Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

anyone run just for fun?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
Default anyone run just for fun?

im down in south florida and have attended homestead and ft. myers autocrossing numerous times out of the year with both of my crx's i had. i always read all the rules and you cant do this cant do that. i personally always just entered as a novice so it didnt matter what was done to my car. im just curious if you guys think itd be more fun to build my car for a certain class and compete. i know you cant anwser what id like better but i never got to run in a class b.c i believe just me having a dohc zc in my car throws me into a crazy class. thanks guys
Old 02-18-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: anyone run just for fun? (mynameisjustin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mynameisjustin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im down in south florida and have attended homestead and ft. myers autocrossing numerous times out of the year with both of my crx's i had. i always read all the rules and you cant do this cant do that. i personally always just entered as a novice so it didnt matter what was done to my car. im just curious if you guys think itd be more fun to build my car for a certain class and compete. i know you cant anwser what id like better but i never got to run in a class b.c i believe just me having a dohc zc in my car throws me into a crazy class. thanks guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yo! Number 1 is Learn how to autocross. Take an Evolution school. Don't worry about the car for now. So far, it sounds like you're on the right track.

If you're any good and you want to win, pick a class, and then pick a car. If you're going to run against swapped Hondas, you don't want to bring a knife to a gunfight. Check out what the National-level guys are winning with, and start with a chassis that can win.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats one of the big reasons i never got huge into autocross. 98% of autocross cars are eithre daily drivers or primarialy street driven cars. since i wanted to have a car thats fun to drive i never cared about classing or what mods will move me where. i did it because i wanted to. engine swaps, big suspension mods, etc.

but then again i never got big into the whole driving around cones in a parking lot thing to begin with. sure its fun..but for 20$ and 6 min of seat time..id rather spend 150$ and get 80 min on a road course.

and thats where the spiral of debt began...

most important thing is to have fun. you dont have to pick a car to win or to race. use what you have to learn then decide down the road what you want to do. just be weary, autocrossing is a gateway drug to the gofast crak pipe that is road racing.

"racing is an addiction cured only by poverty" - Grassroots Motorsports.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

chris, by evolution school do you mean the driving day before the main event with an instructor? if thats the case i took 2 of them and actually i thought that was quite fun seeing how someone else can drive my car. definately learned a lot i just wish i had a huge open area to practice all the time in. ive tried a couple diffrent suspension setups and such. at the moment im running tokico 5 ways in 88 rear lcas (88 crx hf) with h&r race springs. in the front its 89 accord bilstein struts with h&r race springs. i kept my stock front bar and i have no rear sway. the car i think rotates very nicely but ive yet to take it to a road course so i dont know hwo to does with high speeds. ive ran with the battery in the trunk and in the front. i do like to experiment just to see. but thanks for the responses guys ill check out what they are running and see