Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Need advice: How to "form" a body line/crease. I'm failing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need advice: How to "form" a body line/crease. I'm failing...

Here's what I"m workin on...

Since those pis, I"ve layed bondo on it.. sanded it down.. wasn't happy with it, so I sanded it down again and I"m slightly happier, but that body line is wavy.

I'm doin the best I can and want to do it myself, but I realize my limitations and my expertise in this area is rather limited.

What do I need to do?

Do I lay down some bodo over a samll area, build the line up and then lay down some more.. build it up (sanding it of course) untill I have it done the whole way?

Help me out!

I"ll try to get an updated pic tonight so you can see where I am in the process.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need advice: How to "form" a body line/crease. I'm failing... (mac_24_seven)

1 1/2" tape and a longboard are you friends!!

lay down a piece of tape underneath your body line. the top edge of your tape will be the bottom edge of your body work. do your mudwork on the top as if the bottom doesn't even need anything done. smooth it out with your spreader, and get it looking decent. before your filler hardens, tape the tape off. pull the tape away at a sharp angle so it cuts the edge.

when you pull the tape away.. guess what's left? a straight body line...

use a longboard to sand so that it doesn't get wavy. never use just your fingers. you'll get waves for sure. when you're done with the top, do the same thing with the bottom and your body line should be nice and straight
Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Need advice: How to "form" a body line/crease. I'm failing... (DC2.2_GSR)

Please tell me you pulled out those dents before you layed filler on that. And yes tape is the way to go for doing body lines. Just like DC2.2_GSR has shown you.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need advice: How to "form" a body line/crease. I'm failing... (slow_srt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow_srt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please tell me you pulled out those dents before you layed filler on that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no..... I have no tools to do that....
Old 06-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need advice: How to "form" a body line/crease. I'm failing... (mac_24_seven)

if you don't have all the tools and if you're not that worried about it, it shouldn;t be too bad to have some filler built up right there, just not regular poly filler (bondo). get a fiberglass filler for that. if you only have access to bondo products they have some of that too. rough up the surface real well with a large grit and spread the fiberglass filler like you were doing the repair with that stuff only. let it harden and do your block sanding with a large grit (like 80 grit). work on getting the filler feathered out and flat. when you're happy with the general shape, go back and spread your regular filler on top. that will be your finishing step before primer.

it's not ideal to have thick layers built up like that, usually you want to get the metal as straight as possible first. at least with the fiberglass filler underneath it will be done right, it will have a strong bond.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need advice: How to "form" a body line/crease. I'm failing... (DC2.2_GSR)

Well, at least now I have a wobble sander I can use.... I'll sand it down, see how much of the dents I can take out.. and do as suggested and lay fibgerglass filler onit first.. I want this paintjob tolast me a while, I don't plan on selling the car anytime soon.

At least with this stuff you can just sand it down and start all over if you're not happy with it

Old 06-12-2008, 03:35 PM

that one dent u might wanna pull out its a lil deep to lay filler....what brand of filler are u using??i found evercoat to be one of the better to play with