Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

Important: Don't Forget to Clean Out the INSIDE of Your Lenses...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How To: Clean Out the INSIDE of Headlights to OEM Perfection **

Hello all, after completing a few Honda projects in my day, I thought I would share something I have found to be a critical (and often neglected) part of any "lighting upgrade" to our Hondas...or any car, for that matter. And that is: cleaning out the INSIDE of the headlight housings.

Here's a quick DIY tutorial I have found to work well and leave the inside of the lights in "like new" condition.

Time needed: at least 24 hours (due to drying time).

- Take off the lights (you have to, in order to do all this)

- Go ahead and clean the entire (back and front) of the housing with degreaser. I use a combo of toothbrush and a walmart dish-cleaner to make quick work of this.

** Disclaimer: Using Purple Power or Super Degreaser CAN make some aftermarket housing "chrome plating" paint release inside the housing. OEM chrome plating/paint is very strong however, and can put up to any exposure to a heavy degreaser. If you want, Soapy water can be used as a substitute to degreaser. I had some Depo chrome paint come off inside a housing on me one time. Proceed using caution with degreasers**

- Spray some degreaser or soap into the hole(s) in the back of the housings. Then, lightly hose some water in. Put your hand over the hole and shake the degreaser around really good. Turn over and Drain.

- repeat process once more.

- Continue with hosing in water (only) into the housing. Shake well and pour out the water. Repeat this process until the water runs out clean (with no suds). This usually takes about 9-10 cycles of this per light.

- Once fully cleaned and FULLY rinsed, lay out IN THE SUN and let air dry. I've found that it is best to air dry them for a minimum of 24 hours, if not more. For best results, allow them to dry for a few days. THEN re-install the bulbs and rubber grommets. This process will avoid any possible condensation.

This process, followed by proper exterior lens restoration (for plastic lenses) is a must for optimum lens restoration and lighting output.

*Trick: I found it is great to do this mod, THEN do the exterior restoration work (wet sanding/polishing/etc...) while the inside of the lenses is still wet, THEN let it air dry. Otherwise you wait 3 days for the insides to the interior to air dry, then get the lens wet again with the exterior restoration, and have to wait even more for THAT to air dry*

Hope this helps some of you!

Last edited by OG Wagon; 10-02-2014 at 08:57 AM.