Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Horrible Rust, Repairing, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Rust, Repairing, is it worth it?

Ok i have typical quarter panel rust like most Hondas here in the Midwest, especially in Wisconsin, the snow and the salt. But mine is horrible to a degree where it puts me down, now i picked up the shell cheap, Rust got worse and worse, and i want to repair it.

I order repair panels and the whole rocker for the bottom i need more panels as well.
The question is, should i fix it?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Horrible Rust, Repairing, is it worth it?

Oh hell no.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can find a clean shell, it'd be less work to just combine the two to create a new, rust-free car. Then get it rustproofed.

In my circles we call rust in those spots Honda cancer, because Hondas always start rotting there.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like fun to me LOL. Seriously though, if it's a car you don't necessarily care too much about (like a winter beater) I'd say go for it. If it's going to be a car you intend to keep for a long time and use day to day, it might be worth it to look for a cleaner body to start with. That's my input anyway.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
Looks like fun to me LOL. Seriously though, if it's a car you don't necessarily care too much about (like a winter beater) I'd say go for it. If it's going to be a car you intend to keep for a long time and use day to day, it might be worth it to look for a cleaner body to start with. That's my input anyway.
Well I want to kinda use it as a learning stepping stone, something new, but i might just wanna get rid of it.

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy668
If you can find a clean shell, it'd be less work to just combine the two to create a new, rust-free car. Then get it rustproofed.

In my circles we call rust in those spots Honda cancer, because Hondas always start rotting there.
That'd be nice if all the rust free shells around here weren't almost 2500-3000 dollars.

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Oh hell no.
Kinda thought the same.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Oh hell no.
Seconded.

Some of that looks like frame rust waiting to be uncovered.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're paying someone to do the work, hell no. If you're doing it yourself, probably still no. My Si is actually worse than that. But I did fix one side so it looks half decent. It's a lot of work, and it will pop back through within a year. If it was me I'd probably just buy something rust free and start over.

Btw you can use the rear doors from a '92 - '95 sedan to make the bottom of the quarters.

My Si where I fixed it, used the bottom of a door skin as described above to make the quarter from the side molding down along with a new wheel arch.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 AM
I requested a short story for a title.

wow thats pretty extensive, mine rust is starting to get just a little worse. ive been trying to keep that salt off of it like crazy but the roads are covered
Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Around here we find shells 500-1000 all day long so if you can find a shell cheaper than repairing it then why wouldn't you? I paid $1,000 for a stock 94 vx (complete car) with a rear qtr. than needed replaced and clear coat pealing.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

nope...

as mentioned- its called honda cancer for a reason.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For those prices you could fly down to someplace in Georgia, take a short vacation, then drive your donor car back.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Seagull Management

Btw, the doors are probably bad too. Pull the rubber back around the mirrors, chances are there will be very little underneath.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

If you do it yourself, then I say yes. Save up for some tools and have at it. Nothing is impossible. Be prepared to park it for a while, though.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am guessing that rubber piece was the cause of this...
Old 02-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by bk7794
No. Salt was the cause of this. The whole point of that piece of rubber everyone seems to hate is to keep the paint from chipping and exposing the bare metal so it doesn't rust. It can trap salt but this sort of thing is inevitable either way.

In any case it looks bad, and it's only going to look worse the further into it you go.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
Around here we find shells 500-1000 all day long so if you can find a shell cheaper than repairing it then why wouldn't you? I paid $1,000 for a stock 94 vx (complete car) with a rear qtr. than needed replaced and clear coat pealing.
Wish i had the time to drive down there and pick one up. Maybe next year.

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Btw, the doors are probably bad too. Pull the rubber back around the mirrors, chances are there will be very little underneath.
There's no rust anywhere on the car except in the pictures, surprisingly.

Originally Posted by deschlong
If you do it yourself, then I say yes. Save up for some tools and have at it. Nothing is impossible. Be prepared to park it for a while, though.
I have the tools, it's just i don't feel i have the guts to take on this challenge. But i want too.

The car was around here, Dealership that it came from was here in Milwaukee.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No. Salt was the cause of this. The whole point of that piece of rubber everyone seems to hate is to keep the paint from chipping and exposing the bare metal so it doesn't rust. It can trap salt but this sort of thing is inevitable either way.

In any case it looks bad, and it's only going to look worse the further into it you go.
But if you remove it and clean really well around there and replace the rubber piece with some undercoating then it usually solves most of these problems I heard.

How can you prevent this kind of rust?

Also where is that first pic taken on the car?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Seagull Management

But if you remove it and clean really well around there and replace the rubber piece with some undercoating then it usually solves most of these problems I heard.
It helps a lot, but if you have salt you will have rust.

How can you prevent this kind of rust?
Lots and lots of undercoating, the oil based stuff, not that black tar crap (the tar stuff is good when the car is brand new, but if you put it on later it will trap any existing rust underneath it)

Also where is that first pic taken on the car?
Up around the windshield. That black thing on the left is the antenna block off plate. Incidentally that spot needs to be sandblasted.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It helps a lot, but if you have salt you will have rust.

Lots and lots of undercoating, the oil based stuff, not that black tar crap (the tar stuff is good when the car is brand new, but if you put it on later it will trap any existing rust underneath it)

Up around the windshield. That black thing on the left is the antenna block off plate. Incidentally that spot needs to be sandblasted.
Ouch, I thought that was the windshield...that is bad. Good thing I don't get too much lake effect snow here in CT..So that means less salt on the roads...

I guess also you could wash it...every 3 months or so...and wax ever 6months. I mean its inevitably going to happen. But if you take care of it and keep up with waxing and washing it.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Seagull Management

I guess also you could wash it...every 3 months or so...and wax ever 6months. I mean its inevitably going to happen. But if you take care of it and keep up with waxing and washing it.
Generally speaking when I wash my car in the winter, it looks almost as bad by the time I get back from the car wash 10 minutes away. Needless to say I almost never wash my car in the winter. Actually I almost never wash my car at all.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a unitized structure. Pillars and rockers are multiple layers with specific locations for sectioning procedures. The cancer you see on the outside most defiantly spread to the inner more important panels. The quarter is also not just a quarter, that entire inner wheel house is rotting. Windshields are STRUCTURAL, you can't even paint the pinch weld flange where the windshield mates with some mfgs, let alone see rust forming around your windshield.
Scrap the car, the only way to fix that is the right way....which would be getting a entire uniside on both sides basically, and everything else.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by swappedcx
This is a unitized structure. Pillars and rockers are multiple layers with specific locations for sectioning procedures. The cancer you see on the outside most defiantly spread to the inner more important panels. The quarter is also not just a quarter, that entire inner wheel house is rotting. Windshields are STRUCTURAL, you can't even paint the pinch weld flange where the windshield mates with some mfgs, let alone see rust forming around your windshield.
Scrap the car, the only way to fix that is the right way....which would be getting a entire uniside on both sides basically, and everything else.
I know what you mean and I've considered scraping it. The cancer will spread, the wheel wells are rusted from the inside. I'm sure i can do the job right there. The roof is the only thing i see as a challenge to fix because it's right on the corner of the windshield. Only option i see is cutting it and repairing with metal, risking that it will leak.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That rear quarter rust is probably fixable...I have seem MUCH worse. The rot on the roof is what I'd be worried about.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would fix it, making something look good at the end is where you'll pat yourself on the back. Just spray oil on in the inner panels and under coat it while keeping grease everywhere will keep the rust from growing.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Defiantly fixable, only if you are ok with parking it for a little bit. beggars cant be choosers up here in Wisconsin.

I got lucky and found a rust free hatch in neenah.

Quick Reply: Horrible Rust, Repairing, is it worth it?