Northwest Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming

Random honda driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Random honda driver

Howdy Howdy!

so I'm at work the other day and notice this person getting into their 97-99 civic si coupe lowered, and I realize he fly's by me sounds like somethings done to the internals of the car. the next day at work I ask him whats done to the car he replies "Lots of stuff, Intake, exhaust, vtec timer................................."

what the hell is a vtec timer?

you think you run into people who know things about cars and then they say something like vtec timer...........

I'm wondering if its one of those things that just allows vtec to engage on specific times of the day according to tidal shifts and moon phase?..............

..... SIGH.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Random honda driver

Im pretty sure by vtec timer he means like...controller. like you can have vtec crack whenever you push the button.
Unless that means something entirely different, then. I have no clue.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heya

yeah I know what he meant

Its just funny I never heard anyone screw it up like that before.. I'm pretty sure the correct terminology is "Vtec Controller". Devices like that honestly should be destroyed along with the Safc...

By the way invest in Neptune!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by likwidchz
Heya

Its just funny I never heard anyone screw it up like that before.. I'm pretty sure the correct terminology is "Vtec Controller". Devices like that honestly should be destroyed along with the Safc...

As much as I hate the VAFC's, they can be a decent tuning tool for near stock Honda's. I'd never recommend one though.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have and have known quite a bit of people who have ran "vafc hack" with little to no issues, just need the know how, a wideband, and datalog from moates to do it correctly.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I like the vfac too... when all the wires except the map sensor wires are connected :0 Its a neat looking device "electronically" speaking....

honestly everyone has to start somewhere with their car knowledge... I wonder if I bought a vtec timer if I could use it to wake me up in the morning at 5:45 ??

--Aaron
Old 09-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Howdy Howdy!

so I'm at work the other day and notice this person getting into their 97-99 civic si coupe lowered, and I realize he fly's by me sounds like somethings done to the internals of the car. the next day at work I ask him whats done to the car he replies "Lots of stuff, Intake, exhaust, vtec timer................................."

you think you run into people who know things about cars and then they say something like vtec timer...........

..... SIGH.
It's 99-00 civic si ...... SIGH.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heya

HAHAHA I want a JDM clock!! Thats what this makes me think of.. As for the VTEC controller I have never used one so I can't say anything about it. Personally I would rather have my ECU tuned properly :-)
Old 09-25-2011, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also speaking of Si, I would like to build one, so if anyone has a complete shell for sale without the engine in the state of OREGON dont hesitate to PM me.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EKcpe00
It's 99-00 civic si ...... SIGH.
Haha you don't know what I saw! dont gimme ****.

Reason I cant identify these year of cars is due to the fact I don't own one I'm not too interested in building obd2 cars cause I hate all the emissions crap, even though they are in some aspects nicer then the older stuff

heh not unless they make some sort of electronic obd2 simulator which would rock in numerous ways.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha you don't know what I saw! dont gimme ****.

Reason I cant identify these year of cars is due to the fact I don't own one I'm not too interested in building obd2 cars cause I hate all the emissions crap, even though they are in some aspects nicer then the older stuff

heh not unless they make some sort of electronic obd2 simulator which would rock in numerous ways.
For emissions? You mean like cel lights for not having an O2 sensor? Just get an O2 simulator and you're good to go.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00blkSi
I have and have known quite a bit of people who have ran "vafc hack" with little to no issues, just need the know how, a wideband, and datalog from moates to do it correctly.
It's actually more complex than that. With every change in fuel, the timing will change as well. This is why I'd never recommend one. But what do I know, I've only used S300 for my H22 Prelude and now the AEM EMS for the AP1. I don't **** around when it comes to tuning
Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There could be an entire discussion why a vfac hack is ****, I think the only way to really understand the hack is to watch some software like Neptune do real time trace on a cell then explain how a vfac "moves this point" and access a different part of the map.

Honestly as for the obd2 stuff, I don't believe there is anyway to simulate the obd2 connector and all its values that it spits out. However either running a 2nd ecu with a simulated engine on the other end of it........ that would probably work if you could connect up an fpga and simulated engine sensors....would be quite an experiment!

Anyway I guess I would have to overlay obd1 sensors with obd2 sensors and figure out the difference, obd2 has a lot more error codes it can throw to have cars fail emissions. I believe one of the attendants in oregon informed me that any obd2 cel would cause instant fail however a cel on an obd1 car wouldn't mean instant emissions fail.

on an obd2 car I could potentially see someone running a secondary o2 simulator or running an adapter on the car that pulls the 2nd o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream to make the sensor read a leaner A/F ratio.... Thinking outside the box this might potentially cause the LTFT and STFT valves to drift quite a bit... but then again I dont know if the 2nd o2 sensor is used this way or if its just the primary sensor that causes these values to drift.

obd2 stuff is very cool Its a shame that those ecus haven't been hacked yet for Neptune RTP.. I guess that's why they have AEM..... that ecu is pretty advanced, I saw some data pulled from it via usb and it was updating atleast 6-8 times a second... was really slick.

--Aaron
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Howdy Howdy!

I'm wondering if its one of those things that just allows vtec to engage on specific times of the day according to tidal shifts and moon phase?..............

..... SIGH.

MADE my day! hahahaha
Old 09-30-2011, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, i wish i could turn back time to ten years ago...
Old 09-30-2011, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha why? so we can all tune with safc's and vtec timers? and have engine bays filled with this stuff.

Its actually kind of sad, i was at IFO recently and I saw a couple cars with this stuff still on it.
.. some people just don't understand what looks nice and what looks 10 years ago.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HdeucedeuceA
As much as I hate the VAFC's, they can be a decent tuning tool for near stock Honda's. I'd never recommend one though.
lol, wow. i had one of these seven years ago. i think its in my garage somewhere. i've heard of people that use them for a gauge now.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Frito
wow, i wish i could turn back time to ten years ago...
Me too, and also to before I read this thread.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jasoncrashtech,

Yeah they are neat little electronic devices... but again only for a gauge.