Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

16 x 8 wheel ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16 x 8 wheel ???

im looking at a set of 16 x 8 te37's for my 99si. im thinking that im going to get them in 38 offset. ive searched alot about offset issues and i can only get info on 16 x 7 which i collected that anything less than 42 will alter my suspension geometry and take away from the handling of the car. am i right im my assumption of a 38 offest and will that extra inch of width give me more cornering grip over the 16 x 7. thanks
Old 09-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 16 x 8 wheel ??? (bonSI)

Why 16s?

Edit: Different (better) tires will make a much bigger difference in traction than 1" more wheel. The wider wheel is REALLY just to allow for more tire, and less so to hopefully give a more optimal contact patch.

Double-Edit: You're talking about altered suspension geometry, which won't REALLY come into play with the kind of stuff you'll be dealing with. What will come into play though is the wheel hitting stuff, either the fender, the shock, or the trailing arm, or all of the above.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 16 x 8 wheel ??? (Stinkycheezmonky)

IMO that is to much wheel/tire for an stockish 1.6.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stinkycheezmonky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why 16s?</TD></TR></TABLE>

to be honest, i like the way they look over the 15 and they are still very light. the car is not a fully devoted track car but nearly every dollar i have spent on the car has been suspension mods and i wanted to take full advantage i everything i have done. i was thinking 16 x 8 to make room for future power additions and to maximize contact with the road. i have driven fwd's with large tires mounted on rims that must not have been wide enough and the wheel felt mushy and unresponsive. if 16 x 8 is overkill for an eventual 200+ whp then i guess i need to keep reading.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bonSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
if 16 x 8 is overkill for an eventual 200+ whp then i guess i need to keep reading. </TD></TR></TABLE>

he never said its overkill for 200+whp.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Destroyer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO that is to much wheel/tire for an stockish 1.6.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Suspetise...

Default Re: 16 x 8 wheel ??? (verticle)

Well, nice to both the OP and Destroyer, one didn't post his engine setup, the other made an assumption. Moving on

The thing you'll want to consider most, and the thing that will make an infinitely larger difference in how the car behaves is the tires you choose. People with way less than 200whp already have trouble putting that power to the ground, so you'll be needing something good (assuming you want to be competitive, and it sounds like you do, sort of).

If you DO want to be competitive, you'll want an R-comp of some variety. They have limited sizes to begin with, and are further limited to sizes that will actually work with your car, regardless of wheel diameter (space within the wheelwell is what I'm referring to). I would take a hard look at what is available first, then make your wheel choice.

If you DON'T want to be competitive and just don't care, then some of the decent street tires will be fine for you. They won't be setting records, but you'll have a wider variety of size options.

I'm not familiar enough with the EK/EM body to go recommending offsets to you unfortunately. I would think that +42 would be way too inward to the center of the car, and you'd rub on stuff. +38 might even not be enough. I have +35 15x8s on my EG and I have slight rubbing issues on the front framerail and the rear trailing arm. Again though, I don't know how that translates to your car.

Super Ninja Edit: Ultimately, the width of your tire will determine your actual grip. This is why guys shoehorn a 245 onto a 6" wide wheel in xS class. If you want to have good feel too though, you're on the right track (assuming you're not limiting yourself to a class, as I'm sure from the sound of it your car is already classed poorly).
Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol for everyone!!! hehe

For the OP, I've had the same thought you have, and am picking these up this week. Enkei's They clear well, weigh little, and can fit 245's pretty easily. However, in the 16's the only 245 R-comp out is the 245x45 and those end up being pretty tall(24.7") So you may want to look into a very sharp(4.7+) final drive.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Re: 16 x 8 wheel ??? (TheMidasTouch)

Originally Posted by Stinkycheezmonky
Well, nice to both the OP and Destroyer, one didn't post his engine setup, the other made an assumption. Moving on

The thing you'll want to consider most, and the thing that will make an infinitely larger difference in how the car behaves is the tires you choose. People with way less than 200whp already have trouble putting that power to the ground, so you'll be needing something good (assuming you want to be competitive, and it sounds like you do, sort of).

If you DO want to be competitive, you'll want an R-comp of some variety. They have limited sizes to begin with, and are further limited to sizes that will actually work with your car, regardless of wheel diameter (space within the wheelwell is what I'm referring to). I would take a hard look at what is available first, then make your wheel choice.

If you DON'T want to be competitive and just don't care, then some of the decent street tires will be fine for you. They won't be setting records, but you'll have a wider variety of size options.

I'm not familiar enough with the EK/EM body to go recommending offsets to you unfortunately. I would think that +42 would be way too inward to the center of the car, and you'd rub on stuff. +38 might even not be enough. I have +35 15x8s on my EG and I have slight rubbing issues on the front framerail and the rear trailing arm. Again though, I don't know how that translates to your car.

Super Ninja Edit: Ultimately, the width of your tire will determine your actual grip. This is why guys shoehorn a 245 onto a 6" wide wheel in xS class. If you want to have good feel too though, you're on the right track (assuming you're not limiting yourself to a class, as I'm sure from the sound of it your car is already classed poorly).
well your super ninja edit skills are on point that i have not moded the car with a class in mind. i didnt expect that i would have made such progress so quickly but when the money is in hand and i can afford to spend it on my car, i didnt want to do it half *** and in the process probably moded myself out of a couple classes i could have been competitive in out the box. but that aside i definitely want to stay x8 on the width and will leave the diameter open to change based on tire availability and prices. i will definitely find out exactly what offset will work best for the em1 chassis and the tire sizes i am thinking about. i was looking into some ventus z211 for starters because they are cheap and designed for the track. being somewhat competitive on the race track and driving home after is the name of the game for the car right now, which i think is within my reach.

Originally Posted by TheMidasTouch
lol for everyone!!! hehe

For the OP, I've had the same thought you have, and am picking these up this week. Enkei's They clear well, weigh little, and can fit 245's pretty easily. However, in the 16's the only 245 R-comp out is the 245x45 and those end up being pretty tall(24.7") So you may want to look into a very sharp(4.7+) final drive.
cant go wrong with RP-F1's.

Originally Posted by verticle

he never said its overkill for 200+whp.
true, i just didnt want my wheel width and tire size to be the bottle neck to the handling of the car. and yes its a stockish b16a2 right now but that will change in time. thanks for all the input guys. definitely gonna keep reading
Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Suspetise...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bonSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i was looking into some ventus z211 for starters because they are cheap and designed for the track. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Am I correct in my thinking that you're a total track noob? If so, start with a street tire, please. You'll learn so much more beginning that way.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes its a stockish b16a2 right now but that will change in time. thanks for all the input guys. definitely gonna keep reading </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are autocrossing why not build it for sts or similar class, and run a street tire?

You will learn alot more about your car while not investing much into it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by verticle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hammer away bud, im just giving an opinion from my experiences.

1. The guy isnt sure what class hes going to be in, the 16x8 already takes him out of stock and sts iirc.
2. The guy is a novice, and looking to buy race rubber immediately, not something I suggest but everyones different.
3. A 16x7 will probably allow him to fit the tires he wants, and keep him in a certain class. More wheel options in a 16x7.

If you are on any sort of budget, **** will add up fast. Goodluck and in the end do what you want.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 16 x 8 wheel ??? (The Destroyer)

the was directed at OP. i was pointing out that he took your statement out of context.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just buy my motegi trak lites with r comps
Old 09-09-2008, 03:22 PM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stinkycheezmonky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Am I correct in my thinking that you're a total track noob? If so, start with a street tire, please. You'll learn so much more beginning that way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not only would I suggest starting with a street tire, but I'd suggest using whatever you've got on your car for your first half dozen events. During this time you'll be working on your own limits, not the limits of your car or its tires, and you'll learn more from crappy tires than from supersticky tires.

One other point. If you intend to move up to R compound tires at some point, the selection in 16" sizes that will fit your car is extremely limited; there are lots more choices in 15" and 17" sizes. So 16" wheels are often not the best choice for track use for this reason.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 16 x 8 wheel ??? (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

One other point. If you intend to move up to R compound tires at some point, the selection in 16" sizes that will fit your car is extremely limited; there are lots more choices in 15" and 17" sizes. So 16" wheels are often not the best choice for track use for this reason.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

On the other hand, you will find better street tire widths in 16". (Azenis, RE01R, Z1...)
Old 09-10-2008, 12:43 PM

Default Re: 16 x 8 wheel ??? (The Destroyer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stinkycheezmonky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Am I correct in my thinking that you're a total track noob? If so, start with a street tire, please. You'll learn so much more beginning that way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

total noob for sure.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Destroyer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you are autocrossing why not build it for sts or similar class, and run a street tire?

You will learn alot more about your car while not investing much into it.

Hammer away bud, im just giving an opinion from my experiences.

1. The guy isnt sure what class hes going to be in, the 16x8 already takes him out of stock and sts iirc.
2. The guy is a novice, and looking to buy race rubber immediately, not something I suggest but everyones different.
3. A 16x7 will probably allow him to fit the tires he wants, and keep him in a certain class. More wheel options in a 16x7.

If you are on any sort of budget, **** will add up fast. Goodluck and in the end do what you want. </TD></TR></TABLE>

like i said, the car has not really been moving toward any particular class or event type. yes im a novice. at this point im at a loss, my thoughts are being pulled in different directions. part of me has been building the car to full potential but a the same time i would definitely like to participate in something more organized than just an open track session. in the end this is all good info and i think you guys have convinced me to stay away from the R compound tires and go with a 7in width. i agree that there is more to be gained than just performance in tire selection. as far as the 15 or 16 diameter i think the jury is still out.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

total noob for sure.

like i said, the car has not really been moving toward any particular class or event type. yes im a novice. at this point im at a loss, my thoughts are being pulled in different directions. part of me has been building the car to full potential but a the same time i would definitely like to participate in something more organized than just an open track session. in the end this is all good info and i think you guys have convinced me to stay away from the R compound tires and go with a 7in width. i agree that there is more to be gained than just performance in tire selection. as far as the 15 or 16 diameter i think the jury is still out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be honest man, I was pretty set on 16x8's myself, but am on the fence from 15's, 16's, and 17's now(6ul's, RPF1's, and the 5Zigens). Even with me knowing the final goal for my car, as well as the range of performance i need. I still cant decide

I wish they made more R-comps in 16's
Old 09-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in the end this is all good info and i think you guys have convinced me to stay away from the R compound tires and go with a 7in width. i agree that there is more to be gained than just performance in tire selection. as far as the 15 or 16 diameter i think the jury is still out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A 15x7/7.5 is prob a good choice if you only want to buy wheels once. Plenty of rcomp options, the tires will be cheaper as well.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Suspetise...

Default Re: 16 x 8 wheel ??? (TheMidasTouch)

bonSI and Midas, here's some advice:

Don't build the car for where you ultimately want it to be, but rather start with it 75-80% of the way there (or less; stock cars are great). A top-running competitive race car is a TERRIBLE car to learn with. You want something that will be a little forgiving, so you can learn to push yourself and the car without putting yourself into a wall.

Of all the students I've taught who went and "built" a race car to start with, only one of them has proven to be successful. The rest either gave up or switched to a tamer setup.

Both you and the car must follow a learning process
Old 09-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stinkycheezmonky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Both you and the car must follow a learning process</TD></TR></TABLE>

True words.

Sadly, this is about the only thing about racing that video games do get correct. You start off as a n00b with a stock car, and as you gain skill they allow you to make the car faster.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 16 x 8 wheel ??? (TunerN00b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stinkycheezmonky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bonSI and Midas, here's some advice:

Don't build the car for where you ultimately want it to be, but rather start with it 75-80% of the way there (or less; stock cars are great). A top-running competitive race car is a TERRIBLE car to learn with. You want something that will be a little forgiving, so you can learn to push yourself and the car without putting yourself into a wall.

Of all the students I've taught who went and "built" a race car to start with, only one of them has proven to be successful. The rest either gave up or switched to a tamer setup.

Both you and the car must follow a learning process </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks! I'm actually not a total newb, I've been racing for the past 3 years. But only 3 years is certainly not enough to say i dont have much more to learn.

I ended up buying a set of these in the Nickel finish and 15X8's:

I'm up in CO, and have lost 10 mph off my trap speeds when I had the luxury of air So i figured it may be too ambitious(for now) to try to turn 16's or 17's.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stinkycheezmonky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bonSI and Midas, here's some advice:

Both you and the car must follow a learning process </TD></TR></TABLE>

well nuff said, i guess ive got to crawl before i can walk and the fact that the car still has to maintain streetability for the mean time reinforces what you just said. i just really want to have fun and enjoy the fruits of my labor and passion. thanks for the guidance, this really has become a sort of cross roads in that the car is at a point where the next mods are getting more and more influential to the behavior of the car and my driving (good or bad). thanks again

Modified by bonSI at 9:40 AM 9/11/2008