axles, gearing, etc.). It doesn't sound like you have much experience driving a high HP FWD car in a time attack or time trial format right now. I would recommend that you start out with a much lower output; 250-300WHP is plenty fast to embarass much "faster" cars on track if the rest of the car and your driver skill is up to the task.

At a peak output of 330whp, peak boost (10psi) in the mid-range of the rpm band with virtually zero turbo lag to aid in corner exit and immediately after gear changes, I've cleaned the teeth off 4th gear at Buttonwillow at GTA / Superlap about 4 years ago. Had another event where I chipped the teeth off of my 4.7 FD.
I've since dialed the power back to 275whp for most local events and a 300 whp map for special events. That output seems to be a happy medium for equipment longevity, drivability, and power to pass or run with the "faster" cars.
I am going to get the block CSS in the summer at some point, as I get that the cylinders are going to be my weak point now.

the pistons/rods are already forged, acl bearings and arp bolts.

Gearbox is fresh rebuild s9b. with ATS plated diff.

I have no experience in time attack, although my local track which hosts time attack, I am currently lapping it in times which would find me on the podium in the club FWD class, and win the "pocket rocket" class that I have recently found my car would be eligible for.
And the same is for lap times im getting at another track that time attack go to.
The power at the moment is enough for trackdays, and to have huge fun. but I find that out of a few corners, I am wanting for more power, which im sure my tuner can map with the boost by gear.
This is what has prompted the interest in new turbo, not only am I pushing my luck with the one I have. But if im going back to the tuner for another mapping session, I may as well get a new turbo which I can rely on and will last. and do the job I want.

Fuel I use is 99ron, shell vpower.
budget id say is max £1000. or $1600 I think it works out. but what I dont want to do is spend every penny of that, if there is a turbo that will do the job for much less.
I still have a cage to buy and CSS to pay for.
so not to sound cheap when I use the phrase, not breaking the bank. I just dont want to spend more than I have to.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an oem turbo from an Evo 8.5. It's making 330 horsepower @12 psi, on a bone stock ITR long block (oem itr IM and throttle body as well).
It has virtually zero lag. The response as you get on and off the throttle is the same as my JRSC with the high boost (10psi IIRC) pulley upgrade, with better TQ throughout the rpm band with only a negligible increase in boost. I don't know how much HP it would support in a b-series if you really turned the boost up.
They're readily available on ebay for $300-$350, and obviously have oem reliability.

If you are fixated on the higher peak HP numbers, then the next step up would be an Evo 9 oem turbo which will flow a bit more air due to the larger cold side, and should get you into the high 300's quite easily. Those are significantly more expensive though. About $700+ used, last time I checked.