Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Boersma Racing Time Attack Civic Super Lap Battle

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boersma Racing Time Attack Civic Super Lap Battle

We recently made the long trip from Canada to Buttonwillow California to compete in Global Time Attack's Super Lap Battle. The event was a tremendous success for us, as we broke the previous Street FWD class record running a 1:52.122. MotoIQ was on hand at the event has put together a great article covering our car and how we did at the event.

Three and a Half Seconds

Overall we were really happy with how the car did, and I must say those Bridgestone RE-71Rs are some pretty amazing tires!
Old 11-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boersma Racing Time Attack Civic Super Lap Battle

Congratulations! what tire would you compare the new Bridgestone RE-71Rs to?
Old 11-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great article and pictures... When I read that it has 1000 lb springs on all four corners, with front sway bar being stock and the rear sway is 24mm, it seemed like it would understeer, but I then saw that it has 17x9 wheels on the front and 17x8 at the back with tires sizes 255/40/17 front and 225/45/17 rear, so I guess that the tires and wheel combo balances out the handling vs having a split in the front to rear spring rates. If you could fit larger tires in the rear and then adjust the front to rear spring rates, would that maybe improve the braking? Just wondering about using the same front to rear spring rates with the split in the front to rear wheel and tire size, vs going with the same size tires and adjusting the balance with the springs. Thanks for including the linked video on the 2nd page - looks like a lot of fun with all of that hp and torque. - Jim
Old 11-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Real smooth lap.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bigtimegambler
Congratulations! what tire would you compare the new Bridgestone RE-71Rs to?
They're very comparable to an NT01 in terms of grip. They are very sensitive to overheating though so you really only have 1-2 laps with them.

Originally Posted by Calif_Kid
Great article and pictures... When I read that it has 1000 lb springs on all four corners, with front sway bar being stock and the rear sway is 24mm, it seemed like it would understeer, but I then saw that it has 17x9 wheels on the front and 17x8 at the back with tires sizes 255/40/17 front and 225/45/17 rear, so I guess that the tires and wheel combo balances out the handling vs having a split in the front to rear spring rates. If you could fit larger tires in the rear and then adjust the front to rear spring rates, would that maybe improve the braking? Just wondering about using the same front to rear spring rates with the split in the front to rear wheel and tire size, vs going with the same size tires and adjusting the balance with the springs. Thanks for including the linked video on the 2nd page - looks like a lot of fun with all of that hp and torque. - Jim
Hey Jim, we actually just upped the spring rates in the front for this event as we were previously running 900lbs in the front. We put a larger NeoMotorsports brake setup in the front of the car mid season and we found the front was diving quite a bit under braking and we also had a lot of weight transfer under hard cornering. We usually run 255/40/17 and 215/45/17 Hankook TDs which have significantly more grip then the street tires we were running. We decided to try out the 1000lbs springs in the front and I'd say I'm the most happy with the car I've ever been. With the staggered tire setup the car rotates perfectly and the setup is incredibly easy to drive. 17s definitely change the way the car behaves vs a 15" wheel setup so that plays into it as well, not to mention the power and aero setup that we run.

I will say that the car is the best it's ever been and I plan on running this setup for awhile. It's definitely a lot of fun to drive as well
Old 11-30-2015, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice article.

...and good job on beating the record.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fantastic article. and Fantastic Car.