Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2000 Honda Odyssey Linear Solenoid issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Honda Odyssey Linear Solenoid issues

To my understanding as a new member, I am allowed to post in the Honda/Accura Technical section. If I am wrong, please excuse my mistake.

My issue is this. About two weeks ago while returning from a trip to see my brother in the hospital, the TCS or TCC light came on along with the "Check Engine" light. When we arrived home I checked to see if there was any OBD Codes to see what the problem could be. Of course, the DTC was a P0740, Malfunction of the TCC. From reviewing YouTube information, I was told that this DTC code dealt with the Linear Solenoid, so I purchased a new (or rebuilt) one.

When I removed the existing Linear Solenoid, I tested the resistance of the solenoids (which was within the tolerance range of 7-ohms). I then applied 12-v to the terminals to determine whether or not the solenoids were good.
I heard and witnessed the shaft moving as it should have.
None the less, I still replaced the Linear Solenoid since I had a new one on-hand anyway. I checked everything before installing the new Solenoid, replaced all the items I had removed to get to the solenoid and took the vehicle for a TEST drive. There was a sharp abrupt shift from Park to Reverse. There was also a sharp shift from First to Second. Otherwise, all else was fine except when I came to a stop which resulted in an abrupt down shift.
Since replacing the Linear solenoid didn't resolve my problem, I decided to remove the solenoid again to see if there were any specific issues I missed. Regrettably, I had inadvertently placed (2) "O"-rings in the Linear Solenoid housing on the 8mmx26mm tube. Removing the extra "O"-ring, I happen to notice that the 3 tubes each had a small screen inserted on one end which I did not see before. The reason I mention this is that one
the first tube location (8mmx18mm) the screen was inserted downward into the port bore. The other two tubes, the screens were at the upper end. Which direction should the screens be pointing, up or down?

I also noticed that inserting these tubes into their perspective ports was very difficult, especially if the end with the screen is inserted first. I also noticed these tubes had very little slop (movement). Shouldn't these tubes at least have some movement where they can easily spin around without having to use tweezers or other devices to move them or pull them out?