Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

Retro Question (94-97 Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retro Question (94-97 Accord)

Hi. I have a '94 Accord with OEM headlights. My brother just did a retrofit with TSX projectors on his '97 Accord. The output on one headlight is fine but the other has a messed up beam pattern. What could be the problem? I read somewhere that it could be the sitting of the bulb but it looks really messed up (compared to a picture i saw and what people mentioned). the output is really concentrated in the middle and goes crazy high on the left of the beam pattern. The projector, on the right (passenger), is the one im talking about. The left is higher than the right and it doesn't even glare when looking at it.
Any ideas?
I want to do the same but what do you guys suggest? One of them is slightly tilted in the horizontal. What can i do to fix that? Also, the light was basically on the floor the 1st time. He had to tilt the headlight all the way up to get it up. What can i do to fix that in the very beginning?
Do the 3 lines on the lense of the housing be the ones affecting the light?
Also heard that because they are aftermarket bulbs that it might not be very good. But one does work quite well.. What is wrong with the other?
Sorry so many questions. lol.
Anyone got a good DIY to look at, that isn't from HID planet? I tried to register but i never got the email to verify.

I was looking at:
-ebay TSX projectors (about $100-130)
-philips bulbs (retrofitsource) and use my old aftermarket ballasts (xenith xenon)
-D2S adaptors (retrofitsource or ebay)
-no covering or w/e.. dont care.
-brother used aluminum tape to cover up the whole in the back of the housing + projector?

any ideas.. thanks.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Retro Question (94-97 Accord)

First, I would snap some pics so we can actually see what you're talking about. I'm kind of confused as to what's wrong with your bro's retrofit. Second, I would register on the forums over at hidplanet.com and post the pics, etc. They're WAY more helpful when it comes to stuff like that than this forum and a lot quicker to respond. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The fluting in the headlights scatters light, you'll notice cars with OEM HID's do not have them. That might be making the problem worse if the bulb is in crooked
Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sry i haven't been able to post. but my brother just checked it and it happened to be the bulb. the bulb is literally falling apart. i never saw the bulbs in the beginning so i dont know if he did it or it was broken already but either way.
pretty sure thats the problem.
didn't align right since it was broken.
we haven't tried putting the other one in the other projector but we'll see.

does anyone know where to get s2k projectors for cheaper? there was some AP1s on eBay but they went for $350.
or can you guys tell me if it really is a big difference between the TSX and the S2K? is it really worth it when i live in the city and theres already a lot of lights and it isn't always a huge difference in light.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:53 PM

Performance wise I don't think there's too much of a difference, especially if most your driving is done in the city. I would check out HIDplanet.com's forums, they have lots of comparison pictures. If it was me though, I would go with the TSX projectors with clear lenses and save the money.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by tyronne1126
sry i haven't been able to post. but my brother just checked it and it happened to be the bulb. the bulb is literally falling apart. i never saw the bulbs in the beginning so i dont know if he did it or it was broken already but either way.
pretty sure thats the problem.
didn't align right since it was broken.
we haven't tried putting the other one in the other projector but we'll see.

does anyone know where to get s2k projectors for cheaper? there was some AP1s on eBay but they went for $350.
or can you guys tell me if it really is a big difference between the TSX and the S2K? is it really worth it when i live in the city and theres already a lot of lights and it isn't always a huge difference in light.
honestly... you'd probably be better off getting some FXs for way cheaper... i've got FXs in my car and they are suprisingly wide... output is pretty good with teh width too... you can always use the TSX clear lens to get a sharper cleaner cutoff line too... that would be my suggestion... plus, with the FXs you get high/low also... instead of the single xenon from the tsx and s2k...
Old 04-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$300-$350 is about what s2k projectors go for now days. Probably in a couple of years, the price will be even higher since they're kind of rare. As for choosing a setup, FX's are good since they're bi-xenon, but I'd probably go with some TSX's. Even though they're single xenon projectors, I still like them over FX's.

I've had 4 different types of setups on my car(e46, TSX, s2k, now FX w/clear lenses) I definitely liked my s2k setup the best, but TSX's would be my 2nd best setup. They had a nice wide light output and pretty sharp cutoff. I may eventually sell my FX setup and just go back to having TSX projectors. If you'd like to check out some of my work, you can visit my myspace page myspace.com/bceretrofits I've retrofitted a few pairs of Accord headlights