Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Surface Rust on Underside

Old 06-08-2018, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (THREAD FIXED) Surface Rust on Frame

So this is the rear impact bar on my 1995 Civic Sedan. It is beginning to show some surface rust and I want to get rid of it or at least prevent it from spreading. It just started this year when I brought it from Arizona where it rarely saw snow and salt to disgusting Northern Illinois where in just one winter, it has gone from completely rust free to what you see in the picture. What do you all suggest that I do. Will this continue to spread or should I just leave it?
This is the rear impact bar on my 1995 Civic.

Last edited by settimi; 06-13-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Surface Rust on Underside

I use and like
CorrosionX CorrosionX
for this. You can get it in spray cans, bottles, or by the gallon, and it does a good job of slowing that type rot. I was pretty diligent with in on my '04 CRV, and there was no comparison rust-wise between that an my GF's '05 Element.

It stays wet, and will creep across metal surfaces and into crevices, which is good. It does attract dirt, so if you want the areas you want to protect to remain clean there may be better choices.

My EP3 came out of Florida and is like-new on the underside. I've already got CorrosionX on all the joints like the one you've shown in an effort to prevent that type rot from moving too quickly. It'll win eventually of course; rust never sleeps.