Notices
Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin

moving from florida to CHICAGO... info needed..

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving from florida to CHICAGO... info needed..

ok guys, im trying this again, there are plenty of you guys that are from chicago and im looking for insight as to good areas to move to and bad areas to avoid. I plan on attending the art institute of chicago, so any one who knows the area or possibly attends the school, id appreciate if i could get a bit of insight. I'd also love to know about the car scenes out there and what measures id need to take as far as adapting to the climate you guys have in the winter... thanks fo any responses given, and dont forget to rep your city...
Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: moving from florida to CHICAGO... info needed.. (allmotormikey)

everyone has different views on good places to live in chicago. so i will leave that up to them

but i lived in florida for 2 years . and i live in chicago now..and i love it 10x more. and im sure u will to

as for the weather. just get a big jacket. you will be fine lol.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, what are some of the differences from here and there, and what part of florida did you live in?, and what do you do about your car in the winter?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

20 veiwed and 1 replied....
Old 10-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (allmotormikey)

i lived in st.pete..

one thing i noticed...people are 10 time nicer to each other here. because well..it was the south. and we all know how people are in the south..

the one thing i miss was the weather. yes it was nice but then again have 4 seasons is awesome.

i garage my car in the winter now since i got a beater now

but when i used to have to drive it in the winter. i just made sure to wash the car as much as possible to keep the salt off so it didnt rust. never really had an issue.

Modified by Lewy. Dee Ayy at 10:44 AM 10/27/2008
Old 10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're gonna need a huge jacket if you're coming here from florida lol.

I've never lived outside of the suburbs, and I think is really nice here lol. But unless you want to commute to school every day, then you shouldn't live out here.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, just to add on to the weather comments, winter is really cold....fall and spring are seasonable, and we just had a pretty hot summer, so get used to that. As far as driving, the potholes are pretty bad in some places, so be careful if your car is slammed. And if you can get a second car for the winter, i would suggest you do---the salt will take a toll on the car and the snow can pile up pretty good on the side streets enough to rip off a lip or side skirts. As far as neighborhoods, downtown can get expensive to rent, so i would suggest staying on the outskirts of the city, but close enough to the train station somewhere. I live on the southside of chicago, about 10 minutes from midway airport. Just try to do some research
Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slvrlude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slvrlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, just to add on to the weather comments, winter is really cold....fall and spring are seasonable, and we just had a pretty hot summer, so get used to that. As far as driving, the potholes are pretty bad in some places, so be careful if your car is slammed. And if you can get a second car for the winter, i would suggest you do---the salt will take a toll on the car and the snow can pile up pretty good on the side streets enough to rip off a lip or side skirts. As far as neighborhoods, downtown can get expensive to rent, so i would suggest staying on the outskirts of the city, but close enough to the train station somewhere. I live on the southside of chicago, about 10 minutes from midway airport. Just try to do some research</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 stay close to wear you can use the CTA if u are going to go to school less hassel and you get the see parts of the city ridding the CTA u will never see driving

south side
Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ekfreddy)

If you move out here, you will definately enjoy Chicago despite are winter weather. Its an awsome city to be in. Thier is plenty of oppurtunities here. You won't be dissappointed.
As far as the car scene goes....
If you have a nice hooked up car, whether it be rims looks engine turbo ETC. make sure you have a place where you can park your car. UNFORTUNATELY Chicago has a lot of thieves, lots of thieves. Your car, ONLY if its hooked up better have alarm, clubs, gps and anything else you can use to protect your car. Its ridiculous out here. Even in garages cars get stolen. Here's an example.....
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2385196

Be prepared on that end of things.

I'm pretty sure Chicago H-T members can second that.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:51 PM

Default Re: (BigZeke5)

stay away bad time to come getting cold out... but northside wrigely area all you will get is some gay guys and college jocks, if you go to the southside hope you have good insurance and garage.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lewy. Dee Ayy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lewy. Dee Ayy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i lived in st.pete..

one thing i noticed...people are 10 time nicer to each other here. because well..it was the south. and we all know how people are in the south..

the one thing i miss was the weather. yes it was nice but then again have 4 seasons is awesome.

i garage my car in the winter now since i got a beater now

but when i used to have to drive it in the winter. i just made sure to wash the car as much as possible to keep the salt off so it didnt rust. never really had an issue.

Modified by Lewy. Dee Ayy at 10:44 AM 10/27/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool, im glad to hear ppl are nice and that the change of weather was for the better.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slvrlude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slvrlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, just to add on to the weather comments, winter is really cold....fall and spring are seasonable, and we just had a pretty hot summer, so get used to that. As far as driving, the potholes are pretty bad in some places, so be careful if your car is slammed. And if you can get a second car for the winter, i would suggest you do---the salt will take a toll on the car and the snow can pile up pretty good on the side streets enough to rip off a lip or side skirts. As far as neighborhoods, downtown can get expensive to rent, so i would suggest staying on the outskirts of the city, but close enough to the train station somewhere. I live on the southside of chicago, about 10 minutes from midway airport. Just try to do some research</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh ok, i noticed you said to try and get near a train station... is it common that people use public transit even when the have their own vehicles? i know here in fl, public transit isnt is kinda looked down upon but i think it may be because it isnt much of a big city here in palm beach...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good thing you metioned opprotunity.. here in fl ive been getting into nothing but trouble and its so hard to find work till it gets tiresom just looking... im assuming the workforce there has a lot more to offer?...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and also great heads up on the theft thing, car theives are everywhere but I will be sure not to underestimate them. besides the theft, hows the rest of the scene there? any good shops to check out or local "go to guys" for when i need work done... wiring, tuning, ect...?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotormikey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

oh ok, i noticed you said to try and get near a train station... is it common that people use public transit even when the have their own vehicles? i know here in fl, public transit isnt is kinda looked down upon but i think it may be because it isnt much of a big city here in palm beach...</TD></TR></TABLE>

not just the fact if u go to school or work downtown where ur car is parked outside it gets jacked.

better to take a risk park it a garage lock it down take of ecu, distributor take all the prevented measure to keep ur car. if have a daily driver then ur all good.

Also depending on where u plan to work the traffic get heavy you can save time an gas using public transit.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotormikey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and also great heads up on the theft thing, car theives are everywhere but I will be sure not to underestimate them. besides the theft, hows the rest of the scene there? any good shops to check out or local "go to guys" for when i need work done... wiring, tuning, ect...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

we have an awesome "scene" in chicago.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2356405 you should check that thread. all the locals hang out in it.

also http://www.mwir.net is a local forum lots of good people on there
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lewy. Dee Ayy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lewy. Dee Ayy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

we have an awesome "scene" in chicago.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2356405 you should check that thread. all the locals hang out in it.

also http://www.mwir.net is a local forum lots of good people on there </TD></TR></TABLE>

man, that mwir site is really impressive, im glad to see that there are local forums that you guys have and also i see that there's a track near by
Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotormikey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
good thing you metioned opprotunity.. here in fl ive been getting into nothing but trouble and its so hard to find work till it gets tiresom just looking... im assuming the workforce there has a lot more to offer?...
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually Florida is pretty hard to find jobs from what I hear, so I'm not surprised that you mention that. I have a couple friends out thier so I know more or less. Look in Craigslist.org and look into Chicago jobs you'll see thier are jobs out thier. CHicago is also known for all kinds of arts. What specifically are you getting to?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotormikey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and also great heads up on the theft thing, car theives are everywhere but I will be sure not to underestimate them. besides the theft, hows the rest of the scene there? any good shops to check out or local "go to guys" for when i need work done... wiring, tuning, ect...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its bad out here when it comes to thieves. My own personal expierence has been where twice my car has ALMOST been stolen twice. The first time was my Dad's fault for leaving the garage open. Luckily my alarm and the the clubs gave me time to run out. Second time, I found my hood open. Its sucks. Ever since everything is locked.
Thier are plenty of tuners out here. You got Pro Functions, RC AutoWorks, and plenty more. Those are the only one that come to mind at the moment.
Thiers 3 tracks out here. DragLakesRaceWay A.K.A. DaGrove. One in Byron and U.S. 41 all three from Chicago an hour a way, depends your location.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigZeke5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Actually Florida is pretty hard to find jobs from what I hear, so I'm not surprised that you mention that. I have a couple friends out thier so I know more or less. Look in Craigslist.org and look into Chicago jobs you'll see thier are jobs out thier. CHicago is also known for all kinds of arts. What specifically are you getting to?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i right now im a student of residential interior design.. im sure chicago is full of that kinda stuff..
Old 10-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 10-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i right now im a student of residential interior design.. im sure chicago is full of that kinda stuff..</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a lot people doing it, and a lot more people wanting to hire lol. atleast from what I see.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99-Si-Lurv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99-Si-Lurv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's a lot people doing it, and a lot more people wanting to hire lol. atleast from what I see.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I sure do hope so.. itd be great to find work within a reasonable time frame once im there.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: moving from florida to CHICAGO... info needed.. (allmotormikey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotormikey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok guys, im trying this again, there are plenty of you guys that are from chicago and im looking for insight as to good areas to move to and bad areas to avoid. I plan on attending the art institute of chicago, so any one who knows the area or possibly attends the school, id appreciate if i could get a bit of insight. I'd also love to know about the car scenes out there and what measures id need to take as far as adapting to the climate you guys have in the winter... thanks fo any responses given, and dont forget to rep your city... </TD></TR></TABLE>

chicago SUCKS!!!! don't let those pretty picture fool you.

1.gas price are among highest in the states
2.chicago tax is 10.25% right now
3.propery tax go up every year (rent will go up aswell), despite property value
4.electricity go up (Com Ed)
5.gas bill go up (People's Energy) especially winter times
6.CTA bus fare will go up next year, almost layoff 2,000 employee and bus line cut
7.chicago police are ********
8.to boost up revenue, cops are busy writing more parking tickets
9.to boost up revenue, more parking meters were made
10.Daley plans to have 20,000 more cameras in chicago next year
11.street cleaning every week, they post a sign and write ticket, without any street cleaning
12.speed bumps were almost every street, good luck if your car is lowered

the list keep going on and on, im too tire of chicago, always want to leave, my advice is dont come to chicago, pick some place esle
Old 11-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: moving from florida to CHICAGO... info needed.. (placid888)

yes. Very true to what placid888 said.
11, Depends where you live cuz I don't have that problem.
Don't know about 12. Only on small streets. That because we have a bunch of ******** driver. In my block thiers over 20 kids and cars would pass by super fast. Ever since the speed bumps, its been good.
If your car is lowered properly you'll be fine. If its slammed to the ground to where your wheels are halfway inside the fender, you know the rest.
Other than that, everything is right.

Pending what type of apartment you live in you can get away with not paying for heat and electricity. That would be included with your rent.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just live in the burbs near the train station, it's the cheapest way instead of living in the city or bringing your car and pay 20 bucks for parking.. southside =]