Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

Retrofit, Which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retrofit, Which way to go?

Hey guys,

Few months ago I bought an PNP HID kit. At that time I honestly did not know anything about Projectors, Retrofits or anything. I honestly thought HIDs were HIDs and the only thing that varied between them was the Kelvin scale for the bulbs.

When I got them, I mounted the ballasts and got it working and was immediately like WTF. I drove around like that for awhile with the light scattered about the road worse than my Halogens, not to mention people flashing there High Beams in my face. I then started researching and realized how SHITTY PNP kits were and do it right with a car that didn't come stock with HIDs that you needed to Retrofit. So off came the HIDs and back in the Halogens, the HID kit has been in a box ever since in my garage.

I have some money now and want to do a retrofit. I have been looking around on "The Retrofit Source" and looking at there Complete kits.

They have a kit for $280.00 that lets you convert your "NASTY" PNPs to work with Projectors so you can retrofit. So I have looked at that. That kit is called "PNP To Projector upgrade Kit".

I have also looked at the "FX-R Bi-Xenon Stage 3 kit" which is $380.00.

Would the kit for converting my "box bound" PNP kit into Projectors be worth it. Or would the FX-R Stage 3 be the ticket? Or how about neither, thats an option also.

Any help/insight would be great, I'll be doing the actual retrofit myself. TIA.

EDIT: Sorry guys for the double post, I typed this one, hit submit and my computer did some crazy ****. Upon logging back in and refreshing the page a million times this post never showed up. So I re-typed it and hit submit and bam..this one showed up then as well as the one I retyped. I apologize even though its my computers fault.

Last edited by Matt93eg; 02-02-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Retrofit, Which way to go?

That PNP upgrade kit seems like a good idea assuming your PNP ballasts are any good. It solves the glare problem with real projectors and you can get the 4300K (OEM color) bulbs. Then if your PNP ballasts take a crap later you can just swap them with a good set like Matsu's or something. Id go for it. Just be ready to pull apart your headlights and do some hole cutting, epoxying, drilling, bolting whatever to get the projectors to fit.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check this out for ideas these are Sentra headlights but The idea is cool And i think this method would work the best for what you want Appearance wise
Originally Posted by EvoMR
Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the responses. The only thing I don't like about doing the PNP upgrade is I won't have high beams. I don't know if that's an issue for passing a safety inspection around here but I will have to look into it. Plus I'd still like to have the high beam so I am leaning a bit more towards the Bi-Xenon kit right now. That way when I am on those dark curvy back roads I can see a bit farther.

I emailed the guys at TRS today and it looks like I will for sure need to find a "clear" plastic or glass lens for my headlight assemblies to get the best output from the projectors. I can't find anywhere though, I think I found some new headlight assemblies on eBay with clear lenses but I don't want to buy new assemblies, just 2 clear lenses damnit. I'll keep looking.

If you guys find any, let me know.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you planning on using the stock housings? I've read somewhere that the output with retrofitted projectors behind the stock flutted lens headlights aren't so great
Old 02-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He will need to get an aftermarket clear lens housing. The stock fluted will mess up the cutoff. I used the TYC on my 94 Coupe

Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I will be using a clear lense. I was "hoping" to just find 2 clear lenses and put it back on in place of the flutted lense. But I can't find any lenses so I guess I will have to buy some headlights off ebay that have the clear lenses and then retrofit the projectors into those. Which means I have some more saving to do. Most Headlights on ebay with the clear lenses are at least 100 bucks. I hadn't figured that into the equation.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am a newbiee at this as well. do you guys make your own harness for your hid retrofit kits? I mean after you go with your projectors and shrouds and all. do you have to make a custom harness for your hids?

Last edited by Markb16a; 05-20-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

old thread but its relevant. I got a harness from the Retrofit source. It has the correct sized wiring and a built in relay so it works just like stock. It plugs right into your factory harness. feel free to PM me .