Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Aftermarket seat + stock seat belt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket seat + stock seat belt?

I just ordered a MOMO CUP seat and thier universal slider bracket. I would prefer to use my stock seatbelt for now but the one half of the buckle is atatched to the factory seat. I own a 98 Civic hatch, has anyone ever done this before (use an aftermarket seat and be able to utilise the stock seat belt)?

If there has already been a post on this sorry, please put up the link.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2003, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Aftermarket seat + stock seat belt? (EKhatch)

i consider using stock seat belt with real racing seats a very bad thing. unless you got thighs the size of tree trunks and a beer keg of a belly, its not going to be snug around you. i wouldnt put the seat in without installing at least a 4 pt harness.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:21 AM

It can be done.
I’ve done that on my Integra. I used the stock seat rail and put a platform on the rail. That way you don’t even need the Momo seat rail (save some $$). All you need to do it separate the seat itself with the rail. Once is separate, you will find that you can put a platform on top / across them. You can then mount the seat on that platform. I used some heat-treated 5mm thick aluminum. By doing this, you can still keep you stock seat belt. This method does require some drilling on the rail itself cause in my case; there are only 3 bolt locations available. I need to drill another one so my platform is secure enough.
Now my seat is so secure that I can shake the whole car with it.

[Modified by v67-gsr, 10:23 AM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket seat + stock seat belt? (Tyson)

i consider using stock seat belt with real racing seats a very bad thing. unless you got thighs the size of tree trunks and a beer keg of a belly, its not going to be snug around you. i wouldnt put the seat in without installing at least a 4 pt harness.
Most people consider using a harness without a cage a death trap. You would use your stock seat belt with your stock seat right, then why not with an aftermarket seat. It will sure as hell hold me better than my stock seat. I didn't say it before but keep in mind I am using my car for auto-x right now not any major racing events.

v67-gsr Thanks I will look into that when my seat comes in.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i meant to add that most ppl will think the addition of a harness requires a rollbar as well. but i really didnt want to get into that discussion. so, basically, why bother with a set if your not going to put a harness (and rollbar) in. but whatever. do what you want.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i meant to add that most ppl will think the addition of a harness requires a rollbar as well. but i really didnt want to get into that discussion. so, basically, why bother with a set if your not going to put a harness (and rollbar) in. but whatever. do what you want.
Don't take this the wrong way but it doesn't sound like you have ever done a parking lot auto-x with a stock seat before. I plan on getting a cage latter on down the road but for this season a seat is going to do wonders for me. I mainly got the seat for support fom side to side not much more and not much less!
Old 02-25-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, try this. first, make sure the seat is fully upright. thats the only position the seat should ever be in anyway unless you got height issues. before your run, put your left foot on the dead pedal and push your *** all the way back into the seat. you will notice a definate effect and will find yourself better planted in the stock seat. the other thing you can try is slide the seat back a bit, snap the seat belt to lock the tension, and carefully move the seat back to normal position and remain locked.

just pushing my *** into the seat has always been enough for me with a stock seat. and yes, i have done autox and track events before i ever got my rollcage, harness and seat all installed (at the same time).
Old 02-25-2003, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tyson,
That is very interesting about using the seat belt that way. I haven't ever thought of or seen anyone do that before. If I don't get the seat in before the first few events I will give that a try. Another good point that you brought up is the height issue, which I have. With my helmet on my head is wedged against the top of the head liner unless I scoot the seat way forward and then tilt it back a bit. I think the new seat will sit a bit lower and may solve this problem.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:57 AM

[quote]unless you got thighs the size of tree trunks and a beer keg of a belly, its not going to be snug around you. quote]

Watcha talkin 'bout Willis?

[Modified by ITACivic, 11:57 AM 2/25/2003]