Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

"01" GSR with JDM B18C complete swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "01" GSR with JDM B18C complete swap

I did JDM type r motor and trans swap. I am presently in STS, I assume this puts me in STX because of LSD? Also, can I sign up to be an SCCA member at Autox or do I need to do that online? Thanks
Old 03-19-2002, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "01" GSR with JDM B18C complete swap (2001silvergsr)

From my recollection motor swaps put you in some type of MOD class
Old 03-19-2002, 05:08 PM
.RJ

motor swaps put you in street mod....

you can just show up at the day of the event (you pay non-scca member price) and tell them you're a novice and say "who can help me out" because you'll need it on your first day...

Ryan
Old 03-19-2002, 05:26 PM

Default Re: "01" GSR with JDM B18C complete swap (Type-RJ)

Ive autox for a year now. Been to quite a few, just a bit past novice. I thought if you swaped motor that was available in same model car, you could be in STX. Integra GSR, Type R, Ls etc. Correct me if Im wrong. I was going to get my membership this weekend when I goto Camden. Reason I did swap is I blew my motor. I figure it time to save $5.00 per race, I also want to get car on track. I need membership before i goto school.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:37 PM
.RJ

ah ok, i didnt know you were not a novice... however...

quoted from http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rule...tml#17.11. STX

All allowances in STS would carry over, including street tires, rim restrictions, emissions, etc.

All restrictions regarding body type carry over.

Engine size allowance: up to 5.1, normally aspirated and 2.0, forced induction (single turbo or supercharger).

Only factory limited slip differentials (LSD) are allowed on AWD vehicles, as defined in Section 12.4. For 2WD vehicles and AWD vehicles that did not come with any type of limited slip differential (including center differential or transfer case), a single aftermarket LSD may be added.

High flow catalytic converters are allowed, but must attach within six inches of the original unit.

Alternate motor mounts and/or engine locators (bobble struts) sold by the vehicle's manufacturer or their Motorsports subsidiary or affiliate ( Chrysler/Mopar, Toyota/TRD , Honda/Mugen, etc.) are allowed.

Alternate driver and front passenger seats are allowed, but they cannot be constructed of a solid outer shell and must have a suspended bottom cushion and be fully upholstered.

Brake rotors and calipers are unrestricted, but must attach to the original attachment points.

Additionally excluded cars: BMW M3 (E36 and E46), BMW M5 (all).

Ive autox for a year now. Been to quite a few, just a bit past novice. I thought if you swaped motor that was available in same model car, you could be in STX. Integra GSR, Type R, Ls etc. Correct me if Im wrong. I was going to get my membership this weekend when I goto Camden. Reason I did swap is I blew my motor. I figure it time to save $5.00 per race, I also want to get car on track. I need membership before i goto school.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:43 PM

LSD is factory, looks like Ill be in STX. Most cars in that class in my area are WRX's. They dont run as good of times as th 2.5 rs suburuas. I dont understand this, but who cares, that their problem. STS is always so overcrowded. hopefully I can be competitive, like win my class for once! Anyone going to Camden Autox this weekend?
Old 03-19-2002, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can legally do this swap. The motor you've chosen was not an option for the GSR in the US. Overseas cars do not apply since you're not racing overseas.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:03 PM

Default Re: "01" GSR with JDM B18C complete swap (johng)

It is a type r motor though, which is available here. I understand JDM is slightly different, as far as compression, but that is it. I hope that doesnt screw me. I dont have money to switch again and the car is finally running right. Does anyone know about this for sure?
Old 03-19-2002, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but a type r motor was not an option for a GSR, the only motor option for a GSR is a B18C1, period

Brian
Old 03-19-2002, 06:12 PM

Default Re: "01" GSR with JDM B18C complete swap (Brian*Black99Si)

Read from link posted above. In STX you can have different motor from same style car. IE Integra models, GSR, Type R, LS etc can switch motors to any models. Must have factory LSD though. Am I not understanding, someone who knows please clarify. Thank you again.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:24 PM
.RJ

(STS Rules - once again: All allowances in STS would carry over, including street tires, rim restrictions, emissions, etc. )

17.10. ENGINE

Engine and transmission must remain unmodified, including emissions equipment, except as noted below:

Alternate air cleaner enclosures up to carburetor or throttlebody. This does not allow any changes to intercoolers.

Headers, emissions-legal.

The engine management system parameters and operations may be modified only by the methods listed below. Any and all modifications must meet or exceed the applicable US DOT emissions standards for the year, make, and model of the car.

These allowances also apply to forced induction cars, except that no changes to standard boost levels, intercoolers, or boost controls are permitted.
Reprogrammed ECU may be used in the standard housing. Traction control parameters may not be altered.

Electronic components may be installed inline between an engine's sensors and ECU. These components may alter the signal coming from the sensor in order to affect the ECU's operation of the engine management system. Example: fuel controllers that modify the signal coming from an airflow sensor.

Fuel pressure regulators may be replaced in lieu of electronic alterations to the fuel system. It is not permitted to electronically modify the fuel system AND replace a fuel presure regulator.

Ignition timing may be set at any point on factory adjustable distributor ignition systems.

VTEC controllers and other devices may be used which alter the timing of factory standard electronic variable valve timing systems.

All STS vehicles must comply with the Federal 49-state safety and tailpipe emissions test requirements as a minimum.

Short throw shift kits may be installed.

Any accessory pulleys and belts of the same type (e.g., V-belt, serpentine) as standard may be used. This allowance applies to accessory pulleys only (e.g., alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and crankshaft drive pulleys). It does not allow replacement, modification, or substitution of pulleys, cogs, gears, or belts which are part of cam, layshaft, or ignition drive or timing systems, etc. Supercharged cars are excluded from this allowance. This does not permit replacement of integral pulley-dampener/balancer assemblies.

Read from link posted above. In STX you can have different motor from same style car. IE Integra models, GSR, Type R, LS etc can switch motors to any models. Must have factory LSD though. Am I not understanding, someone who knows please clarify. Thank you again.
Nowhere does it say you can swap engines across model lines. This is only in street-mod, where you can put any engine in a car provided they share the same manufacturer - i.e. ITR engine in a CRX or a SR20DET in a 240SX....

The type-R is an entirely different model, not an option package... Since you are going to SM you can use whichever LSD you like although the ITR unit will work just fine for now...
Old 03-19-2002, 06:33 PM

I see now. dont know what my confusion was. Oh well SM it is, wonder how competitive Ill be in that class. Looks like rear seats are coming out. Now I have to find out about brake upgrades, more money. Just got front pads (Axxis Ultimates) and doing fluid change tomorrow. Ill work on my skills for awhile before I spend anymore cash. Thanks for info!
Old 03-19-2002, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By that logic, you are implying the the LSD is what puts you into STX, and that a Type R motor would be legal in STS. It is not. The Type R motor puts you into SM. It would be legal to put the B18B1 out of an LS into an RS chassis because they are exactly the same motor. It would be legal to put a B18C1 into a GS-R chassis. It would not be legal to put a B18C5 into anything other than a Type R chassis. You would be legal, as Ryan mentions, for SM since in that class you can insert any engine in the car that is made by the same company.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:51 PM

Default Re: "01" GSR with JDM B18C complete swap (WRXRacer111)

Thanks, I just posted that above yours, Street Modified it is than. Whens Evolution driving school start since Ill probably get my *** handed to me in this class. I was just making some progress in STS, which is pretty competitive, oh well. Anyone out at Camden this saturday that wants to give me some pointers on my driving skills and suspension set up would greatly be appreciated. Silver 2001 GSR and my name is Mike. I usually am the only one with a silver GSR out there.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see now. dont know what my confusion was. Oh well SM it is, wonder how competitive Ill be in that class. Looks like rear seats are coming out. Now I have to find out about brake upgrades, more money. Just got front pads (Axxis Ultimates) and doing fluid change tomorrow. Ill work on my skills for awhile before I spend anymore cash. Thanks for info!
GS-R brakes are fine for autocross. You already have good pads and fluid, so you will be fine. You don't get fast enough during an autox to really stress the brakes.

As for your confusion, don't sweat it. The rules are complex (and getting more so with every new class they add, which seems to happen quite frequently).

Play with what you have for now. Mods don't do you any good until you can do most of following:
1. Run consistent times (or slightly improving with each run).
2. Run close to the top guys in your class. And be a consistent distance from them event to event.
3. Be able to tell where you messed up in a run. Know where you can shave a few tenths or thousanths of a second in a run.
4. Be able to feel through your *** or hands or feet a change you make in the car. This includes subtle changes like +/-3psi tire pressures.

This is my 3rd season of autocrossing and I am only just getting to the point where I can claim to do 3 of the 4 in the list (not close enough to the top guys yet).
Old 03-19-2002, 07:21 PM

Default Re: "01" GSR with JDM B18C complete swap (Crack Monkey)

I was close to some of top guys in STS, well see in SM. I can do some things on list, suspension and tire pressure perplex me though. Changing pads and fluid because I have brake shudder at high speed stops. Going to have rotors turned and popping on the Axxis pads in front only. Im doing a complete flush because car is year old and seen lots of hard braking on street (aggressive driver) and 15 or so autox. Think Im going to use Valvoline Synpower DOT 4. Should be good to go for a while after that.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:29 PM
.RJ

replace the rotors. NAPA sells OE replacements fairly cheap. Valvoline synpower is fine....

get a rule book - all the answers will be in there. Suspension is pretty much in the same subset of SP. Springs, shocks, sway bars, end links, bushings, are all free (you can do whatever you want with them). Things that must remain stock: no subframe connectors, control arms, and suspension geometry must remain stock - i.e. all suspension parts must bolt to their original locations, and you cant do tricks like swapping upper control arms to gain caster.

I've seen GSR's run with a good coil over and sway bar setup, and they can be quite fast, if driven well. Since wheels/tires are free as well, you could run a 13x9 wheel with 225 width hoosiers.... Basically a DSP setup with 20 extra HP.

Ryan
Old 03-19-2002, 08:01 PM

How much are rotors from napa? I tihnk turning them cost $20. I thought I read in the past they are like $35 each.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my Brembo front rotors from Colletti Motorsports (www.collettimotorsports.com) for $28 each + $10 shipping each (I think that's right)
Old 03-19-2002, 08:34 PM
.RJ

Also if you want to turn the rotors the best thing to do is take them off the vehicle and take them to machine shop/midas/etc for $10-12 each. However, this leaves the car on jackstands for a day or two... best to buy a new set, and keep the old set around (turn 'em) and use them as spares or rotors for track pads

Ryan

How much are rotors from napa? I tihnk turning them cost $20. I thought I read in the past they are like $35 each.