Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Single stage paint questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single stage paint questions

My project car will getting paint in the upcoming months and I will probably use single stage PPG paint. See below.

1) Can you use metallic colors when using single stage paint? I have heard yes and no.

2) Since the cars interior will be getting painted as well, how durable is single stage paint? I am sure it is a matter of surface prep but I want to make sure.

3) My buddy pretty much exclusively uses PPG paint. If you have used their single stage paint how do you like it?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (racebucket_eg)

1.) I recently got my car painted and used a ss with 2 coats of clear and it looks great. (Arctic metallic silver off a porsche boxster)

People will tell you to do base coat/clear coat instead because it is "suppose" to be better, but it is all preference.

I can show you pics of my car, but im not sure how to put it on here.

Good luck
Old 10-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Single stage paint questions (Inextricabledrvr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Inextricabledrvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.) I recently got my car painted and used a ss with 2 coats of clear and it looks great. (Arctic metallic silver off a porsche boxster)

People will tell you to do base coat/clear coat instead because it is "suppose" to be better, but it is all preference.

I can show you pics of my car, but im not sure how to put it on here.

Good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

QUE?

you did a single stage with seperate clearcoat? that's not very "single stage" at all.

solid color works much better with SS, its not that much more work consider the end result.

go bc/cc
Old 10-29-2007, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (iam7head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iam7head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

go bc/cc</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why? Is it mainly for appearence?

I want my car to look good <U>but</U> it will not be a show car by any means. Also another reason I want to go ss is the friend who will be painting my car has done bc/cc very few times and is more comfortable with ss.

What are pros and cons of ss?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else have any experience with single stage paint?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I spray SS at work almosat 70% of the time. Its pretty easy to lay down but when you get into some metallic colors, it get tricky laying them down right. As far as durabilty, as long as you take care of the paint and prep the car good, it should last a long time.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (SneezinCD5)

Good to hear. I am probably going with Grand Prix white which I believe to be non-metallic.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SneezinCD5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I spray SS at work almosat 70% of the time. Its pretty easy to lay down but when you get into some metallic colors, it get tricky laying them down right. As far as durabilty, as long as you take care of the paint and prep the car good, it should last a long time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ss metallics are hard to spray out evenly they tend to 'stand up'

you will have a more consistent result with bc/cc for metallics. also, if changing parts or replacing parts you can blend bc/cc to have a good match.

i personally don't use ss that much...maybe 10% of the time, usually just for old white, red cars or work trucks.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SneezinCD5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> As far as durabilty, as long as you take care of the paint and prep the car good, it should last a long time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Last a long time compared to what? I wouldn't go with ss if i was worried about durability. Don't expect 3 years from a ss paint job because there are good chances you will be disappointed.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (randomae)

i had my first car given a ss paint job. but imo durability isn't nearly as good as bc/cc. i took care of my paint, eventually it started peeling. i'm not sure if that was on the painter or the ss paint or me. but i won't be painting my cars ss any more.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (EcivicG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EcivicG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had my first car given a ss paint job. but imo durability isn't nearly as good as bc/cc. i took care of my paint, eventually it started peeling. i'm not sure if that was on the painter or the ss paint or me. but i won't be painting my cars ss any more.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by randomae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had a ss done on my car a couple yrs ago and my front bumper and hood were chipping and peeling off like crazy.

bc/cc
Old 10-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Single stage paint questions (Inextricabledrvr)

i sprayed single stage on my hood and roof, since the whole car had nice paint except for the top panels. this is a metallic.

oxidized

single stage flint black

Old 10-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (Fobtions)

wow dude
Old 10-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SS looks good for about six months then it starts to chip off...depending on what condition you put it through..
Old 11-01-2007, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (OUtlAWdb8)

it won't chip off if it is a quality single stage and the prep work was done properly.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (SockEG6)

what are the price difference compared to a bc/cc? will ss look nice for a solid burgandy color? someone lmk thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (SockEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SockEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it won't chip off if it is a quality single stage and the prep work was done properly.</TD></TR></TABLE>this is true, and also if you want to run a single stage look into dupont's IMRON line. its an industrial paint system. you can use it as a single stage or it can be cleared. i painted a few tractors and payloadres with it, along with an s10, and all the of them are holding up GREAT to everyday abuse. you can pour gas on it, oil, antifreeze etc. and it wont bubble up and come off. its really great stuff, you can get a gallon for around 100 or so
Old 11-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (kiddcarbuff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kiddcarbuff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is true, and also if you want to run a single stage look into dupont's IMRON line. its an industrial paint system. you can use it as a single stage or it can be cleared. i painted a few tractors and payloadres with it, along with an s10, and all the of them are holding up GREAT to everyday abuse. you can pour gas on it, oil, antifreeze etc. and it wont bubble up and come off. its really great stuff, you can get a gallon for around 100 or so</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow thats cheap. i gotta look into that but dont kno any dupont dealers around. any good ss from ppg?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (kiddcarbuff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kiddcarbuff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is true, and also if you want to run a single stage look into dupont's IMRON line. its an industrial paint system. you can use it as a single stage or it can be cleared. i painted a few tractors and payloadres with it, along with an s10, and all the of them are holding up GREAT to everyday abuse. you can pour gas on it, oil, antifreeze etc. and it wont bubble up and come off. its really great stuff, you can get a gallon for around 100 or so</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think he wants his car to look industrial. basically the difference between the two is quality.

If your car sucks and you don't mind the paint sucking go with ss. sell it quick though otherwise it won't be worth your money to ss it because you will be right back where you started soon enough.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single stage paint questions (ek4shizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek4shizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow that's cheap. i gotta look into that but don't kno any dupont dealers around. any good ss from ppg?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good and Single stage are antonyms
Quality and Single stage are antonyms
Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by randomae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Quality and Single stage are antonyms</TD></TR></TABLE>

You knowing what you are talking about is an antonym.

There are strengths and weaknesses between the two paints.

single stage gets a bad rep because of the maaco, 1 day, earl scheib jobs that everyone and their mom gets on their shitbox taurus. Yes they flake, fade, oxidize within a year.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:19 AM
dut
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fobtions &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
single stage gets a bad rep because of the maaco, 1 day, earl scheib jobs that everyone and their mom gets on their shitbox taurus. Yes they flake, fade, oxidize within a year.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just leave it in the garage and don't drive it, good to go.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fobtions &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You knowing what you are talking about is an antonym.

There are strengths and weaknesses between the two paints.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't be serious. You think that single stage can hold up to base coat clear coat?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by randomae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can't be serious. You think that single stage can hold up to base coat clear coat? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Quality and Single stage are antonyms</TD></TR></TABLE>

im saying that you were wrong when you said this.

cause there are good quality single stage jobs.

never did i say that 1 is stonger then the other.

Quick Reply: Single stage paint questions