Notices
Northern California North of Fresno

Police target Street racing spectators

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Police target Street racing spectators

HAYWARD-The city Council is considering making it a punishable offense to be a spectator at illegal street races, with a fine of $1,000 or even jail time for those who gather at and promote the events.

The California Vehicle Code already specifies penalties for drivers in such race, which are known to take place in the commercial and industrial corridors of town and can attract from 10 to 200 cars, said Hayward police Lt. Roger Keener, who drafted the ordinance.

Current law allows police to go after spectators who break the law while leaving the area, but the new ordinance would allow them to pull over anyone suspected of taking part in a street racing event, be it as a driver or spectator.

Keener said Fremont closes streets that are used by street racers during the hours such events usually happen very late at night and early in the morning. But that's not possible in Hayward because big rigs have to stop at businesses in affected areas during those hours.

He said the most popular areas for street racing in Hayward are on Arden Road, Depot Road, San Antonio Street and surrounding corridors.

The ordinance is drafted to be similar to laws used in San Diego County, where they have been successful, Keener said.

In 2008, Hayward police received more than 80 calls complaining of illegal drag races in progress.

Council members unanimously approved of introducing the ordinance on Tuesday. It will go through Advertisement, a public hearing process before final approval, but officials are supportive.

"this is timely, and we need to do it as quickly as possible, "said Councilman Olden Henson.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Police target Street racing spectators

I made this post just to show all of you racers out there that not only your going to get stopped but know all imports are the target. I like to get out of the house at night and just cruse, but now ill be a target of street racing. If you want to go fast, take it to the tracks.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i remember goin out there when i was younger. good times.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea it was fun. But now its not about having fun, its all about running from the cops. IDK i get stopped like every day just because im in a 91 teg, They pop my hood just because i look like a racer. Its all BS
Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

they gotta do something about sideshows too.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its been like that in Stockton so its sucks well its really like that anywhere now in California its funny how the discriminate assuming we ALL race and we are all bad ***'s when they don't know the side of us but then again we all think all cops are dicks
Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They have ben trying there best to keep us off the road for years. If you do the math on it, it all started when every one got together to race there car's. Even then the cops did nothing to stop them, all they did was chase them off. Now your getting the lil "SIDE SHOWING" going on and Want to be lil thugs going out acting big and bad and fighting and killing people about who has the fastest cars. Yes i have ben to the runs but to have fun and meet new friends, not to race. All thou i did go time to time with the cars just to see the race, but it was not like it is now. I think the new law is good in one way but every one knows that its not because they are trying to keep kids safe, people have ben righting the news about how the police have ben stopping and targeting people for there cars and now they are trying to make it our fault. Its just a way for the cops to thug us legally. But the post dos make seance if you do read it. All races are in a industrial area, if you dont race y the hell are you in a industrial area? Dont be in a place where racing takes place. But just driving on the freeway or a street at all is what is scaring me. What if im driving home? what if im driving to get something to eat? Thats what they need to look in to before they pas this law.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not from hayward but this ordinace affects all import enthusiasts. i dont really see this as cracking down or stopping illegal street racing. i just see it as their excuse to make money (quota) for the city because it's the easiest way to make money. you simply pull over a "suspected" car and check it out and start writing tickets left and right. the city makes an easy $500-1000 per car in just a few minutes. i see it more of detering illegal street racing. but all in all, do you really think that they care about the community? they care more about making money and keeping their jobs. they make so much money coming up with these ridiculous bills and ordinances. they dont want to lose their good paying jobs. thats about it. i've personally been to many races, and i've never even heard of any crashes or death caused from street racing in those races and i've been in the scene for over 5 years now. the death numbers are over-rated. and what about all those domestics? a teenager raced his daddy's mustang and crashes and killed himself in elk grove 2 years back. the police starts cracking down on import in the coming months. it's all messed up. i think it's time for the import community to band together and create our own ordinance. im not a political scientist, but im pretty sure anyone can draft and present an ordinance to the city council of their city. how about a "safe night" where any group of cars can gather safely anywhere in their city without being hassled by the police? just a thought. a good example would be the motorcycle community. they band together every weekend without any problem. we all need that kind of respect from the police and community. we should all look into how they are able to band together. i know they drive different vehicle and don't street race, modify their engines, etc. but we all lie in the same category. any thoughts?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by integra_speed
they gotta do something about sideshows too.
They are, it's just that they put them in the category of street racing, which is stupid... just like the many CA laws. ****ing laws aren't made to protect/prevent, more like make money for the state.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d_SUPAl1l
a good example would be the motorcycle community. they band together every weekend without any problem. we all need that kind of respect from the police and community. we should all look into how they are able to band together. i know they drive different vehicle and don't street race, modify their engines, etc. but we all lie in the same category. any thoughts?

I agreed with the statement but lately i have heard and seen a band of cyclist being punk'd around by the police but then again cyclist compared to us Import Enthusiast is like a grape to a lemon. I've been in this whole racing since before I could even drive and there was only one crash I ever heard of and it wasn't even the guy's fault that was at the line it was the on coming truck that didn't stop its like a SIN to drive a import now a days lowered or not
Old 05-14-2009, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=91_LS;38525688]

In 2008, Hayward police received more than 80 calls complaining of illegal drag races in progress.

[QUOTE]

80 calls in 2008? there were 366 days in 2008 (it was a leap year). i wonder how many of those 80 calls were for the same event/race? even if it were for separate nights and events, thats only about 22% of the days in 2008 for hayward if one call was placed for each night for 80 nights. i dont think that should be enough pass this ordinance. im all for cracking down on illegal street racing because some of these kids are just dangerous but there should definitely be an exclusion clause so that only the street racers and spectators are liable. i hate laws, bills, and ordinance that holds a double standard. for example, the hands-free mobile device went into effect a long time ago and i still see police officers using cell phones while driving. it just drives me nuts when there is no one to enforce the enforcers. i see that there is no one to put these people in check. they come up with new ways to dictate the way we have to live our lives, but then there is no one to put boundaries on them. it's a shame when our country is run by these people: he who breaks the law, enforces the law on us.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d_SUPAl1l

i hate laws, bills, and ordinance that holds a double standard. for example, the hands-free mobile device went into effect a long time ago and i still see police officers using cell phones while driving. it just drives me nuts when there is no one to enforce the enforcers. i see that there is no one to put these people in check. they come up with new ways to dictate the way we have to live our lives, but then there is no one to put boundaries on them. it's a shame when our country is run by these people: he who breaks the law, enforces the law on us.
haha i so do agree i see that all the time and im like wtf is that, as if we took a picture and showed it to the governor himself he'll give a damn and do anything about it POLICE = HIGH AND MIGHTY, citizens of the state = effing peasants not right
Old 05-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah. i agree that it's a sin to drive imports nowaday. my friend from fresno told me that just 3 weeks back, the police cracked down on any and all imports. 3 of his friends got state-ref tickets. and some of the cars werent even lowered. they were targeted because they were imports and more likely to have violations such as smog violation and modification. what ever happened to probable cause? they just start pulling people left and right just to check out their cars because they're potential money makers for the city. i only say that because being low, having a loud exhaust, and driving fast are the most noticable way of having a probable cause for the police. and some of the cars ticketed werent even in those categories. all i can advise, is for everyone who drives one of these car, to get smart and educated on these terms so that an ignorant cop can never out-punk you when he pulls you over. just stay legit because 95% of the cops who issue tickets for illegal modications, dont know the least about the modification itself. all they know is that if it's not stock, then it's modify and illegal which means that you're a street racing who races every night LOL. **** do they know about us.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its getting worse by the day.... ive seen so many nice rides getting towed who wernt racing or anything thanks to these street racers. cant drive a honda for **** without the cops harassing or giving 50 million tickets.**** i was also told that the meets we go to are being targeted as well now.. so watch out.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

p.s stockton has new laws in effect as well random days they will be going affter everyone in the tuner comuity and or musscle cars and scrapers what not.. they have been also going affter fixie kids as well ive noticed,,,, anyhow cali is a **** state now. time to get the **** out before its too late
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm.norcal
p.s stockton has new laws in effect as well random days they will be going affter everyone in the tuner comuity and or musscle cars and scrapers what not.. they have been also going affter fixie kids as well ive noticed,,,, anyhow cali is a **** state now. time to get the **** out before its too late
I agree... NV hear i come..
Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They would have to prove that you were there for the street racing as a spectator. Good luck with that. All one has to say is "I heard it was just a car meet. I did not know there would be racing."
Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dogginator
They would have to prove that you were there for the street racing as a spectator. Good luck with that. All one has to say is "I heard it was just a car meet. I did not know there would be racing."
It dont work that way my friend.. There are hella times i see people get ticket for no reason at all. Its your word agents there's, and 99.9% of people that trey fighting it in courts dont win at all. I got a ticket from a cam for running a red, the pic showed me stopped and showed a car going throw it. The judge did not care at all and made me pay the ticket.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's called credibility, knowing the law, and knowing your rights. Of course, CA has been a **** state for quite some time.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

we need a hero
Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by integra_speed
we need a hero
HONDA MAN WHERE ARE YOU???? lol
Old 05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91_LS
I agree... NV hear i come..
dude, the city and this beautiful state of california belongs to the people. if you let these politician and police people run and change your life to the point that you give up and move elsewhere, then you've lost. there has to be loop-holes somewhere. the people run the city and state. there may be politicians behind city hall and the capital but they all represent us. the ordinance against street racers is only possible because there are street racers, and they put innocent people's lives at risk. it's like we put ourselves in this situation.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they dont gotta prove anything under the new california state laws just like what they used to do to the gangsters or people who dressed as if they looked like one the moto was walk like duck you are the duck in there eyes. so pretty much drive an import they got just cause to lable you as one just for rims etc...california has the shittyist laws in the union.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:09 PM

those of us who don't race should be able to get some tag or badge of some sort that allow us to not get ticketed or targeted for BS that we arn't related to

i'm 100% with going against illegal street racing because it ****s the rest of us over who do legit ****
i've watch a few but i could easily do without it as long as following the law doesnt = random bs ticket

i hate being targeted for what OTHER ppl do

- legit track racers
- hobby for fun and to be daily driven like that yeeee alll show SOME go only =P

Last edited by SkaiWu; 05-14-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but as long as tuners are around the cops will continue doing what they do no matter what we do.

Quick Reply: Police target Street racing spectators