Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Is "J 17X71/2J" a 7 inch rim?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is "J 17X71/2J" a 7 inch rim?

Is "J 17X71/2J" a 7 inch rim? My dealer said is was. Related to a post I made earlier I returned to my Honda dealer who just installed new winter steel wheels with J 17X71/2J stamped on the outer lip of the rim exactly as I typed it here. I told him the manufacture calls for 7 inch rims on my 2015 CRV and these look like 7.5 inch rims. He assured me these are the correct 7 inch rims and the 1/2 is relating to something to do with inside lip size? I'm concerned that if I bend a rim by hitting a pothole and bring it to a garage for replacement they will put the specified 7 inch rim on my CRV causing me to have three 7.5 rims and one 7 inch rims. We have a lot of potholes where I live in Canada and bent rims are common. I am also concerned that if these rims are in fact 7.5nch rims on how that would effect the electronic wheel alignment the dealer did since he programs in the year/make of vehicle to get the correct angles and stuff.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: Is "J 17X71/2J" a 7 inch rim?

I think it is a 7 inch rim

Old 01-21-2021, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your reply. Your graphic states the rim is suppose to be 7Jx17. The dealer installed a 17X71/2J on my vehicle. to be clear are you saying that 17X71/2J is also 7 inch rim? If so then what does the 1/2 signify?
Old 01-21-2021, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't say for sure, but I would suspect the 71/2 would probably point to it being a 7 1/2" wide wheel. This is something you can measure and verify. If you take a tape measure and send it through the wheel spokes, hooking it around the inside lip of the wheel and read the width of the rim, it may not be fully as wide as the point where the tire meets the rim (the point where the true measurement is made), but if it's close to 7 1/2" you can bet that the rim is a 7 1/2" rim. If it's less than 7" then the rim is probably a 7" wide rim.

The rim width won't affect your alignment. All wheels that are made properly are made with the surface that mates with the hub flange perpendicular to the ground. If this were out of true, you'd have a serious vibration. In the mid 00's I worked at a Buick/GMC dealer, and around that time people were into putting giant, stupid, expensive rims on their Suburbans. When we'd have to align them, we'd throw a set of factory wheels on to keep from potentially scratching a very expensive rim, and then after the alignment we'd throw the owner's wheels back on. As long as your tire pressures were correct and consistent when the alignment was done (and correct and consistent with the owner's wheels back on) the rims on the vehicle won't affect the adjustable measurements (camber or toe) and they won't affect caster either (though you wouldn't adjust that during an alignment). Differently sized wheels may affect things like scrub radius or other steering angles, but that goes beyond a typical alignment.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ThisIsMatt
I can't say for sure, but I would suspect the 71/2 would probably point to it being a 7 1/2" wide wheel. This is something you can measure and verify. If you take a tape measure and send it through the wheel spokes, hooking it around the inside lip of the wheel and read the width of the rim, it may not be fully as wide as the point where the tire meets the rim (the point where the true measurement is made), but if it's close to 7 1/2" you can bet that the rim is a 7 1/2" rim. If it's less than 7" then the rim is probably a 7" wide rim.

The rim width won't affect your alignment. All wheels that are made properly are made with the surface that mates with the hub flange perpendicular to the ground. If this were out of true, you'd have a serious vibration. In the mid 00's I worked at a Buick/GMC dealer, and around that time people were into putting giant, stupid, expensive rims on their Suburbans. When we'd have to align them, we'd throw a set of factory wheels on to keep from potentially scratching a very expensive rim, and then after the alignment we'd throw the owner's wheels back on. As long as your tire pressures were correct and consistent when the alignment was done (and correct and consistent with the owner's wheels back on) the rims on the vehicle won't affect the adjustable measurements (camber or toe) and they won't affect caster either (though you wouldn't adjust that during an alignment). Differently sized wheels may affect things like scrub radius or other steering angles, but that goes beyond a typical alignment.
Perfect. It was the alignment I was most concerned about since these machines are all computerized now. I also just got an email from the dealer ( whom I emailed with my concerns again before completing the Honda Survey) and they further explained that Honda doesn't have 17X7 rims listed anymore and that the rim is in fact a 17X7.5 inch rim (in contradiction of what they originally told me). They confirmed my size tire fits on that rim and that I won't have any issues with the fitment on my 2017 CRV so I consider this case closed! What really threw me off was when the dealer insisted it was a 7 inch rim when it wasn't and that made me think these guys don't know what they are doing so honesty in this case would have went a long way. Thanks for the info on the alignment.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Happy to help! Keep rollin, keep smilin!