Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Famous Racing Quotes: Got one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Famous Racing Quotes: Got one?

Checker or Wrecker!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can lead the whole race, but if you aren't there at the finish it doesn't matter.

A women can leave you and take your car, the car will never leave you and take your women.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:40 PM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sig...
Old 09-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry if these are repeats, but I aint reading 5 pages.

"Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague longing for something salty" peter egan

"If you dont chew Big Red, then *** you" ricky bobby
Old 09-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"autocross is for fast drivers, drag racing is for fast cars" quoted from someone

" im faster then fast, im quicker then quick, im lightning!" from the movie cars
Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why isn't this old thread more than a 100pages???
Here's my 2cents:

My speed is rivalied only by the lighting bolts of heaven! - The Cannonball Run ( the shiek)
Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

"If you want to pass me, pass me!" -Robby Gordon, after being referred to as a rolling chicane with his Swift-Toyota.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITACRX)

Originally Posted by Soon_2b_evil
I think Mario Andretti said
If everything is quiet your not going fast enought.
Something like that.
"If everything seems under control your just not going fast enough"
Old 09-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"if the car feels like it's on rails, you are probably driving too slow"

-ross bentley
Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ghettoracer)

Originally Posted by FalkenSiR
Might be related more to engines but still...

"There's no replacement for displacement"
I have always read it's anonymous but that guy deserves props
It's true however you look at it...
im gonna have to disagree with this one. it used to be true back when nobody quite had a handle on turbos. but thanks to companies mostly in europe, with chrysler added in there when they were working with carroll shelby in the 80s, turbos ARE a replacement. examples being vw 2.0t 200hp & 207ft/lbs from about 1900-5000rpm, mini 1.6t 172hp &177ft/lbs from about 2000-5000rpm. i mean name any american car under 4.0L and over 400hp.

but then there are always amazing exceptions. the 911 gt3 RS will have a 3.8L NA putting out 450hp, but in that case its about rpm........the gt3 redlines at 8500...the RS might be higher. the S2000 was great when it came out but was even better with the bigger engine, because they kept the same hp but redline dropped 1000rpm which means they increased torque........torque is good.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek_freek)

Originally Posted by TeamSlowdotOrg
"****."

Bleeped (partially) in-car from Derek Bell's onboard commentary in Speed GT a couple years ago. There was a lot of other stuff with bleeps in it.

Also, Randy Pobst's editorials in SportsCar are usually pretty quotable but I don't want to dig through them.
ill help ya with randy's quotes.

"make sure you fill the car with fuel BEFORE you start the race"

"always hit the john before a race"
Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"VIR is heaven on earth" -Paul Newman
Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Peter Egan describing what each tool is for:

HAMMER: Originally used as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on boxes containing seats and motorcycle jackets.

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning Pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age, but it also works great for drilling mounting holes in fenders just above the brake line that goes to the rear wheel.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools that transform human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion; the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your garage on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside a brake drum you're trying to get the bearing race out of.

WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16 or 1/2 socket you've been searching for.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, splattering it against that freshly painted part you were drying.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans rust off old bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls and hard-earned guitar calluses in about the time it takes you to say, "Ouch...."

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering a motorcycle to the ground after you have installed your new front disk brake setup, trapping the jack handle firmly under the front fender.

EIGHT-FOOT-LONG 2X4: Used for levering a motorcycle off a hydraulic jack.

TWEEZERS: A tool for removing wood splinters.

PHONE: Tool for calling your neighbor to see if he has another hydraulic floor jack.

SNAP-ON GASKET SCRAPER: Theoretically useful as a sandwich tool for spreading mayonnaise; used mainly for getting dog-doo off your boot.

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool that snaps off in bolt holes and is ten times harder than any known drill bit.

TIMING LIGHT: A stroboscopic instrument for illuminating oil buildup.

TWO-TON HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOIST: A handy tool for testing the tensile strength of ground straps and brake lines you have forgotten to disconnect.

1/2 x 16-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A large motor mount prying tool that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end.

BATTERY ELECTROLYTE TESTER: A handy tool for transferring sulfuric acid from a car battery to the inside of your toolbox after determining that your battery is dead as a doornail, just as you thought.

AVIATION METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw.

TROUBLE LIGHT: Its main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate that 105-mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours of the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the lids of old-style oil cans and splash oil on your shirt; can also be used, as the name implies, to round off Phillips screw heads.

AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced by a power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty bolts last tightened 60 years ago by someone in Springfield, and rounds them off.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rochesterricer
Peter Egan describing what each tool is for:

HAMMER: Originally used as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on boxes containing seats and motorcycle jackets.

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning Pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age, but it also works great for drilling mounting holes in fenders just above the brake line that goes to the rear wheel.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools that transform human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion; the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your garage on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside a brake drum you're trying to get the bearing race out of.

WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16 or 1/2 socket you've been searching for.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, splattering it against that freshly painted part you were drying.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans rust off old bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls and hard-earned guitar calluses in about the time it takes you to say, "Ouch...."

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering a motorcycle to the ground after you have installed your new front disk brake setup, trapping the jack handle firmly under the front fender.

EIGHT-FOOT-LONG 2X4: Used for levering a motorcycle off a hydraulic jack.

TWEEZERS: A tool for removing wood splinters.

PHONE: Tool for calling your neighbor to see if he has another hydraulic floor jack.

SNAP-ON GASKET SCRAPER: Theoretically useful as a sandwich tool for spreading mayonnaise; used mainly for getting dog-doo off your boot.

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool that snaps off in bolt holes and is ten times harder than any known drill bit.

TIMING LIGHT: A stroboscopic instrument for illuminating oil buildup.

TWO-TON HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOIST: A handy tool for testing the tensile strength of ground straps and brake lines you have forgotten to disconnect.

1/2 x 16-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A large motor mount prying tool that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end.

BATTERY ELECTROLYTE TESTER: A handy tool for transferring sulfuric acid from a car battery to the inside of your toolbox after determining that your battery is dead as a doornail, just as you thought.

AVIATION METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw.

TROUBLE LIGHT: Its main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate that 105-mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours of the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the lids of old-style oil cans and splash oil on your shirt; can also be used, as the name implies, to round off Phillips screw heads.

AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced by a power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty bolts last tightened 60 years ago by someone in Springfield, and rounds them off.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! LOLZ
Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Spongebrad Squarepants

a guy at work the other day said about dale jr. "that guy couldnt drive a nail into the wall."..not really a racing quote but a quote about racing. lol.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you aint cheatin', you aint tryin'
Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Trial User

I just read all 5 pages, created a new account, resurected a 3+ year old thread, and I don't even own a Honda anymore, just to post this quote y'all missed:

"IF IN DOUBT, FLAT OUT!" - the great Colin McRae (RIP)

Sidenote: He's also credited with
"Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers."

great quotes so far though!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Winston Hale
I just read all 5 pages, created a new account, resurected a 3+ year old thread, and I don't even own a Honda anymore, just to post this quote y'all missed:

Its funny, when I saw this thread pop up all I could think of was I bet no one thought of my favourite quote of all time.. You ruined it lol

But there is one more, not directly related to racing

"Your here for a good time, not a long time" Colin McRae
Old 09-06-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Winston Hale

haha Nice!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't find the reference but I will edit when I find my book...

"You only have enough power when you can lay two black stripes from corner to corner"