Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

August 11th, NYR SCCA Solo2 @ Nassau Coliseum

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: August 11th, NYR SCCA Solo2 @ Nassau Coliseum (rodney)

welp, i not gonna show. i forgot i had plans already. see you guys at nasa
It must be me... do I smell bad?

I know I'm a jerk but... should tha stop you from having a fun weekend racing?
Old 08-09-2002, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: August 11th, NYR SCCA Solo2 @ Nassau Coliseum (Watkinsm3)

Matt, it's Harry. What happened to your car? I 've had all kinds of problems too. Bent control arm and cracked spring!! I 'll talk to you when I see you. I will hopefully have a new suspension this Saturday.. Why don't you run STS? Oh you probably can't because of the LSD..
Old 08-09-2002, 08:17 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: August 11th, NYR SCCA Solo2 @ Nassau Coliseum (VTEConly)

I suggest you get off the drugs and fix your car!
Old 08-09-2002, 09:42 AM

What happened to your car?
I'm getting the shocks rebuilt & revalved by truechoice so I'm running stock springs and shox.

Bent control arm and cracked spring!!
Hasn't that control arm been bent for about a year and a half?

Why don't you run STS? Oh you probably can't because of the LSD..
that and the lightweight flywheel also keeps me out.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it has, but noone was diagnosing my car as having a bent LCA. They all wanted to change the hug/spindle, LCA, maybe upper Arm, etc. They were clueless or thieves. I went to RPM NYC race shop in Queens and they said it's a bent LCA so I ordered in and it's just came in. I didn't want to pay a ton of money to have Everything replaced.

I had a feeling your shocks would go soon. They say the max. load Konis can handle is 400-450lbs/in. I 'm pretty sure mine are on the way out too. They don't feel like they used to and with the new GCs I 'm getting I expect them to go fast.. I 've had them for 2.5yrs! I 'm going to have them revalved in the winter time. Now is it the same price for the revalve and rebuilt? Could you send my some info on Truechoice? My e-mail is vtecharry@yahoo.com. I 'd really appreciate it. I called Koni a couple of weeks ago and the guy told me they 'd be ready in about 8 weeks! What time frame are you looking at with Truechoice?

BTW, I 'm getting 475F/400R GCs installed this Saturday. I wanted 500F/450R but they were on back order till the end of the month. Then I asked them for 450 in the front, nope, B/O. So I got whatever they had in stock.. which I think is not bad: 475/400. We 'll see how it works out.
Since you have the same kit.. maybe you answer this question. What dooes the GC Koni adapter/kit look like? Is it those black inserts that look pressed in at the bottom of the threaded sleeves? Is there supposed to be any other O rings or anything that goes in between the sleeve and the shock up higher to prevent the sleeve from hitting the shock body? or does everything sit nice and tight after everything is in place? It just doesn't look like a very good setup to me..
Old 08-09-2002, 11:31 AM

Glad you're finally getting that LCA fixed... I was tired of you using it as an excuse for going slow!

E-mail enroute with truechoice stuff...

GCs : I'll have to take a look at mine... I'm not really sure about the inserts or anything like that... I'm kind of an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of guy. Complexities are too complex. I'll take a look and report on them on monday (no computers over the weekend! YAY!) and give you the skinny on them. what I can tell you from my memory is that if there is no pressure on the unit (shock spring assembly is off the car), unless you have the height adjustment set high, the sleeve will move around a bit (make sure the sleeve is pulled down completly before mounting on the car). I've heard of people sticking some foam in the top part to keep it from moving around. I've never had a problem with it personally. Actually the only annoyance I've had is that the bottom sits very snug and is water tight. Therefore the the sleeve will collect water that it will dump on you when you are least expecting it. confused? I am... work is killing me! I'm glad its friday!!!!

is there no shot glass icon?
Old 08-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info!

Wow I never thought of water collecting in the sleeve. No I 'm not confused.. you 're right. That thing sits there like a cup collecting all kinds of stuff. Water sitting in there would eventually rust the shocks wouldn't it? Anyway like I said before I don't like this design.. Oh well next time around we 'll get some true coilover kits right?
See you Sunday!
Old 08-09-2002, 01:48 PM

Default Re: August 11th, NYR SCCA Solo2 @ Nassau Coliseum

HEY! back to the original point of this topic... well, sort of. Any people from jersey going to nassau? How bad is the traffic coming back on sunday? I'd expect its pretty bad... Just wondering if I should bring supplies (food, water... a tent and camping equip.) for sitting in traffic...

thanks everyone!
Old 08-09-2002, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I expect traffic to suck because I think people may be driving back into the city from LI beaches.
I hope we don't get 120 drivers. I don't mind 5 runs if we 're done by 3:30. But with that many drivers we probably won't be done till after 5. If we get a ton of drivers and not enough runs it's the fault of the person that started this thread and advertised it
Old 08-10-2002, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just finished installing and bedding in my new Axxis Ultimates so I'm thinking about it, but I too have a flywheel and I prefer not to get walked all over if I'm not STS eligible. Motors mods ae I/H/E, suspension mods are shocks/springs/swaybars/bushings, tires are 712's on GSR's. Think they'll let me slide? Spence? Matt?

Old 08-10-2002, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: August 11th, NYR SCCA Solo2 @ Nassau Coliseum (94CivicSi)

So can someone tell me who to get to Nassau Coloseum from the Throgs Neck?

Do I have to get on the Northern Pkwy to get on the Meadowbrook? Or can I get on the Mewdowbrook from the Grand Central?

I went to RPM NYC today and over the Throgs neck. I did NOT see a sign or exit for the Northern Pkwy anywhere.. only LIE, Grand Central and I think Cross Island.
Old 08-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take Cross Island to Grand Central Eastbound and it becomes the Northern State. Take Meadownbrook South and follow signs for Nassau. I think it's exit M4.
Old 08-10-2002, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: August 11th, NYR SCCA Solo2 @ Nassau Coliseum (94CivicSi)

94civicsi-they may let u slide. personally, i prefer to put people in the correct class so that if they go somewhere else, they will be in the correct class. but i immagine u could get in sts if u didn't tell them about the flywheel.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:19 PM
Trial User

take Grand central Pkwy east after Throg neck bridge.then end of grand central will become Northern state pkwy, you will be on Northern state about 3 miles then take the Meadowbrook pkwy south to exit 4.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:10 PM

Default .

hey guys, glad to have seen most of u guys run.
tw00si, man you shouldn't have been in Novice...lol j/k, good job though.... I wish I could have stayed in 3rd place(placed 6th). But oh well I'll be happy with my little car sticker they gave me. =P

I was the blue rsx btw, this was my second auto x ever...
Old 08-12-2002, 06:21 AM

Default Re: . (zeroryde)

Sorry I missed you guys this weekend... I broke off some suspension bolts on saturday, so the car wasn't quite in condition to autocross. Hope everyone had fun though!

I miss my Konis already...
Old 08-12-2002, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

zeroryde: Oh so that was you. I was the guy with the only red GSR in DSP and was working the start in heat 3.
There were a lot of STS cars there as well as novices. I think they said 35 novices!
The guy that won the STS class was the one with the green GSR (Jeff?) and the 650lb GC coilovers. He left after his morning runs and still won! His best run was his first one too (53.1)! I tried giving him some tips to improve but he wasn't able to beat his first run. I was actually hinting to him that he was taking one turn too wide and was taking the correct line but I didn't come straight out and say that, but I told him how to take that turn and to go wide before turning and brake early..
Anyway, I think I had a pretty good day and I believe from looking at the printouts my 51.7 was in the top 10 times.
Thank god for that cool breeze that was constantly blowing otherwise I would 've melted We don't get that breeze in upstate NY because we 're not near the water..
Old 08-12-2002, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: . (Watkinsm3)

Sorry to hear that Matt. We broke 3 bolts Sat. but I was at RPM NYC race shop in Queens and they had tons of strengthened steel #8 & 10 bolts in all sizes so I didn't have any problems. They also replaced some other bolts that were pretty rusty (but didn't break) and all the nuts with new nylon ones. They also greased most bolts so it won't be as hard to get them off next time.
That 's the most common things with Hondas. Bolts freeze up! I hate that..
See you next time!

Old 08-12-2002, 08:52 AM
New User

Default Re: . (VTEConly)

There were 46 novices...including me.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:59 AM

yup that was me, man you guys ran really quick... but then again, you were in DSP... plus you guys got more experience... I think I'm gonna be stuck in the novice category for awhile cause I'm not a member yet...and being that it is my second time, I hope to get more seat time before next season...which I will be stuck in the novice category again for the first year, if I'm correct....? I hope I won't have pieces of my new car fall apart...lol. hopefully by next season I'll have some nice falkens on my car, and maybe some tein HA's if I wanna stay in STS, otherwise I'll have to cheat and go back to DS...lol. my best run was like 58.442... I held my position in novice for awhile before that blue beetle beat me on his last 57 sec run. Hope to see you in back 2 back weekend in sept. I def need more seat time, but my funds are running low...being a non-member is expensive...lol
Old 08-12-2002, 09:03 AM
New User

Can anyone shed some light on the novice rule, of how long you can be a novice? I know they said 1 year, but what if you started in the middle of the season? I'm kinda confused.

Also, can someone shed some light on what Matt (blue VW GTI) did to go from STS on July 21 to GS yesterday? Kind of unsportmanlike if you ask me.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: . (Wont be beat)

i bet matt had an intake. so he took it out and put the airbox in. intakes are how most n00bs end up in sts
Old 08-12-2002, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: . (Wont be beat)

Somone told me they changed the rules because they have too many novices. I overheard someone saying yesterday that now you 're limited to only 5 events and then you 're out of the novice class but I don't know if that's true. They also have a rule that if you win 1st & 2nd place, you 're out of the novice class. Again this is what I was told by others there.
It shouldn't really matter to you guys. Just go to your regular class and get your seat time there. Don't expect to win any trophies in your 1st season (if you do, you do..). What I 'm trying to say is, concentrate on learning and improving your driving skills. If they throw you to DS or GS or STS after 1/2 dozen events, no biggie. Don't worry as much about winning for now.. One thing you have to do is talk to intermmediate & experienced drivers. Watch the line the fast cars take while you 're working, when & where they 're braking, etc.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It shouldn't really matter to you guys. Just go to your regular class and get your seat time there. Don't expect to win any trophies in your 1st season (if you do, you do..). What I 'm trying to say is, concentrate on learning and improving your driving skills. If they throw you to DS or GS or STS after 1/2 dozen events, no biggie. Don't worry as much about winning for now.. One thing you have to do is talk to intermmediate & experienced drivers. Watch the line the fast cars take while you 're working, when & where they 're braking, etc.
exactly. words of wisdom. i know its hard to not try to be compettive. but if u tale the time to learn how to drive, u'll be faster un the end because ur fast times will be because u drove the car, not because u threw alot of crap into it.

-spencer

[Modified by SOLOef, 2:41 PM 8/12/2002]
Old 08-13-2002, 09:21 AM
New User

Default Re: . (SOLOef)

Maybe I shouldn't have said that I was a novice...being that this is my first season. Everywhere else I've gone to autox is that I would sign up as a novice and still compete with everyone else in the class. There's never a separate NOVICE class. If I had known...I think I would have said I wanted to be taken out of novice class. But hey, I can't complain about the 2nd place finish...it makes me happy.

Quick Reply: August 11th, NYR SCCA Solo2 @ Nassau Coliseum