Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

"Forced Air" helmets - anyone using them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Forced Air" helmets - anyone using them?

This Friday I visited Viper Days and begged some ridealongs. When I put my 5-year-old helmet on I almost gagged from the smell. It's time for it to go.

So I was thinking maybe one of those forced air helmets that accepts a duct hose (from a NACA duct outside the car for fresh air) would be good. My only concern is losing a contact due to having too much wind in a confined area.

If you use one of these helmets, what do you think?
Old 07-21-2002, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: "Forced Air" helmets - anyone using them? (krshultz)

My nickel's worth of free useless advice - give me your addy, I'll ship you my NACA duct and put it in your window of the 'burban. Tell me you want that air in your helmet I did it as a test before pulling the trigger on a FA helmet - uhmmm, not me on a 90 degree day at 70 on the highway - I swear it was 10 degrees hotter than the air my hand could reach a foot further away (out the window). Maybe that's just me but I did try it in the porchey and the truck with the same *apparent* results.

I think you'd want to do the cool-suit setup if you want to buy an FA helmet. You are looking at the type II or stage II or something like that that cools the air from a NACA duct *and* filters it before it enters your helmet.

If you do decide to use the outside air, I'd think you'd want to construct a filter for it. TrackRat can prolly give you a very funny description of what NACA ducts were pumping into the car coming out of 3b at LMS