Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels? (Stinkycheezmonky)

Yes you'll be able to change offset after you order. Let Marcus or myself know immediattely though usig your order #. If the satin black adds to the price of the wheel I won't do it. Matte black is no upcharge. I prefer the satin (semi-gloss) and I think most of you will too. So we'll see what the factory can provide. Marcus and I will update here and on both sites as soon as it's final.

The tooling is on transit to the line so I have maybe 48 hours to make last second tweaks to the production schedule. Matt bronze is the other color we might add depending on the total SKU breakdown.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels? (949Racing)

The cheapest silvery one is all I'm going for, so no problems Thanks guys!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels? (Stinkycheezmonky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stinkycheezmonky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">949, when I ordered, I BELIEVE it specified +40 as the offset. I've already paid, but would I be able to change that to the +36 ones if necessary, after seeing the fitment post-production?

For brakes, I run ITR stuff, and I think 6ghatch does as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Brake clearance should be totally fine. I forgot to link this pic before:

The fit is actually tight with STOCK calipers. The bracket is a little close to the hub. Notice how the spokes go farther out with more diameter. There should be plenty of room. We will have a paper template available so that you can see what clearance will be like.

Marcus
Old 11-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels? (MrHeeltoe)

I think of hard clearance as a go/no go, black and white. 2mm static clearance is the same as 40mm in my eye. That pic was the +40 so the +36 would have even more room. Based on this info and that it clears an 11" Wilwood Miata kit it looks like an 11.5" would clear the +36. Problem is, unlike the Miata market, there are several good big brake kits for the different 88-05 Honda chassis and they all have different dimensions.

I can't figure out how to load the brake template .pdf on my site so I'll give it to Marcus. Anyone who needs it , just go there or shoot me an email.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 949Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think of hard clearance as a go/no go, black and white. 2mm static clearance is the same as 40mm in my eye. That pic was the +40 so the +36 would have even more room. Based on this info and that it clears an 11" Wilwood Miata kit it looks like an 11.5" would clear the +36. Problem is, unlike the Miata market, there are several good big brake kits for the different 88-05 Honda chassis and they all have different dimensions.

I can't figure out how to load the brake template .pdf on my site so I'll give it to Marcus. Anyone who needs it , just go there or shoot me an email.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here it is people!!!

http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/...0/0#6
Old 11-20-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 949Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think of hard clearance as a go/no go, black and white. 2mm static clearance is the same as 40mm in my eye.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Until your clever tire guy installs wheel weights right at the closest point to the caliper Thunk thunk...

(yeah, I figured that one out right before a session.. whoops.)

-Chris
Old 11-20-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels? (Chris F)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Until your clever tire guy installs wheel weights right at the closest point to the caliper Thunk thunk...

(yeah, I figured that one out right before a session.. whoops.)

-Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, I learned that one the hard way once too...
Old 11-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels? (Chris F)

If it's a track car it has no business doing a behind-the-spoke single plane balance though. Dynamic ( two plane) balance, tape weight on the lip and the back of the bell, duct tape over both. Good to go.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:24 PM

Love em!

A better wheel than the dead k1!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:44 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Default Re: Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels?

Decent looking wheels and they are not a Rota copy.

To solve the rear contact problem with the UCA, just take a grinder and take of a few mm on the UCA part that is contacting the wheel. No big deal, and this would allow the 40mm offset all the way around. I've done it before and it works fine.

As for the Hankook being wider than the Azenis...this is indeed true. But, the grip on the Azenis is still better However, the 205 Azenis is not a fan of a 8" wide wheel and it tends to lose grip sooner. I actually found that a 7" or 7.5" wheel worked better with the Azenis 615 when it comes to response and grip . The Hankook should be fine on an 8" wheel though.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels? (Todd00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Todd00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Decent looking wheels and they are not a Rota copy.

To solve the rear contact problem with the UCA, just take a grinder and take of a few mm on the UCA part that is contacting the wheel. No big deal, and this would allow the 40mm offset all the way around. I've done it before and it works fine.

As for the Hankook being wider than the Azenis...this is indeed true. But, the grip on the Azenis is still better However, the 205 Azenis is not a fan of a 8" wide wheel and it tends to lose grip sooner. I actually found that a 7" or 7.5" wheel worked better with the Azenis 615 when it comes to response and grip . The Hankook should be fine on an 8" wheel though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, we had brainstormed this as well. That's probably what I would do. Also, some aftermarket camber-adjustable links might clear.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Todd00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Decent looking wheels and they are not a Rota copy.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you only knew how funny that sounds. There is no such thing as an original design by Rota. So copying a Rota would be a copy of a copy.

Thanks for the props though. While it looks similar to some other wheels like a BBS RG & RK, Enkei RP-F1 or ATS Comp Lite, the 6UL was designed from scratch. We ended up with some of the same engineering solutions that others have come with. The RK is optimized for a 5 lug pattern so it has more weight in the center than is needed for a 4x100. The RP-F1 has big gaps between the base of the spokes so it needs a taller drop center to maintain load capacity which reduces clearance for big rotors & calipers, also doesn't look as nice. The Comp lite has a center hub area big and beefy enough for a 5x114.3 so it's also overbuilt for a 4x100 and it has no lip at all.

Of allof them the RK is my favorite from a looks and engineering standpoint. If the 6UL was a 5 lug only wheel it would probably have ended up looking like that.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 949Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you only knew how funny that sounds. There is no such thing as an original design by Rota. So copying a Rota would be a copy of a copy.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah there is. They used to have some original wheels. I wish I could find a set of Rota Retros for my CRX. But I hate that copycat crap. Here and there it is excusable, but the whole brand is built on it.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Default Re: Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels? (MrHeeltoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrHeeltoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, we had brainstormed this as well. That's probably what I would do. Also, some aftermarket camber-adjustable links might clear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I am thinking they might. Better than severely rolling the fender on the +36, because +36 is going to cause a few issues when lowered in the front. A +40 will not.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man I can't wait to try out a set of Nitto Nt-o1s in 225/45/15s on this rim. Supposedly coming out soon!!!

Anyone know if a RA-1 in a 205 is wider than a Azenis Rt-615 for comparison?

I'm thinking the nitto will prolly be slightly wider than the RA-1 since nitto is owned by toyo and the Nt-01 is suppose to be very similar in structure and compound to the RA-1.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels? (6spdKEG)

you can get a 225/45/15 Ra1 also
Old 11-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone interested in some 15x8 4x100 wheels? (slammed_93_hatch)

The Nitto will be the way to go. We have tried both the RA-1 and NT-01 and the Nitto is a little better tire in every way. Tolerates more heat, more predicatble when overheated, more grip and still wears well.

http://www.speedventures.net
Old 11-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone interested in some 15x8 4x100 wheels? (949Racing)

All said upon hearsay below from the E46 Forum:

The Nt01 is very similar if not same compound. Wear should be better if not same. The Nt01 will still want the Camber that RA-1s like.

Nt01 is a slick within 2/32s and does not require shaving before track driven.

Nt01 has less squirm at full tread but you will most likely want to stick with the RA1 in the rain.

Nt01 has more rubber and better technology to take the heat again and again just like the RA1 but to more of an Extreme.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:29 PM

Ok, updated Heeltoeauto.com with the wheels, colors, and offset options. Feel free to order and get the special price until the end of the month. For pickups, checkout and choose "Will Call" for your shipping option!

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/man...id=38
Old 11-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrHeeltoe)

man I want a set of these..... someday

props for the effort guys
Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pm sent
Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Re: (Wendys or Bust)

Bump for 8 days left!

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/
Old 11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrHeeltoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 949Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you only knew how funny that sounds. There is no such thing as an original design by Rota. So copying a Rota would be a copy of a copy.

Thanks for the props though. While it looks similar to some other wheels like a BBS RG & RK, Enkei RP-F1 or ATS Comp Lite, the 6UL was designed from scratch. We ended up with some of the same engineering solutions that others have come with. The RK is optimized for a 5 lug pattern so it has more weight in the center than is needed for a 4x100. The RP-F1 has big gaps between the base of the spokes so it needs a taller drop center to maintain load capacity which reduces clearance for big rotors & calipers, also doesn't look as nice. The Comp lite has a center hub area big and beefy enough for a 5x114.3 so it's also overbuilt for a 4x100 and it has no lip at all.

Of allof them the RK is my favorite from a looks and engineering standpoint. If the 6UL was a 5 lug only wheel it would probably have ended up looking like that.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

these wheels look very nice, as they seem to be custom-designed for "our" cars and applications. and i respect your work on them and your opinion on rotas. but, i still have some black rota slipstreams on my crx. why? because they are of decent quality, are decent-looking, and are decently lightweight, for a decent price. yes, they copied off the desmond/spoon wheels. but, those wheels are exorbitantly priced. if these new 6UL wheels were available at the time i bought my used rotas (in jan '06), i probaby would have opted for them.
you admit to: "While it looks similar to some other wheels like a BBS RG & RK, Enkei RP-F1 or ATS Comp Lite, the 6UL was designed from scratch. We ended up with some of the same engineering solutions that others have come with."
so, rota happened to "end up with some (exactly) the same engineering solutions that others (spoon/desmond) have come up with." they still had to manufacture the wheels, while making them affordable and of reasonable quality. you call it copying, they call them replicas.
a cliche occurs to me now...
something about "... reinventing the wheel."
anyway, i like the wheels from the specs and info and pictures, and i will probably get a set. i just wanted to voice my opinion on the rota issue.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Re: (KFBhonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KFBhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"While it looks similar to some other wheels like a BBS RG & RK, Enkei RP-F1 or ATS Comp Lite, the 6UL was designed from scratch. We ended up with some of the same engineering solutions that others have come with."
so, rota happened to "end up with some (exactly) the same engineering solutions that others (spoon/desmond) have come up with." they still had to manufacture the wheels, while making them affordable and of reasonable quality. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There is a difference. 949 put the reserch into wheel design and found that the important factors in wheel design are considered by other makers. While the 6UL looks similar to the other wheels mentioned, notice that the wheel is actually different. Similar is not the same. This wheel is designed to be it's own performance wheel.

Rota, on the other hand, seems concerned enough about engineering to make a wheel that performs acceptably, but have made no effort whatsoever to design their own look. They are spitting images to the wheels which inspire them. Call it replica, call it copying, call it imitation....it all means the same.

Rotas are made for getting a certain look for a low price. 6ULs are made for racing and happen to look nice. Emilio told me on many occasions that this wheel was never designed to look good. But the excellence in design led to a symmetrical pattern that is pleasing to the eye.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the +40 still rub on the trailing arm (not the upper 'camber' arm) with the 225 or the 205? I have spc upper camber arms and they dont rub on my +45 15x7 Kosei K1, so i dont' think it will interfere with these wheels in that area. In any case, a 3mm spacer would fix that, and of course a full fender roll front and rear.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in som 15x8 4x100 wheels?