Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

6th gen civic trunk light not working?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th gen civic trunk light not working?

I recently picked up my 1999 EM1 and have been going through the process of changing all bulbs to LED. Upon changing my trunk light to LED, the light has decided to stop working. It ran perfectly fine with the LED bulb for about a week. I tried reinstalling the original bulb which is still good, however still not working. I have tested connections with my multimeter, plug is still reading 12v, and continuity through the part that the bulb sits in to. I can’t seem to figure out why the light won’t turn on. Trunk Latch seems to be retracting perfectly fine. All other lights are working. Have checked fuses and they seem to be fine. What would be the next step? Trunk light is super handy as I work nights and having that visibility in the night time is ideal as I keep my stuff in the trunk, so I’m really determined to fix the issue. Any help is appreciated!
Old 12-17-2023, 01:08 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: 6th gen civic trunk light not working?

If you're getting 12 volts (+) at the connector to the trunk light and the bulb is good, then it is missing the ground (-)

At the trunk latch, unplug the electrical connector. Then insert a wire or a small paper clip into the two cavity terminals of the unplug harness connector. Does the trunk light now illuminated? If it does, the trunk latch switch contacts (electrical portion of the latch) is not closing to allow the ground to go through.
Old 12-17-2023, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 6th gen civic trunk light not working?

Originally Posted by tech8
If you're getting 12 volts (+) at the connector to the trunk light and the bulb is good, then it is missing the ground (-)

At the trunk latch, unplug the electrical connector. Then insert a wire or a small paper clip into the two cavity terminals of the unplug harness connector. Does the trunk light now illuminated? If it does, the trunk latch switch contacts (electrical portion of the latch) is not closing to allow the ground to go through.

Ah okay I haven’t actually looked into that I will definitely check that out today and see if it works! That does make sense though so I’m hoping that’s the cause, fingers crossed. Appreciate your help!