Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

1991 Civic for Auto-x

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 1991 Civic for Auto-x

I am in the process of buying a 1991 Civic that I will be setting up for my auto-x car. I want to keep the car mostly stock to start out with and eventually either supercharge or do a B16 swap or both.

First off I would like to know what suspension anyone would suggest for auto-xing. I've had a couple of people tell me to look into KYB AXG. I've read a little about the KYB's and some people say there are awesome for auto-x and other say they are only good for DD.

I'd also like to get some opinions on tires. I think I'm going to be running sticky street tires or r-compounds. I was looking into Falken Azenis or Victoracers for the street tires. I'm not sure on the r-compounds yet.

I am fairly new to doing research like this for a car, so any help that I can get is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1991 Civic for Auto-x

Keep it stock for the first few autocrosses, and just do some good maintenance when you get it.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 PM

I am going to be keeping it stock at least for the frist auto-x. But I know I'm not going to be happy with stock. I have auto-xed before in many different vehciles both on stock suspension and on coilovers and I know I'm going to want good suspension. It's my plan to learn the car how it is stock, and then see what kinda difference I can make with a better set-up.

I'm also buying this car from a friend and I know that the car is in good working order. I should not need to do much, if any maintenance.

One of my other friends who specializes in tuning Hondas will be getting it race ready as well.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude why haven't you just typed in 1991 Civic in the search for this thread? There is and S ton of info. The EF chassis is the spec car for the now ST class. Search Redshiftmotorsports Chris Shenfield has done everything for you. I'll even post the link http://www.redshiftmotorsports.com/R...ech%20Page.htm

Your welcome.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky91
I am in the process of buying a 1991 Civic that I will be setting up for my auto-x car. I want to keep the car mostly stock to start out with and eventually either supercharge or do a B16 swap or both.

First off I would like to know what suspension anyone would suggest for auto-xing. I've had a couple of people tell me to look into KYB AXG. I've read a little about the KYB's and some people say there are awesome for auto-x and other say they are only good for DD.

I'd also like to get some opinions on tires. I think I'm going to be running sticky street tires or r-compounds. I was looking into Falken Azenis or Victoracers for the street tires. I'm not sure on the r-compounds yet.

I am fairly new to doing research like this for a car, so any help that I can get is greatly appreciated.

STOP go back and search.. You didnt search anything just asked what we suggest
you werent and arent the first or last not to search.. this has been covered 52 quadrillion times.
Stinky go get him!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 PM

First off Vbspec I'm not a dude, I'm a chick.

Second...I did search you jerks. However, after at least an hour of trying to find something solid I decided to ask a question on here. Forgive me, but I thought that's what a forum is for. Some of us don't have time to scroll through 500 threads to find 10 useful bits of information.

Third...don't be patronizing...it's just plain rude...especially to new members. Way to bring out the welcome wagon on this one.

On a more positive note. Thank you vbspec for posting that link, lots of good info pack into one page. Which is what I had kinda been searching for but not finding on my own...which is why I asked for help.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Suspetise...

Ask yourself these questions:
1. What class do you want to run in?
2. Do you want to be competitive in that class, or just have fun?
3. Why haven't you searched for this information yet?
4. Victoracers aren't street tires.

If you've autocrossed a bunch, you understand some concept of classing, so I won't go into that. It will be the #1 piece of information you'll need in going forward with modifications, to maintain legality.

And ok, #4 isn't a question, but it's a good piece of information.

Here is how to research, as it will have way more info than I can list, or want to: https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-type-r-8/search-2589198/

And here's the RRAX FAQ, posted at the top of this forum, that also has a lot of information and links that can help you: https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/faq-road-racing-autocross-forum-2574277/

You are new here, and so maybe don't know how things work. That search link I posted is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU WILL EVER READ ON THIS SITE. Read it thoroughly, follow the directions, and go forward in accumulating knowledge. All the answers to your questions have been covered here, I absolutely guarantee it. I'll give you some search term pointers:
-"Autox"
-"Autocross"
-"Swap"
-"Suspension"
-"KYB"

Just make sure you select the RRAX forum, as that will give you the most pertinent results. If after all of that you still have questions, PM me and I'll open the thread back up.

For now, *LOCKED*
Old 08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Suspetise...

Originally Posted by Pinky91
Second...I did search you jerks. However, after at least an hour of trying to find something solid I decided to ask a question on here. Forgive me, but I thought that's what a forum is for. Some of us don't have time to scroll through 500 threads to find 10 useful bits of information.
Understand two things here please. First, PROPERLY searching is the way to find what you want. Like I said in my other post, I absolutely guarantee the information is available here. I've seen it and read it many times. Following the Search rules (in that link I posted, which was somehow unstickied from here) will guide you in the best way to accomplish that.

Second, and I mean this in a nice way, if you don't have time to scroll through search results, what makes you think we do? A lot of the information we'll regurgitate is from reading stuff over the years. Again, nicely, we don't spoonfeed you here.

PM'd you.