Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

wetsand after fresh paint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wetsanding correctly?

I recently just got my 97 SH painted and I wanted to wetsand my whole car as there is some orange peel in some parts.

Ok I just read the above posting on how to. One question I have is after a car has been painted how long should I hate to start wetsanding it? And should I wetsand by hand? And how do you know if youve wetsanded enough in on area?

After I wetsand: Do I wash the whole car down? and then use a buffer with polishing compound?

Sorry I am new to all this. Any info would be great.

Modified by Inextricabledrvr at 11:13 AM 10/17/2007
Old 10-17-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: wetsanding correctly? (Inextricabledrvr)

One question I have is after a car has been painted how long should I hate to start wetsanding it?
If it was sprayed in a bake booth and was baked for a full cycle, you should be able to start wetsanding a half hour to an hour after it's pulled out. If not, I would wait a few days, maybe a week to be safe.

And should I wetsand by hand?
Yes, with a sanding block.

And how do you know if youve wetsanded enough in on area?
Depends on what your intentions are. Do you want the clear flat like a show car, or do you just want to knock down some orange peel? If you want it flat you sand it till there is no orange peel, if you want to knock down the orange peel sand it till your happy with the texture.

Do I wash the whole car down?
Sure, if you want.

then use a buffer with polishing compound?
You'll want to use a rubbing compound first, detailers I'm sure will chime in with their method, so I won't even get into it...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wetsanding correctly? (WihaSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WihaSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One question I have is after a car has been painted how long should I hate to start wetsanding it?
If it was sprayed in a bake booth and was baked for a full cycle, you should be able to start wetsanding a half hour to an hour after it's pulled out. If not, I would wait a few days, maybe a week to be safe.

And should I wetsand by hand?
Yes, with a sanding block.

And how do you know if youve wetsanded enough in on area?
Depends on what your intentions are. Do you want the clear flat like a show car, or do you just want to knock down some orange peel? If you want it flat you sand it till there is no orange peel, if you want to knock down the orange peel sand it till your happy with the texture.

Do I wash the whole car down?
Sure, if you want.

You'll want to use a rubbing compound first, detailers I'm sure will chime in with
their method, so I won't even get into it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn I feel like a fool...Thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Inextricabledrvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn I feel like a fool...Thanks! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do you feel like a fool lol, you want to do it right don't you? Better to ask and know ahead of time before jumping into it unsure.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll want to use a rubbing compound first, detailers I'm sure will chime in with
their method, so I won't even get into it...

So would you recommend using the rubbing compound first with the buffer? and then the polishing compund afterwards?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Inextricabledrvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So would you recommend using the rubbing compound first with the buffer? and then the polishing compund afterwards?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I always did my buffing like this, and this is my method and I've been herassed by detailers on here for stating it...but w/e, it's my method and it worked for me. You need a buffer of course, a white foam pad, 2 black foam pads, 3M water based rubbing compound, 3M finishing glaze.

Steps:
1. Start out with white foam pad and rubbing compound
2. When you have a shine back on your clear and no sand scratches switch to a black foam pad and the same rubbing compound. You'll be taking it from an abrasive pad down to a less abrasive pad, but using the same rubbing compound.
3. When there are virtually no swirl marks (if you do it right there won't be any, takes some buffing technique) switch to a new black foam pad and the finishing glaze. Go over the panels till there are absolutely no swirls, and you have a nice shine.

This method always worked for me, I'm very **** about the finished product and doing it like this always came out nice. You just have to take your time. Ok detailers, fire away!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man I really appreciate the the input. Im going to get started after I get out of class today.

Thanks again WihaSi
Old 10-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another crucial question...Im not sure what it means to "not buff around the edges."

As for the buffer speed...what should it be at? The one I have has speeds of 1K-3K RPMS. And is there a particular technique as in how do I position the buffer on the body?

Im assuming that I should just buff on the flat surfaces and then buff by hand around the edges? Is that right? I dont want to burn through the clear.

Thanks again I really appreciate it
Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 PM

don't buff around edges because if you aren't careful , the buffer and pad would burn through the paint.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wetsanding correctly? (bobyahead)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bobyahead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't buff around edges because if you aren't careful , the buffer and pad would burn through the paint.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So what do I do about buffing on the edges? by hand?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:45 AM

You can get the buffer pretty close to the edge, you just don't want to be buffing on the edge. Put a line of masking tape along the edge, that way you'll know where to stop, and it'll protect the edges a bit. As for buffer speed I usually keep it around 1200-1400 RPM.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WihaSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can get the buffer pretty close to the edge, you just don't want to be buffing on the edge. Put a line of masking tape along the edge, that way you'll know where to stop, and it'll protect the edges a bit. As for buffer speed I usually keep it around 1200-1400 RPM.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks