Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

20CiviC02Si's "TK (Time Killer)" Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 20CiviC02Si's "TK (Time Killer)" Project

Wheels will be showing up tomorrow. Today i finally got it back on the steelies, after going to 3 different part stores luckily finding enough 60 degree tapered open ended lug nuts. Cost $32... don't understand why they're so damn expensive. Had i thought it out earlier, i would have ordered from Summit Racing. They had sets of 4 for $3/set. Oh well you live and learn.

Now that it's back on the wheels i adjusted the ride heights, couldn't gain access to scales and won't be able to corner balance for this event.... Not the end of the world i guess. Just going to have to ball park it. Doing a proper alignment at the track, just need to get it close so i can drive out there.

Tomorrow or Saturday i'll be heading down to John Berget Racing Tires to pick up the 2, 225/45/15 R6s, depending on whether or not i can get them mounted tomorrow. That is now the new dilemma. Shops want to charge $100+ to have 4 tires mounted and balanced now days.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just use the rubber provided I recommend. also saves some money...

Old 08-31-2012, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will do! Wasn't sure how much the tires had left on them.

Last edited by 20CiviC02Si; 08-31-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Love your build!

Quite informative as well. I've got a 2000 black EM1 and will be taking a lot from this thread.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quickst...in/photostream

Keep it up and have fun this weekend!

and I remember your EP3 from CRSX, too. That was a nice build, too! I use to own a mugen themed silver rsx with volk time attacks.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PrototypeRacer
Love your build!

Quite informative as well. I've got a 2000 black EM1 and will be taking a lot from this thread.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quickst...in/photostream

Keep it up and have fun this weekend!

and I remember your EP3 from CRSX, too. That was a nice build, too! I use to own a mugen themed silver rsx with volk time attacks.
Thanks man i have been having a good time working on it. Helps keep the mind off my girl being in the Peace Corps out in Albania. I think i remember you RSX off of CRSX. Miss my EP3 very much now that it's gone.

If it weren't for my friends this build would not be as far along as it is now.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

...not bad to play with out on track until you need more grip, they are slightly used R888's but are fun to use.
For me sliding around a tad helped me tune the suspension and aero better, when I was running this setup.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i've been using Hoosier R6s on the car ever since i got it, a change in tire should make a difference. Always wanted to try the R888s.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i got 3 of the 4 wheels from FedEx. Giving the distribution center a call to see what's up with this.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got off the phone with FedEx and i'm being told to give them a call tomorrow morning to see if it made it to Madison, WI. If it did, i can either wait for delivery if they get it on the truck, but i think i'm just going to drive down and pick it up if it does make it. If it doesn't make it not sure what i'll do.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tracing from my end.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well FedEx failed completely on the delivery of the 4th wheel. Received a message telling me to give them a call and give detailed descriptions of the contents as well as pricing of replacements.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got back from a busy track weekend. Spent 3 days out at Gingerman Raceway. After having a pair of Hoosiers mounted by Mikey at ProFunction in Schaumburg, IL, i shot out to the track. Got about 18 miles away from the track and landed right in the middle of one freakish thunderstorm. The sky all of a sudden turned pitch black and let loose enough rain to immediately flood the highway. Worse was that i had the windows down, and since i gutted the doors i was unable to immediately roll them up. Needless to say i got a bit wet, even more worrying was my exposed AEM cold air. I pulled under an overpass and waited it out. Had a little scare as the intake sucked in a little water and the motor began to sputter, it cleared up and i reached the track with no further issues.

Spent Saturday night hanging with my good buddies, drinking some beer and touching up the alignment on the car. The toe in the front was off quite a bit, so i straightened it out. The rear toe was off but didn't mess with it because i was too tired to. I probably should have fixed it since it was at 1/8" in.

Sunday i ran the car on the track going counterclockwise. It ran pretty good in the morning sessions. I had my buddy go out since he's gotten a lot more seat time this year than me and he clocked a 1:52.7 in it. Times were comparable to his street/hpde miata (full interior, 15x8 949s, 225/45/17 Hankook RS3s, and stance coilovers). So not bad given he's over 400lbs lighter. I was having issues getting used to braking in the car, this time i was locking them up versus not having brakes at all. Honestly this car has me perplexed on the weird issues with braking. Causing my best lap time to be a 157.7. I have yet to time all the footage yet, so there might be a faster lap out there. My last session of the day i locked up going into turn three trying to mimic my friend's lap in his miata. Went into the corner at about 100mph, felt the tires lock up soon as i got to the crest, immediately backed off but by then i was already sliding through the grass at about 60mph. Ended up sliding 70ft off track into the sand trap, had to get pulled out. This was the first time i have ever had to be pulled out ever.

Monday we ran clockwise or "Race Direction" and due to the high track temps, i was having trouble getting the car to rotate once again. The high spring rates caused the car to bounce on turn 8, which we just powered through. On the second session i started to notice that the front grip was going away and the car began to wash out. Upon returning to the pits i realized what the feeling was, it was my caused by the hoosiers up front that were now corded. Because FedEx failed to deliver the 4th wheel and still has yet to do just that, i didn't have a spare pair of wheels/tires to continue running. So my day ended at 11am with only two very sketchy sessions, probably caused by the tires.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

******* FedEx...

Sounds like much more of a fun weekend than I had, although yours was cut short. You going to post the video/s up?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool build man! Looking forward to seeing where it ends up in the future!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, at minimum, glass is half full kind-a thinking, the wheel that is lost, had the nail in it! 8)
Splitter!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by niccer
******* FedEx...

Sounds like much more of a fun weekend than I had, although yours was cut short. You going to post the video/s up?
Yeah it was an interesting one. Especially with all of the offs, most were simple to correct. The one that put me and the car in the sand box is fun to watch! I'll post vids up tomorrow. Had a long weekend, just got home. It's time for me to relax and watch some mindless tv.

Originally Posted by gramkrackers
Cool build man! Looking forward to seeing where it ends up in the future!
Me too! Right now i just need to get some more seat time in the car so i can adjust to the hardcore spring rates.

Originally Posted by Robin6
Well, at minimum, glass is half full kind-a thinking, the wheel that is lost, had the nail in it! 8)
Splitter!
For sure, we'll see what's what with FedEx. Going to call them in the morning.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gingerman Raceway 09/02/12 Session III
http://youtu.be/4C5YglT-yfU

Beaching Project TK 09/02/12 Session IV
http://youtu.be/eIoLh87mXZc

Aftermath of the beaching. The sand next to the car wasn't from me!

Last edited by 20CiviC02Si; 09-06-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also got a voicemail from FedEx letting me know that they found the 4th wheel and that it's in route to be delivered finally! So i'm happy about that. Although i'm a bit worried that these wheels aren't capable of withstanding a beating from the civic very long.

Here is why i'm skeptical. This wheel came off my buddy's K24 swapped DC2, and were only 1 year old. It broke and let loose mid-corner sending him for a ride in the grass. Upon further inspection of the passenger side front, we found stress fractures in the same spots that this wheel broke in. So for now i'm going to inspect mine before every track day.

949 is sending him a replacement set of the new 3rd gen wheels that are supposed to be a stronger design. They were designed to be ran on a lightweight miata, not a heavier 260whp FWD Integra.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^
Old 09-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Running with same tires front and rear will help too.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah was just making due with what was available.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting, I know some local guys have had issues with the 949 Racing wheels too. I was thinking of getting a set but now I am not so sure....

Also I noticed you have some motor mounts, are they the Innovative? How do you like them? I am tryinf to decide which to go with.

Last edited by gramkrackers; 09-07-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That has been the 5th or 6th 949 I have seen broken at the same spot notated the generation. The funny part is how arrogant Emilio is about they are designed for a light Miata haha. Umm the Miata is not some 1000 pound car. I would run a rota before I ran one of these wheels he is selling a chinease made wheel and passing it off as a USA made wheel because when it enters the country all he has to claim is 84 dollar wheel has 85 dollars in QC and inspection in the US. This is no guessing it's public knowledge to know these are ordered from china with a digging on the web.

Car is coming along great. Any big plans for the winter?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gramkrackers
Interesting, I know some local guys have had issues with the 949 Racing wheels too. I was thinking of getting a set but now I am not so sure....

Also I noticed you have some motor mounts, are they the Innovative? How do you like them? I am tryinf to decide which to go with.
Yeah they are Innovative with 95a durometer bushings. They vibrate a lot, so unless you're fully dedicated to the car being a track car. I would suggest getting softer mounts. My car only gets driven to and from the track then parked. But i love them!

Originally Posted by powerneedy
That has been the 5th or 6th 949 I have seen broken at the same spot notated the generation. The funny part is how arrogant Emilio is about they are designed for a light Miata haha. Umm the Miata is not some 1000 pound car. I would run a rota before I ran one of these wheels he is selling a Chinese made wheel and passing it off as a USA made wheel because when it enters the country all he has to claim is 84 dollar wheel has 85 dollars in QC and inspection in the US. This is no guessing it's public knowledge to know these are ordered from china with a digging on the web.

Car is coming along great. Any big plans for the winter?
Not quite sure what's in store for this winter. I am looking into getting some aero on the car for next year if not sooner. I think front splitter and rear wing will help with tire wear and front grip. Aside from that going to be making the car lighter, and saving money up for track time next year.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another

Quick Reply: 20CiviC02Si's "TK (Time Killer)" Project