Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Anyone recently auto-x or de on military property?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone recently auto-x or de on military property?

My local chapter of the SCCA used to run on a navy auxiliary landing field, but they booted us "for security reasons." They claimed some directive that basically said no civilians could use military property under certain security conditions(like in times of war).
So my question is anyone regularly using a military property to hold racing events?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone recently auto-x or de on military property? (Stubbs)

Yep. This weekend, in fact.

The CO is an autoxer himself. (The use of the facility *is* dependent on military activity, though.) And we have to do an extensive FOD walk afterwards.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what's the name of that base?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stubbs)

Little Creek.

Old 08-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on the base and what is happening at that base. We have the same probably. Sometimes we can use the base and sometimes we can't
Old 08-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, we got the boot in feb. although the CO has been covertly trying to get rid of us for a while. We've never been a problem, but she doesn't want any hassle at all even if it is only percieved. Nevermind the fact that we have been donating thousands of dollars to to several base charities.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:48 PM

Hi maxQ and devilduck what is the name of organization that has permission to use the base SCCA or is it a marque club like PCA? The web site for our marque club is http://www.coastalbendpca.org The SCCA does/did autocross and wheel to wheel racing on the Naval Base. Thanks stubbs for posting this topic. Chuckster
Old 08-14-2003, 07:10 PM

Default Re: (chuckster)

Details are at http://www.tidewatersportscarclub.com/index.html
Info is there for both military bases we autox at.
I can remember during Desert Storm when we lost use of the base for awhile. These days it depends on the alert status, but we signup all those who will be attending ahead of time. The base checks eveyone's ID.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several Regions still hold events at Grissom ARB in Peru, IN. Theres still an active Tanker wing based there. Events are held on the old tarmac which is now on the outer side of the perimeter fence.
There's all the planes in the background.

Maybe cause it's just a reserve base.. but I've never heard of anyone rasing a fuss, and theres still at least 2 events scheduled for the rest of this year.

Modified by Boilermaker1 at 6:38 PM 8/15/2003
Old 08-15-2003, 05:51 AM

Kedwards Thanks for the web link that really helps. I will probably send an email to someone in the club.

Boilermaker1 you say there are several clubs using Grissom ARB. Do you have an email address or web link to organizers?

You guys are great thanks for the help

So for I have confirmed 6 clubs that are currently using an active base or fort for car club events. Have leads now to 9 others.

Chuckster
Old 08-15-2003, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DC SCCA used to race at Ft. Meade, aka the home of the National Security Agency. No cameras were ever allowed at the events, and that was waaay before the heightened security in the past few years.

Brian
Old 08-15-2003, 07:21 AM
Trial User

The National SCCA office still holds their Solo 2 National Championships at Forbes Field in Topeka, KS. Some kind of Reserves are based there. They've put up concrete barriers between the course and the planes, but otherwise they are pretty accomodating. You might check with the national office and see if they can help.

Chris

Old 08-15-2003, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chuckster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Boilermaker1 you say there are several clubs using Grissom ARB. Do you have an email address or web link to organizers?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.fwscca.com - Fort Wayne Region
http://www.sbrscca.org - South Bend
http://www.indyscca.org - Indianapolis

I believe Cendiv events have also been held there in the past.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:38 AM

Reminds me of the good old days of autocrossing at Pt. Mugu Naval Air Station in Oxnard, CA.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:02 PM

Default Re: (Boilermaker1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boilermaker1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

http://www.fwscca.com - Fort Wayne Region
http://www.sbrscca.org - South Bend
http://www.indyscca.org - Indianapolis

I believe Cendiv events have also been held there in the past.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cendiv is having an event at Grissom this weekend. A ProSolo was there last weekend. And a National Tour was there in July I believe.

In addition, Tri State Sports Car Counsel hosts an event in Peru every year. Labor day weekend '03 is a two day event plus test and tune on Saturday.

http://www.tsscc.org
Old 08-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (WebbRacing.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WebbRacing.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Reminds me of the good old days of autocrossing at Pt. Mugu Naval Air Station in Oxnard, CA.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I remember one divisional I went to in New Orleans. Can't remember the name of the base, but it was active. We used what looked like a couple of old, abandoned runways. The trees were so thick around the runways it felt like we were in the middle of the jungle (and felt like it too ). Anyways, I'm finishing one of my runs when I hear the most god-awful screeching noise all around me. While I'm wondering what part of my car is destroying itself, I look up through the sunroof and see an A-10 taking off a couple hundred feet over my head. Pretty cool actually !

Chris
Old 08-15-2003, 07:34 PM

Thanks you guys for the help. I have sent emails to all the RE's in the clubs mentioned. The only club I havent sent a message to is the tsscc. No email addresses to the club officers. But the link has great info.

Hey Tail Happy, did you go to the events we "had" in Corpus Christi. I will be contacting the National office that is a good idea.

Thanks again for all the help guys

Old 08-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chuckster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Tail Happy, did you go to the events we "had" in Corpus Christi. I will be contacting the National office that is a good idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I never made it down there. But some of the San Antonio guys went to one event and loved it. If and when you get the site back, I'll be sure to come down one weekend.

Chris
Old 08-18-2003, 09:05 AM

Default Re: (Tail Happy)

Hey Stubbs, i can't believe i missed this thread. After reading some of these responses, i'm kinda bummed.

Our airfield in Corpus is just a practice field for new guys where they do stop and goes, and touch downs. They keep the planes at the Navy base 20 miles away.

Chuck, if you need help writing letters or anything let me know. I will help out all that i can.

Kyle

Modified by usuck at 11:00 PM 8/18/2003
Old 08-18-2003, 05:53 PM

Thanks Kyle need all the help we can get. Whats your email address? You are exactly right about the air field. You can also checkout some responses at the http://www.sccaforums.com. We are getting a lot info from a lot of places.

Thanks again,

The Chuckster
Old 08-28-2003, 04:37 AM

I want to thank eveyone that helped us gather info on what clubs are using military facilities. And especially want to thank Deena Rowland at SCCA for her help. The list that I have compiled so far is:

Cabaniss Field NALF, Corpus Christi,TX
Columbus AFB, Columbus, MS
Libby Army Airfield, Sierra Vista, AZ
Mt Home AFB, Mt. Home, ID
Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, VA
Naval Base Coronado, San Diego, CA
Fentress NAS, VA

These are all the military facilities that have or are planning to run a solo or wheel to wheel event.

Please if you know of more please email me cunow@ccinternet.net

Thanks again,

The Chuckster