Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Civic of Doom: Honda Challenge Recycling

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 10:28 PM
Homosexual by choice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Civic of Doom: Honda Challenge Recycling

you're good at picture whoring. nice Resurrection.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by exgr
you're good at picture whoring. nice Resurrection.
HA! the only good thing about having a bad back is I have to take "breaks" when working on the car... so I could get some pictures of the build (there are many more)... Also I'm fortunate to have friends with cameras for when I'm at the track (I also budget for 4-5 pictures every event from the "pro" photographer... you never know what he will catch).
Old 04-16-2019, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what went wrong with the motor build?
Old 04-16-2019, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sjg88
so what went wrong with the motor build?
Still sitting on the cart untouched. with a race every month, it wont be until july until I get to break into it.

we just had a race weekend I'm "recovering" from. I'm going to need to rebuild a hub and replace my splitter before Hyperfest. 4.5ish week until we roll out for that event... and "real" life scheduled almost every weekend. Anyone learning from me... keep the wife happy and she'll let you get away with some things and support ridiculous ideas.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaan
Still sitting on the cart untouched. with a race every month, it wont be until july until I get to break into it.

we just had a race weekend I'm "recovering" from. I'm going to need to rebuild a hub and replace my splitter before Hyperfest. 4.5ish week until we roll out for that event... and "real" life scheduled almost every weekend. Anyone learning from me... keep the wife happy and she'll let you get away with some things and support ridiculous ideas.
Race weekend hangover is what Brian said its called.

What is that medicine called that you give her to support you for all of these track days? I need to get some for mine so that I can go to HF without scorn.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is no magic pill... maybe she needs a ride along in Brians car to see what its all about.

It helps my used to work with NASA MA in registration... while i worked in the tech shed. shes used to track life, but spent the entire off season dreading "track wife" life. ultimately, she's known this has been my dream since she met me, well before we started dating. she wont get in the way of that.

as the "track wife" at comp school she was able to see what she was doing effected my success on track... it also helped that last weekend the car was just running well and she didnt have anything to do but read her books and go watch me practice/qualify/race.

I recommend not pushing "too much" involvement while you are in HPDEs... you will be in class and on track and there will be almost no interaction. if she does come, find some things she likes to do locally. my wife will his flea markets and antique shops in danville, especially if we show up "too early."
Old 04-17-2019, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is no magic pill... maybe she needs a ride along in Brians car to see what its all about.

It helps my used to work with NASA MA in registration... while i worked in the tech shed. shes used to track life, but spent the entire off season dreading "track wife" life. ultimately, she's known this has been my dream since she met me, well before we started dating. she wont get in the way of that.

as the "track wife" at comp school she was able to see what she was doing effected my success on track... it also helped that last weekend the car was just running well and she didnt have anything to do but read her books and go watch me practice/qualify/race.

I recommend not pushing "too much" involvement while you are in HPDEs... you will be in class and on track and there will be almost no interaction. if she does come, find some things she likes to do locally. my wife will his flea markets and antique shops in danville, especially if we show up "too early."
Sage advice, I appreciate it! Id have to get her some Dramamine before she got into Brian's car.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How did the car feel?

For my first race I had a bent knuckle with 2.8 deg. of camber up front on one side (totally maxed out) and it felt awful. I can only imagine 1 degree lol.

I was told by an OG in North Jersey that you wanna save corner balancing for absolute last. That is, you've figured out your spring rates, sways, shocks, and ride height.

I'm just holding off cuz I'm cheap and lazy
Old 04-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The car felt MUCH better. I still have a pushing issue if I don't trail brake certain corners... and I wasn't able to go flat through turn 6-7 at summit which killed some speed.

I'm running on OLD unknown heat cycle RRs and staying within 1.5 seconds of the leaders lap times... i'll take it.

It took a couple of hours to dial in the corners where we wanted it... but any changes from here out should be easy. I have access to my own scales so its not a big deal for me.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The car felt MUCH better. I still have a pushing issue if I don't trail brake certain corners... and I wasn't able to go flat through turn 6-7 at summit which killed some speed.

I'm running on OLD unknown heat cycle RRs and staying within 1.5 seconds of the leaders lap times... i'll take it.

It took a couple of hours to dial in the corners where we wanted it... but any changes from here out should be easy. I have access to my own scales so its not a big deal for me.
Corner weights suck to set up. I'm not surprised hahah.

What is your spring/sway setup?
Old 04-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

900/750... ITR rear bar, no front bar. -3/-2.5 camber... 1/8 toe out up front and 1/16 toe in in the back (I need to change this I think). my front PCI arms are set up for the full caster setup. Front shocks are set 1/4 rebound and 1/2 compression... rear shocks are set 3/4 rebound and 1/2 compression (koni doubles).
Old 04-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI, with low HP the car handled amazingly neutral and I could run it all flat out (but slower)... with more HP I obviously cant put it down on the same setup. I naively thought it was setup for the B20 so well that it would be "close" for the ITR... not even close.

this setup is very easy to control under braking. I was able to brake much deeper at summit. I guess I need to grow up and run VIR hard for hyperfest. I know I was giving up a lot of time there in the braking zones.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

900F 750R or vise-versa? I'd love to see in-car video.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dilbones
900F 750R or vise-versa? I'd love to see in-car video.
900F and 750R... I'd love to show you some... but I found out my gopro doesn't accept the memory card and would only work in small bursts. I have no video yet
Old 04-18-2019, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

900F and 750R... I'd love to show you some... but I found out my gopro doesn't accept the memory card and would only work in small bursts. I have no video yet
damn cuz u bought the cheap Jawn!!
Old 04-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

900/750... ITR rear bar, no front bar. -3/-2.5 camber... 1/8 toe out up front and 1/16 toe in in the back (I need to change this I think). my front PCI arms are set up for the full caster setup. Front shocks are set 1/4 rebound and 1/2 compression... rear shocks are set 3/4 rebound and 1/2 compression (koni doubles).
if you dont have a spherical rear trailing arm bushing leave the rear toe where it is. I just learned first hand that if you set the rear to zero with an oem bushing you get toe out under bump mid corner...
Old 04-19-2019, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is 1/8th toe out in the rear on a stock, rubber RTA bushing

View this post on Instagram
Old 04-19-2019, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
if you dont have a spherical rear trailing arm bushing leave the rear toe where it is. I just learned first hand that if you set the rear to zero with an oem bushing you get toe out under bump mid corner...
I'm spherical everywhere... the only rubber left on the car are the exhaust hangers.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NASA MA – Spring Rumble @ Summit Point Raceway

Controversy: I love beast of the east racing… its really helping me work on my racing game. The seasoned racers seem to hate best of the east… I HATE (in the standard races) when the leaders of another group get in the middle of my race (I know I know, get faster and that wont happen… I’ll get over it).

I left March Madness at VIR with a car that was pushing mid corner quite a lot. This required me to drive with the throttle a little (or lack of throttle) and I should be mashing the gas and make the vtaks scream. I felt like I was “fast enough” for comp school and my first weekend, but I needed to pick up time.

Solution… (see previous posts) lets check out this alignment and get the corner balance dialed in. Jason did a great job AND it really helped. It was much easier to drive, much more predictable, but later in the sessions the push would come back.

Add to that the unknown heat cycle of my toyo RR take offs and the time it was taking them to get up to temperature… was still struggling to stay with the main pack. I was able to stay within 1.5 seconds of the leaders (per lap), but they were hitting their best lap times on lap 2… where I needed lap 3 or 4 to get up to speed. Obviously lots to work on… to include working through lapped traffic and getting wrapped up with being overtaken just as I am catching the next HC car.

The bad… the push kept me from going flat from turn 6-9 and I’m giving up time. I’m still 50/50 on my starts… I either nail it or bomb it. But my battery was dying and throwing off my tach signal, and that’s all fixed up.

The good… the car under braking was much better. I’m not good enough to bomb into the pack of cars in Turn 1/Turn 5 (which I seem to catch lots of people there but id rather not bend up the car). There is 100% an advantage if you are running the B16/ITR gear box vs. the GSR I’m running… but giving up raw acceleration out of turn T10 and up T9 (and the push through the carousel) and not be “that far” off the pace, I’ll take it.

NEXT…

I need to fix a wheel bearing that I can “feel” is just starting to get notchy… I’ll leave that to someone who wont ghetto it up so badly (Jason). After watching C. Mike break 4 studs and lose a wheel, I’ll let someone that knows what they are doing deal with that bearing.

I’m a cheap cheap man (sorta). Sure I’ll buy a $500 coil on plug setup so I don’t have to fight distributors, but I live on $100 sets of take offs. Talking to Adam Molaver (SM driver), the SM guys (that I get my take offs from) will sell their tires when they drop 1-2 seconds off their lap times. How far was I off? Why are they gapping me in the first 2-3 laps? Yeah… I need a fresh set of tires… and I’m hoping to do it before Hyperfest SO I can put up a fight in a +20 car field.

To date I have been running a square 205/50/15… easy to rotate, etc. because of the push I’m debating on throwing a new set of 225s up front with a 10mm spacer. This should help with the push but it means I cant “rotate” my tires. The other thought is to get a new set of 205/50/15s and run 10mm spacers… if that doesn’t work out well enough at hyperfest, buy a pair of 225s and have two “low heat cycle” pairs for the rear.

HYPERFEST HERE WE COME!!!! We should have at least 20 H2 Honda Challenge cars… I cant wait.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the spec3 and spec porsche whatever class are dicks
Old 04-23-2019, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
the spec3 and spec porsche whatever class are dicks
at least it spans regions... i thought it was from my time in the tech shed. the front runner doesn't like me very much
Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

at least it spans regions... i thought it was from my time in the tech shed. the front runner doesn't like me very much
Some people have a hard time being friendly which is a shame since everyone there is for the same reason. Oh hey, I have B-Series stuff for you, if I can make it down to HF Ill bring it. Otherwise, if you want to swing by on your way home let me know and Ill get it all ready for you.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dublocivic
Some people have a hard time being friendly which is a shame since everyone there is for the same reason. Oh hey, I have B-Series stuff for you, if I can make it down to HF Ill bring it. Otherwise, if you want to swing by on your way home let me know and Ill get it all ready for you.
we are leaving thursday... we might be able to swing by on thursday and get it on the way down if you arent going to make it. i'm hoping you make it though!

i'm sure he has no idea who i am... at least on track. he hit on my wife, in a poor/tasteless way, bad mouthed me when my wife said "you do know thats my husband right there right?!?!" , etc. while she was working in registration and I was in tech... Me DQing has nothing to do with how i feel about the guy (heck im driving Chads old car, which i DQed at least twice... and i talk to Chad all the time).

he drives like his attitude (which did get me to pick up my pace).
Old 04-25-2019, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its official... tires are ordered. I'm going to test out a staggered setup (225 on the front 205 on the rear)...

ALSO... one of my front wheel bearings felt notchy, so I'm doing wheel bearings and wheel stugs... I have some 10mm spacers to play with either run or rear depending on what I think I need... I'm going to bump my front spring rate up 50-100lbs to try to keep that wheel down (and to keep from cooking front tires)...AND I'm going to make a minor adjustment to my rear toe... therefore I need a recorner balance. 21 days to go
Old 04-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its official... tires are ordered. I'm going to test out a staggered setup (225 on the front 205 on the rear)...

ALSO... one of my front wheel bearings felt notchy, so I'm doing wheel bearings and wheel stugs... I have some 10mm spacers to play with either run or rear depending on what I think I need... I'm going to bump my front spring rate up 50-100lbs to try to keep that wheel down (and to keep from cooking front tires)...AND I'm going to make a minor adjustment to my rear toe... therefore I need a recorner balance. 21 days to go
Congrats! It should rotate better with that setup. I was running 20mm H&R spacers with 225 square last event and had really good rotation under compression (hog pen etc..) I think the spacers helped a decent amount. Do you tack weld your extended studs to the hubs?

Quick Reply: Civic of Doom: Honda Challenge Recycling