Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

EG Hatch or DC Integra

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG Hatch or DC Integra

Tristan Stokes here from CNR Performance; here at CNR we mostly set up/build track beast for the drag strip such as our own DC chassis Integra that is currently the second fastest FWD car in the state(0.02 seconds slower than the #1 fastest). As fun as high horsepower drag cars can be at times, I'm wanting to branch out and give circuit/auto cross driving a try. I have always believed this is where true driving lies. I have some experience with curvy rural back roads but have only been on a road course once and I have never auto crossed. Aside from my daily driven AP1 S2K I currently have an EG Hatch that I built from the ground up and a JDM front Integra Type R clone that I received from a friend of mine. Here's a little back ground on the two cars.
EG Hatch
new axles
new steering rack with inner outer tie rods
new upper control arms(front and rear)
new ball joints
new wheel bearings/hubs
EK Sub frame
EM1 front sway bar
EM1 rear disc conversion
Integra rear sway bar
front/rear strut bars
Skunk2 coilover sleeves on stock struts
GSR Trans rebuilt with carbon syncros
GSR dual bend shifter
B18C (JDM GSR) power plant
full exhaust (tanabe)
dual core radiator
Type R race seats
350mm deep dish wheel for better driver position
no back seat/spare tire
15x7 rota subzero wheels waiting to receive track appropriate tires

INTEGRA
LS engine and trans
adjustable front upper control arms
yonaka coilovers
the rest is mostly stock and original

Given the question I'm about to ask I probably should not have listed all the suspension, drivetrain, and engine specs of the two cars but I already typed it all up, no sense in wasting all that time right?

Here's my question of topic; aside from the power plants, gearing, and suspension of the two cars, let's start with a blank chassis/canvas. Of the two chassis, which one will help provide a more efficient and better handling setup?
Old 08-31-2017, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: EG Hatch or DC Integra

Someone with more experience can back this up, as I'm only recently getting into AutoX, but from everything I understand the two chassis are essentially identical in almost every way.

The main difference I would think of would be the Integra has a longer wheel base, which may make it feel a bit less twitchy/tail happy on speeding straights or hard corners.

Why use an EK subframe in an EG? Most people do this the other way around (EG or DC subframe in an EK), and typically that's for K or J swaps.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Reason for the EK sub frame is because I purchased a brand new steering rack for my 96 coupe and shortly after was involved in a wreck(frame/unibody damage) so in order to be able to use the new rack on the EG chassis I swapped the subframe. Plus I wanted to experiment and see if this would increase or decrease the performance of the steering system. The steering has a great feel with this setup in my opinion. I agree with you on the wheel base, the other side of that situation is in the event of the tail end coming around, typically the hatch is easier to whip back around.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm...a lot to cover here. I'll try to keep it short. But basically, the EG is going to be the way to go for one and only one reason. It will ALWAYS be lighter. In fact, I think in stock form they're lighter than my modestly stripped Integra (2,377 lbs). Most of the chassis stuff is the same or so similar to all other 90's Civics and Integras it won't matter. Shorter wheelbase isn't easier to bring back around, it just goes around quicker. The other thing I'd like to point out is that since both cars are motorswapped, they'd be in the same class in SCCA autocross, Street Modified FWD (SMF) at minimum.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:46 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

No mention of a rear subframe brace for that Integra sway on the EG.
Best advice... get one now or you'll be welding your subframe back in or worse.

Id go with the EG ...its lighter, but that isn't the end all be all.
You can make either car work,neither has a direct advantage over the other IMO

Do yourself some real justice here. Learn to drive on track without boosted engines.
More power doesn't necessarily mean faster times,
Boost creates lots to heat and its not the easiest to create a fast boosted car and not have to deal with burning the engine compartment.
It gets expensive to create a balanced cool running car.
Learn to drive the car with out boost, that way you learn to true characteristics of the car with out having horsepower to bail you out of sketchy situations.
That way you don't develop bad habits learning how to control the car.
Good luck!

Last edited by dirty19; 09-02-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The previous post is incorrect. 3 door EG and Integra share the same exact wheelbase: 2570 mm.

They share the same basic chassis but the Integra is a later iteration. It's stiffer and heavier.

The Integra will tend to handle better out of the box. If you strip everything and install a roll cage, then the EG may become better because it's lighter.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KoRn_vIRuZ
The previous post is incorrect. 3 door EG and Integra share the same exact wheelbase: 2570 mm.

They share the same basic chassis but the Integra is a later iteration. It's stiffer and heavier.

The Integra will tend to handle better out of the box. If you strip everything and install a roll cage, then the EG may become better because it's lighter.

technically you are wrong....

eg hatch 101.4 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_...ion)#Hatchback
integra coupe 101.2 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_...2.80.932001.29
Old 09-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chad
No, Wikipedia is wrong. They both have 2570 mm wheelbases. From Honda's official documents:

Old 09-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
No mention of a rear subframe brace for that Integra sway on the EG.
Best advice... get one now or you'll be welding your subframe back in or worse.

Id go with the EG ...its lighter, but that isn't the end all be all.
You can make either car work,neither has a direct advantage over the other IMO

Do yourself some real justice here. Learn to drive on track without boosted engines.
More power doesn't necessarily mean faster times,
Boost creates lots to heat and its not the easiest to create a fast boosted car and not have to deal with burning the engine compartment.
It gets expensive to create a balanced cool running car.
Learn to drive the car with out boost, that way you learn to true characteristics of the car with out having horsepower to bail you out of sketchy situations.
That way you don't develop bad habits learning how to control the car.
Good luck!

x2!