Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (Shmeek)

I hate to say it but if it's not your car (ie it's your dad's), then you have to do what they ask. If your dad or mom's name is on the tital, then it's not your car. If they don't what their car out on an Auto-X course then there is not much you can do, other than get your own car.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (.RJ)

Old 03-13-2003, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions?

I've done this for 8 years now. I've heard of ZERO deaths, or even serious injury.
I heard about one death at a NASA event. A car hit a photographer who didn't bring a spotter on the course, and got taken from behind while focusing on another car.

Although, they may just say that so photographers are real careful.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (ajn)

wow.... I guess anything could happen when you are getting close to the limit of the car.....

Old 03-13-2003, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (JustChou)

JustChou, I'd say definately go, but make sure you go with the right attitude. It sounds like you've got your head on pretty straight and you're going about this the right way, you will learn a TON about car control that will make you a better driver everywhere. I've seen alot of younger people try autocross and focus only on the competition aspect, which is a recipe for disaster, they get frustrated, overdrive, do poorly, and then never do it again. The ones who love driving and don't care how they do end up doing very well in the least amount of time, because they focus on becomign better drivers, and that makes them faster in short order. Good luck with your parents, i've always found that safety gear is an easy sell to parents Autocross is for the most part as safe as you make it, you're the final factor in safety when you're behind the wheel. You might want to check out the book "Going Faster", it applies mostly to road courses but has info that's good universally, particularly the bit about how you learn the limit by progressing slowly towards it, not overshooting it and then going "OK, that was too far."

Good luck, be safe, and most of all have fun!

Old 03-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, .RJ does get a little carried away sometimes....

BTW, I know that car didn't roll - but I bet it busted the dampers and other suspension parts on the landing....

As far as having a mom that is willing to attend an autocross event, you have a very special mom! My mom doesn't even have the slightest desire to go to an autocross event, though I've asked her many times. She also drives right at the speed limit ( never over even 1mph) and knows 0 about cars - except that they have four wheels and move around on the road. She can drive a standard transmission vehicle very well though...

I think you are covered from all the responses given here - so hopefully you will go out there soon and have a fun and educational experience...

[Modified by Vracer111, 11:23 AM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (Vracer111)

i should add that the majority of the freak autocross accidents come from clubs that aren't affiliated with the scca, and as such have a much more lax approach to safety.

why must we bring up the most bizarre, freakish, 1 in a million chance accidents? why? don't scare the poor kid with the incidents that are least likely to ever happen again. having said that, there are many things that the driver can do to make themselves even safer. things like putting both feet in when you spin instead of trying to save it. and pointing the car straight in the off-hand chance that you are going to leave the pavement and go onto grass. and even more importantly, making sure your car is in good mechanical condition.

another thing that might smooth the 'rents over a little more is to promise to buy the tires/brakes/clutch and other wear items, as these tend to wear faster when you start racing.

definitely start out on street tires. a) r compound tires are expensive to waste burning up while you learn b) street tires don't hide your mistakes as well as race tires do, making it easier to learn.

nate

edit: clarity

[Modified by solo-x, 9:26 PM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (solo-x)

Yeah, I already pay for clutch, wheels, brakes, etc. Given, it's on their allowence, but I'm making provisions for it.

Oh, and there's no way I'm going to get R-compound tires right now. I can't even afford a set of decent race/street tires (falken azenzies, toyo proxies, paradas, etc) I'll be racing on my street yokohama tires.

Thanks again for everyone's input. It's good to see that other than a few freakish accidents (which, afterall, happen in any situation) autocross is safe enough for my parents to let me try.

By the way, anybody else competing at Route 66 on 4/06? Hope to see you there.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:22 PM

I was not trying to scare anyone, but sometimes people get a bit carried away suggesting that there is no risk to life, limb or vehicle while autocrossing. That's not the case. Yes, some of those accidents were "freakish" or pretty rare, but they do happen and you have to at least consider for five minutes what might happen to you, your car, your finances or other people and things you care about before you head out there. That's all. I've done it, had fun, and moved on to an activity some would consider far more dangerous (HPDEs.) Obviously I didn't scare myself out of motorsports when thinking about some of the things I brought up.
-Adam
Old 03-13-2003, 10:53 PM
I really don't know

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

??[you telling your parents] what's the worst that can happen, you run over a cone?? [/you telling your parents]

but i like the ideas about telling them it teaches car control under stressful situations that can be life saving for you and your passengers.
You can't drive autocross while you're drunk so for that day you wont be wasted (some people will disagree with this one )
Old 03-13-2003, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (TypeOne Enjoy It)

Its safe just make sure you have a back-up car.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Formerly WI, now back in NorCal and everywhere else

One thing I haven't heard any mention of is getting an instructor. Most SCCA chapters I've been to at least offer a novice instructor who will be willing to go along with you for a run or two. Maybe that will help your mom feel a little better. Plus, you'll get to meet plenty of more experienced people at events who will help you learn driving and car setup (like tire pressures). You'll learn a lot from each event. And don't worry about what a lot of other people have been saying in this post. Yes it is racing and there is risk involved, but if you play by the rules and drive within you and your cars limits you'll be fine. The only real wear item of note will be tires, which if you run street tires and go to just about every event, they'll probably last you a year with street driving too (I get alittle more than a year with a few autocrosses and track events). Just get ready to have fun and get hooked.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:04 AM

My mom was scared to death when she found out that I was doing Autocrossing. Granted I was 24 at the time she found out so it's not like she could effect me doing it or not but she still was scared to death. What happened to finally ease her fears was that she showed up at one of the events (it was the day before my 25th B'day so I pulled the B'day card on her "it's my day, you gotta do what I say"). She watched all the runs, and on my 3rd run she actually got in the car with me. I was in a car that I'd never driven before, so I wasn't even remotely as fast or smooth as I have been in the past, but she throughly enjoyed it. Her comment afterwards was "Matt I'm really glad that I rode with you, seeing it from atop the bleachers it seems so simple, and like you guys aren't doing much, but sitting in the car and watching all you do to make the cars do what they do definately gives me a greater appreciation for it."

Now I'm not saying that everyone's parents will voluntarily hop in the car with their child to experience it, but inviting them along to watch is a good way of easing their fears.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:14 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (Dragon)

****, good thing your mom didnt get in the car with me......

1 540 spin = mom taps out
Old 03-14-2003, 07:16 AM

Hey, she's a tough cookie, if I was willing to get back in the car with you after a 540 spin I think she would brave it. Well if it was me that spun, not you, you're a crazy ****. wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 03-14-2003, 07:19 AM
.RJ

****, you snap spun that ish in the rain at Fedex You froze like a deer in the headlights......
Old 03-14-2003, 07:22 AM

PFFFBT, Deer in headlights my ***, My arms locked up because I wasn't about to try and recover from that spin. Unlike someone I know though I didn't go OC.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:20 AM
Paragraph Alert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

< took my mom along on a run at my second autocross event. She loved it and it helped her to understand why I like it. In fact after she got out of my car she was looking around for other people to ride with. She jumped in this one dudes S2000 but got back out because she thought my stepdad might get pissed.

Old 03-14-2003, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (ActiveAero)

Like was said before, it's as dangerous as you make it. If you drive like a crazy ****, something crazy just might happen. Take it easy the first few times and learn as much as you can.

Regarding insurance:
I'm not sure how insurance covers autocross competitions. Typically, insurance WILL cover any kind of educational/training mishaps. Such as if you're at a racing school and dent the car or something. Check with your agent. Speaking of... I should check with mine on autocross coverage.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (PupaScoopa)

Let's make up some statistics!

I have attended 71 autocrosses.

I can only think of 7 cases where a car hit a solid object or curb (pretty low statistic, compared with some others I have talked to). I may have the dates wrong:

RX7, curb, 1998, W-S, NC
Firebrird, tree/curb, 1998, W-S, NC
Formula Vee, fence, 1999, Morrisville, NC
Integra, curb, 2000, Asheville, NC
Midget, curb, 2000, Asheville, NC
Miata, tree, 2001, Rocky Mount, NC
BMW, tree, 2002, Rocky Mount, NC

There have been no injuries (none driving related -- some heatstroke, etc)

Approximately 100 participants per event

So ...

7 / (71*100) = 0.1% chance of damage to car.

0 / (71*100) = 0% chance of injury (totally unrealistic, based on my limited sample!)

Proably a better chance of getting into an accident on the way to an event. These stats also mean that, if you do 1000 autocrosses, you're gonna hit something I love statistics.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:58 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (whitney)

how many of them hit flower boxes?

RJ - ducks and hides
Old 03-14-2003, 01:39 PM

My parents weren't happy about the idea of "racing" my street car either, but after a trip to an event, my father was convinced it was okay. He and my mom even came to my first event to watch me in action.

Autocrossing will improve your ability to avoid potential disaster on the street, and that coupled with a first-hand look, should be what you need to get the A-okay.

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions? (Shmeek)

This thread is actually kind of funny, because a coworker just asked me when I was autocrossing next, because she wants her son to see that there are legal places to "play," after she heard him bragging to a friend about driving his dad's 944 against a Mustang... AJ, this is the kid I was telling you that I want to you meet this coming weekend.

Also, new SCCA rules require that BOTH parents must sign the minor waiver for you to compete. Great that Mom wants to come along, but you must get Dad's signature too. I believe you can get the form ahead of time if both parents don't want to come out.
I know there was another thread about this, and I haven't looked for it just yet (I haven't been on h-t for a couple of days), but this doesn't seem like it could be true. For one, I teach plenty of kids who live in a single parent household. Does stepdad/stepmom count? How about if the weekend of the autox is when dad (biological) has visitation rights, do all three "parents" have to sign? I'm going to look on the SCCA website about this.

[edit] It's actually in the 2002 Solo2 rules... I guess they are just now enforcing it. Anyway, you can download the minor waiver from the SCCA website, and have it signed by both parents in the presence of an SCCA member, who also signs, dates and additionally writes his/her membership number down.

Karen

[Modified by CamaroFS34, 9:00 PM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 02:26 PM

I understand it is "crazy" to tell your mom: I'm going to racing tomorrow !!
My suggestion is ask your mom to go with you.....so she can see it in person. The very best will be go with a friend(s) who also has experience with AutoX so he/she can help you to make thing go smooth.

Most SCCA event are well perpared and organized: from registration to tech inspection.....walk the course(novice), driver meeting....etc

I will tell your mom that autoX is not just car racing, it is a sport

good luck and have fun !!!

Old 03-14-2003, 03:41 PM

LMAO! I remember seeing a Metro flip here at the SCCA @ Qualcomm, saw a lotus flip as well, crazy ****. It was funny because at every turn the Metro would be 3 wheelin and I just knew he was going to push it too far and it would roll.

Quick Reply: Convincing parents that autocross is safe...suggestions?